Fabricio Werdum vs. Mike Kyle confirmed for “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg”

Mike KyleAfter multiple reports of Fabricio Werdum being scratched from the upcoming Strikeforce card altogether, a heavyweight match-up pitting the highly rated Brazilian up against Amercican Kickboxing Academy’s Mike Kyle has recently been secured for the event.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was recently able to confirm the signing of the bout through Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz.

Werdum was slated to face off with current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem before a nagging hand injury forced Overeem to the sidelines.

The black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu first made his name in mixed martial arts as Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic’s Jiu-Jitsu instructor during the PRIDE days and has since gone on to compile an impressive record of 11-4 while competing primarily for the PRIDE and UFC promotions. Werdum has gone 3-3 in his last six bouts while picking up wins over Aleksander Emelianenko, Gabriel Gonzaga and Brandon Vera, and dropping fights to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Andrei Arlovski and Junior dos Santos.

Fellow UFC veteran Mike Kyle took a lot of people by surprise when he gave a heavily favored Rafael Cavalcante a vicious beating en route to a second round TKO in their light-heavyweight contest that was held at “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6. Kyle will be returning to heavyweight for this fight with Werdum, where he has previously picked up wins over fighters such as Tsuyoshi Kosaka, Wes Sims and “Scary” Jerry Vrbanovich.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, I’ve said it too many times already

Strikeforce: Patchwork Quilt

• metalmulisha says:

I hope this fight makes the broadcast.

Kyle’s huge upset of Feijao didn’t make it to TV because of that god awful Randleman/Whitehead fight.

Werdum should win, but so should have Feijao. However it ends I’d bet money it doesn’t make it to a decision. Relatively quick Werdum sub or a huge upset KO for Kyle. Then there’s also the chance Kyle could snap I guess and get a DQ.
    But whatever happens I want to see it.

This event has a 2 and a half hour time slot so if a couple of the 5 round fights end early hopefully it makes the TV broadcast.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I know I crack on it a lot, but yeah, I’ll still watch.

Is there a possibility that it won’t make the televised card?

• metalmulisha says:

Yeah there’s a chance it won’t make the broadcast.
    It’s on the undercard, but it’s the swing bout. If there’s enough time it’ll be on.
    If these title fights go the distance or 3 out of 4 do we won’t see it, but I’d be shocked if any of the fights aside from Melendez/Ishida went the full 5 rounds.

• God, I hope Werdum wins for the sheer fact that I will kill myself if Strikeforce pits Fedor against Kyle in the near future…

• Jak says:

So instead of Overeem/Rogers we got Overeem/Werdum, then we got a possible Werdum/Rogers and now we finish off with Werdum/Kyle…

Not a big Werdum fan, not a big Kyle fan either. than again who is? 😕

• dpk says:

I think Sergio is right on for this one.

• I was at the PFC when Mike Kyle pulled that bullshit. Had Olsen been a hometown boy and not from the east coast Mike would have had a pretty tough time making it out of the event that night. I couldn’t imagine what would happen if someone did that to Poppies Martinez or one of the other native fighters from Lemoore.

• JollyDV says:

The way this card keeps changing, they should invest in some erasers. All that scratching is bound to leave holes in the paper.

Bring it WERDUM!!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’m telling you, all that’s left is Carano or Santos to miss weight.

All jokes aside though (And I am the WORST one for cracking jokes on SF) I’m glad they are at least trying to make a go of it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is it true that Barnett still COULD HAVE fought since he wasn’t immidiately suspended?

• JollyDV says:

Ozz- I truly don’t believe they will /would give him a license since he failed both the A and B test prior to the 1 Aug. I imagine they may “like any other person” figure he has been using and therefore chose not to give him one.

You just said the dirty word! Make weight!,lol.I sure hope at least this TIME the ladies will make weight.Please. Something go right!!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think people have to understand though, the ladies have a little issue (you know) from time to time that are going to make weight cutting nearly IMPOSSIBLE. I shouldn’t have to spell it out, but I think somehow that does need to be taken into consideration.

• bmwiest says:

So does anyone know if they are selling the undercard fights online or is that thier way a getting people to come to the event?

I find it hard to believe Showtime would not show the whole thing televised sometimes this industry makes no sense to me.

• JollyDV says:

Ozz, as a female, I am going to disagree. Women know what day their friend is coming to visit every month. If it happens that you have a fight booked for that week,you work harder and get down an extra 5pds. or so. Or even better, you get a shot that keeps your cycle from coming around. I can’t imagine a female that is training for an MMA fight also trying to conceive. (granted the shot may go against ones religion, it is an option.)

• fanoftna33 says:

I belive I read that they are giving the ladies a extra 5 lbs for this title fight(145- instead of 140) that should help out with the weight issues.

• JollyDV says:

Well, friends, enemies, whoever shows up, I am looking forward to the fight!! Just make sure Stitch has some tampons and panty liners in his bucket.lol.

• edub says:

Thats just nasty.

• Rich S. says:

It’s OBVIOUS that this won’t go to a decision, but I don’t think it’ll go past the 1:30 mark..

Kyle is weak in submissions, and would most likely lose instantly on the ground..

Kyle definitely has a chance, though.. A puncher’s chance..
    His hands are extremely heavy.. If he could somehow be patient, avoid the takedowns, and catch Werdum at the right time, he could steal this one..

I just don’t see that happening, though..

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Shakes head and laughs @ “tampons and panty liners in his bucket.”

I’m not a woman, so I don’t know how that stuff works. I guess there is stuff out there that can completely supress a period. I don’t know.

I can’t believe I’m actually talking about this……

• fanoftna33 says:

Acually as a former emt maxi pads are a very effective way to stop blood.