CSAC: Josh Barnett’s “B” Sample also positive.

On Friday California State Athletic Commission representatives confirmed that the “B” sample submitted by fighter Josh Barnett came back positive for the same metabolite of the anabolic steroid Drostanolone as his original sample.

Barnett , who was scheduled to fight Fedor Emelianenko at the now canceled Affliction: Trilogy event on August 1, has since denied knowingly taking any banned substances.

It remains unclear if Barnett plans an appeal of the CSAC’s findings.

If left unchallenged this would third time the heavyweight has tested positive. Barnett had tested positive for steriods in both 2001, and in 2003 following a victory over Randy Couture causing him to be stripped of the UFC heavyweight championship.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Well, his manager says “Barnett vehemently denies intentionally ingesting any banned substances in preparation for the Aug. 1 fight.”

Whatever. Your career in the USA is over, and shame on anyone that still like this guy.

There is no defense to this.

Shame on you, Josh Barnett

• fanoftna33 says:

I still like barnett, even though he obviously has a problem. Hopefully the athletic commisions here in the states give his a serious penalty this time.I am talking like 5 years. The best thing to come out of this would be some cooperation from the Promotions overseas. If they would step up and tell these guys that if you are caught using we dont want you until you finish the suspension. This is the one thing that makes some MMA fighters seem so hypocritcal, they talk all about finding the best challenge and testing themselfs against the best competition, but it is all bull. Like him or not B J has it right when he talked about the challenge of fighting higher weight classes and win or lose he did it without cheating and by letting everybody kno that you were afraid to lose to your opponent.
    Unfortuntaly money comes in to play here also, the Japanese promotions will not turn down name fighters because of drug suspensions due to the fact that they will make money off of them. Lets say Barnette never got caught and won, we would have called him the best ever, Fedor loses tons of respect Josh gets a ton of money and we all pat a cheater on the back.
    After this news I have changed my opinion I dont like Barnette anymore, as a fighter he took a short cut( a third time) and should lose the respect of the whole MMA community.

• fanoftna33 says:

Oh yeah and the famous words of almost every steriod user(Chris Leben and Hermese Franca aside since they copped to it immediatly) I didnt intentionally ingest anything. Great excuse maybe next time, and there will be a next time, we will get a better excuse.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I almost said shame on you due to the first line of your post, but then you changed your mind in the last line.

I was ready, too!! LOL

• David Andrest says:

Ozz staight up looking to pull out the flame thrower this morning. LOL

I agree Fanoftna I don’t condone it, but it’s much easier to forgive and actually listen to the possible reasons WHY someone was using, if they just fess up and stop trying to call BS on every failed test.

I didn’t know what I was ingesting/injecting is not a valid excuse for a grown up. We can’t bang the drum about how proud we are of our athletes and how they are well rounded intelligent guys with good educations ect…………. and then in the next breath try to sell people that they didn’t realize what they were eating, taking or injecting.

• fanoftna33 says:

Sorry to rant so much but these last few days have had so much going on I had to put it out there. I am glad you read it all though ozz.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Once, maybe twice, I probably could forgive. But three times? I just don’t get it. You are / were a great fighter. Why the need to cheat?

• moosebaby02 says:

cause he nows that he was going to loose.

• dpk says:

I just read that Sengoku is going to implement drug testing, a great step for the Japanese promotions. I think some people are starting to doubt the results that are coming from over there, because you have no clue who is clean.

• fanoftna33 says:

Yes ozz once maybe twice over a 5-6 year period is to much but we can forgive it, but a third time is a pattern that will not be broken, just think of all the fighters he has beat(assuming they wrent juicing) and how they feel. Man this guy beat me but it is almost guarenteed he was on something. He even beat big nog, semmy schilt, monson, aleksander all in Japan with no testing. His last big win here was tainted. The guy will not change and promoters need to step up and get rid of cheaters like him. He can always go wrestle in the WWE or TNA, at least there its not as big of a deal.

• Jstew3785 says:

4th time he tested positive if you really think about it. One time randomly before the Couture fight, then directly after the Couture fight, before the Fedor fight twice. And the bad part about it is he doesn’t even look like he juices. I mean, do some sit-ups or something. He’s flabby as hell. You think steroid abusers, you would think someone with a physique like Lesnar or maybe Carwin. Carwin is 260-265 and ripped as hell (I’m not saying either guy juices).

• Lord Faust says:

Lack of confidence sullies yet another career. I’m not going to rip on Josh; right now I’m sure he’s feeling pretty lousy. He missed out on a lot of opportunities, both financial and otherwise. I’m sure he’s doing a first rate job of beating himself up.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Yeah, but just in case he got tired, the least I can do is pick up the whip and continue flogging.

• twyg says:

REally you think Josh feels bad? Maybe about getting caught but not about using. This guy has tested positive way too many times for me to think he feels bad. He is a cheater plain and simple, and he probably always has been. Let him go back to Japan where they embrace this kind of nonsense.

• CMT says:

I did not intenionally ingest this whiskey and sprite. It kind of jumped into a glass with ice and sneaked past my lips when I was not looking. I don’t think he feels he is going to lose without steriods, I think he likes the way he feels when he is on them. He is addicted to the rush. Like most addicts.

• CMT says:

A quote that nevers fails: “THE TRUTH IS ALWAYS REVEALED IN THE RESULTS”

• Angry Mike says:

It’s bad enough that he cheated and got caught, but he hurt more people than himself. He cost Fedor the chance to compete, single-handedly brought about the demise of Affliction (maybe it was already doomed, but he killed it), cost a lot of Affliction fighters a paycheck, put them out of work, and, last but not least, disappointed a lot of fans who wanted to see Affliction III. Michael Vick is a complete pariah for less than what Barnett did.

• metalmulisha says:

“Michael Vick is a complete pariah for less than what Barnett did.”

Are you serious?

Barnett apparently took a drug.

Michael Vick was a ringleader in a dog fighting operation and personally drowned and killed dogs who were either unable to fight anymore or wouldn’t fight.

If you really believe that what Barnett did was worse than what Vick did you might want to seek some professional help because you need it.

• Angry Mike says:

metalmulisha:

Calm down. Vick mistreated animals, which is bad, but his was the only career that was hurt. It didn’t affect his team, the sport, or the fans. The football season proceeded without him. Barnett’s behavior harmed Affliction, the fighters on the Affliction III card, fighters signed to Affliction, and the fans. If you compare the harm done to their respective sports, Barnett was worse, and it’s not even close.

P.S. Wouldn’t it be cool if Vick signed with the Browns? Love to see him at the home of the Dog Pound. What fun!

• metalmulisha says:

Angry Mike you should change your screen name to insane mike because Vick is a dog killer and what he did is no where near on the level of what someone who takes a drug had done. That’s absolute craziness.

To say Barnett is worse is not only crazy it’s absolutely fucking stupid.

P.S. hopefully you’ve never been a dog owner in your life and never will.

• Angry Mike says:

I love dogs. With fava beans and a nice chiante.