Avoiding a Catastrophe: Why the NOT signing of Fedor is the best thing the UFC could do

FedorThis week’s mixed martial arts landscape has been dominated by the negotiations between the UFC and Fedor Emelianenko’s management M-1 Global. This is not the first time the UFC has tried to obtain Emelianenko, but it was the first time that actually securing him seemed plausible.

No longer did M-1 demand that UFC had to sign all of Fedor’s Red Devils teammates; the UFC was okay with Fedor fighting in his Combat Sambo tournaments, the UFC is okay with M-1 advertising on Fedor, and a great payday, all previous sticking points for the signing.

In the end, none of this seemed to matter as M-1 continues to refuse to allow Fedor to go to the UFC without the rights to co-promote his fights, an unrealistic request that Dana White and the Fertitas wisely refused to give in to. While I, much like the rest of the MMA world, long to see Randy Couture vs. Fedor, and to a smaller extent Brock vs. Fedor, I have to say that M-1’s refusal to sign a contract with the UFC is probably the best thing that could happen to the UFC in the long run, but not for the reasons many think.

According to nationally syndicated radio host Charmichael Dave, Fedor and M-1 were offered the following:

*Six-fight, $30 Million dollar contract (M-1 has since stated that the offer was closer to $2 million dollars a fight)

*Immediate title shot against Brock Lesnar

*M-1 would receive a cut of the Lesnar vs. Fedor PPV in addition to Fedor’s purse.

*Fedor could wear any M-1 merchandise he wanted to.

*Emelianenko could fight in Combat Sambo.

Why anyone would refuse this contract is beyond me. However, in the end this contract was great for Fedor but bad for the rest of MMA. I am one of the biggest supporters of a fighter’s union, namely because I am fully aware of the disparity between fighters and promoters but the simple fact is that if this contract had been signed it would have spelled the end for many small time promotion companies, and potentially the larger Strikeforce and UFC, much like MLB, the NBA, and the NFL. Once the contract was signed the question would immediately arise regarding how much a fighter is worth in comparison to Fedor. Once this issue comes up, then comes the cut in profits, which was ultimately the main contributor in the death of Affliction MMA.

Take for example, UFC 100 reportedly had 1.72 million buys. 1.72 million buys at $50 a buy equates to upwards of $85 million dollars. With salaries making up less than 2% of that cost, Zuffa Inc. has figured out how to become one of the most profitable promotions of any sport in the world. But if we take a look at what a main card fighter makes comparable to what his worth is (at least in my opinion) before the signing of Fedor (the amount they did make at UFC 100) and what they would have made after the signing of Emelianenko (hypothetically what they would have been paid at UFC 100). Observe the difference that it would have had on the profit.

{Note: these numbers include any post fight or win bonuses with the exception of the $100,000 Fight bonuses.}

Pre Fedor: Brock Lesnar earned $400,000 Post Fedor: $4 million

Lesnar is the biggest draw in MMA right now. Whether you love him or hate him, 99% of everyone who purchased UFC 100 will cite Lesnar as their reason. Add to the fact that he is the champion who has beat Heath Herring and Randy Couture, I feel he does deserve the right to command that kind of money when compared to Fedor.

Pre: Frank Mir earned $45,000 Post: $1.5 Million

Mir is a great fighter who knows how to sell himself and PPV’s. While he may not draw in the viewers as Lesnar does, he is a former champion, the only man to ever finish Nog and the only man to make Brock tap. Regardless of how he performed at UFC 100 there is still room here for a rubber match if he loses and a big build up if he wins.

Pre: GSP earned $400,000 Post: $4 Million

GSP is without a doubt one of the easiest fighters to justify this kind of money. He is the sole reason that the UFC sells the PPV’s and shows they do in Canada. The man has beaten some of the biggest names in the UFC, is always game for a great fight and capable of going up in class to fight other big name fighters such as Anderson Silva.

Pre: Thiago Alves earned $60,000 Post: $500,000

His defeat of Matt Hughes puts him at this amount. Alves does not sell PPV’s but is a worthy fighter who is trying to build up his popularity. The fact that he did show up overweight against Hughes makes him an untrustworthy fighter that cannot be depended on for the million dollar salaries.

Pre: Dan Henderson earned $250,000 Post: $4 million

Hendo is every bit worth the four and possibly five million as Fedor, or anyone else in MMA. Fedor has held the two weight class titles consecutively and has the best chance at beating Silva. Hendo, while not the most charismatic fighter, does sell PPV’s.

Pre: Michael Bisping earned $150,000 Post: $350,000

I am sorry but Bisping hasn’t defeated anyone to warrant me paying him anything more than $350,000, and truth be told if it wasn’t for his ability to sell PPV’s in the UK I would keep him at the $150-250k level.

Pre: Akiyama earned $60,000 Post: $60,000

To most of the American MMA audience it is “Aki-who?”. Enough said.

Pre: Alan Belcher earned $19,000 Post: 75,000

Belcher is a mid card fighter who can hit the upper card at any given point. While he is not a headliner yet, he is not too far from it. Belcher is much like a back-up quarterback you pay good money for even though you may never use him. It’s when you need him to put on a hell of a show it is worth the money.

Pre: Jon Fitch earned $90,000 Post:$200,000

Fitch just came off a loss to GSP but gave a hell of a performance and is nowhere near even the middle level for a fighter. Fitch is still a top level fighter who deserves top level money as he can challenge for the title at any moment.

Looking only at these fighters who comprised the main card of UFC 100, we see that the pre-Fedor signing was $1,474,000 or 1.73% percent of the $85 million dollar take. Once the massive Fedor contract is signed that number jumps with just these guys to $14,685,000 or 17.27%. This means that before Emelianenko opens the floodgates of egos and demands, the UFC would have save over $13 million by not signing him.

This is just one PPV. We still have five more PPV’s before Fedor’s contract is fulfilled, by which time we will have to add more fighters to this list of big money. So while my logic may be simply hypothetical and the numbers based on my opinion, over the course of six PPV’s, the UFC will be out an additional $78 million.

Before everyone starts jumping the gun on the “Well these guys are already under contract”; I am aware of that, but once those contracts end, where do you think the beginning of the new negotiations will start. Do you think Rampage, Couture, Lesnar, Liddell, Franklin, Silva, GSP or any of the other big names will settle for $250,000-400,000 a fight knowing that Fedor is pulling in $6 million or even the $2 million that M-1 claims they were offered? Of course not. This will trickle down to the smaller promotional groups as time progresses.

That is why in the end, while we may not get the fights we want to see and Dana may not get to prove that he is the greatest Promoter in ANY sport, we do get to preserve the fights we do get and hopefully see some of that money put to better usage, such as insurance for the fighters.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Great article John. I, as well as pretty much anyone else, would love to see Fedor in the sport, but as it’s been pounded into the grounnd the last few days, enough is enough.

MMA is getting bigger by the day, and along with that growth will come bigger benefits and compensation. It must be, I believe, a controlled growth though. You hit the nail on the head by saying you can’t set the bar too high.

• meatloaf says:

Why would you put Charmichael Dave’s outrageous claims in this story?
    Since those ridiculous numbers came out he’s said himself in a couple different interviews that he thinks he was used by his UFC source that gave him that information to just stir up an anti Fedor bias on MMA blogs and message boards and it worked because people believe everything they read and are gullible.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Then why are you here? Why comment?

• meatloaf says:

“Then why are you here? Why comment?”

Are you serious?

How dumb can you be I’m pointing out to the guy that wrote this article that he’s including information in his story by a guy who’s admitted it’s not accurate and he believes he was used a bit to report it.

What the hell do you mean why comment?
    What in my previous post would initiate a response of “Then why are you here”
    WTF?

• Jak says:

i wrote this on another page, but i’ll put it here because i totally agree.

“i think it is a lot like Machida and Silva, both those guys are the best at what they do, however, until UFC 98, neither had good PPV numbers. In the UFC although they are champs they are just a few in a large stable of fighters. If they were outside the UFC they would be marketed as “the best ever” and they would want to get paid on a level with “the best ever”, regardless of whether they actually bring in good PPV numbers.

Personally i’m glad Fedor turned the UFC down because even if the #’s were close to some of what was reported that was still WAY TO HIGH for Emelianenko. Lesnar and Gsp can bring in 1.5 million buys and make a fraction of what they were willing to pay Fedor, and it’s not like they would sell a million buys if they gave Fedor a can, they would sell over a million buys if the fight included Lesnar or Couture… that doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

I believe if this had gone through the UFC would have woken up today with a large hangover of buyers remorse. I’m sure with the few shows Affliction and Bodog were able to put on and the amount they lost, they likely have quite the buyers remorse when looking back on those kind of business decisions.

that’s just my opinion though.”

• dpk says:

The overall point of the article is well taken, Fedor’s potential contract could have changed the MMA pay scale upside down. I’m sure GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida, BJ, even Miguel Torres would have taken Dana’s words that they were all better than Fedor PFP, and used them in the next contract negotiation. What the article doesn’t mention is that UFC is well know for giving out locker room bonuses that are never reported. It also doesn’t mention that guys like Lesnar, Chuck, Tito, and other headliners usually get a portion of the PPV sales. Lesnar was going to make around $3 mil, for 1.5 million buys, so if it actually did 1.72 million sales he probably made over $3 million. Jon Fitch has said that he made $169,000 for fighting GSP. It was rumored that Keith Jardine made somewhere between $80-90K for his fight with Wandy. I guess what I’m saying is, there is no way that Frank Mir only made $45K for this fight, and no way Alves only made $60K. The other part of this is how much money UFC puts into lobbying to get MMA regulated in different states, and countries so that they can continue to grow the sport around the world. UFC has more expenses for promotion of their events, just think about how many UFC 100 commercials you saw leading up to the fight, those were not free. UFC makes a ton of money, but they also have a lot of expenses that they take onto promote the sport, and their fighters.

• Jak says:

DPK… so true with the potential of changing the pay scale, this is easily could have been the catalyst to seeing the UFC over pay fighters and that would have been terrible.

I could totally see fighters having a great highlight reel knock out and then sitting out to restructure their contracts just like other primadonnas do in other sports.

• moosebaby02 says:

I thought the article was informative and has great points as well. Is it me or does this whole contract thing with fedor seems like the same thing that boxers would do when trying to sign fights wanting this and that and so much and where they want to fight or no fight at all……wait isn’t boxing DEAD???? I guess fedor not signing is a great thing for mma in the long run cause I love mma and hopes its here forever

• Kamakosmo says:

Not smooching anyone’s ass here, but I have to comment on the Intelligence of most, if not all posters here. I have yet to read anyone malicously attacking anyone else, name calling, and any “Momma” references. Which is awesome. Go read some other sites (i.e MLB, NFL, shit, any site that allows you to make a comment about anything) and all you’ll see, eventually, is peeps slamming each other. Thank you everyone for keeping your cool, and talking like adults.

Not only that, there are some smart motherfuckers who know their MMA shit here! At times I’m almost afraid to make a comment in the fear that 25 of you’s will lambast me! Thanks for the fun.

• moosebaby02 says:

even though it is my first day of posting on here but been reading for months right back at ya Kamakosmo. i hear (read) what your saying

• slappy says:

doin the PPV numbers isnt’ right

Zuffa and UFC aint pullin in 85 million so without that being correct it throws off the entire article.

• MMASwami says:

WTF do people care so much about how much fighters get paid? And do you really believe that Frank Mir only got paid 45k for his fight against Lesnar? Jesus, this site used to be filled with really good content and insightful opinions. Now it is just retarded oped after retarded oped. Sad…….

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Well, I actually got called out earlier for not remembering a fighter over on the WEC thread!

Kudos to Jstew for being nice about it!! After I looked at a picture I remembered the guy anyway. But yeah, this is exactly why I came to this site. Intellectual conversations where people don’t blast each other.

I’ve went to war on here a few times, but have always buried the hatchet in the end. Dr. Stoppage, you know who I’m talking about, LOL

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Excellent 5 Oz. debut Curry! Glad to have you here!

• Djangoplata says:

Looks like this John Curry is just …….

STAFF: If you disagree with the article or its premise, state why. But DO NOT insult the authors at 5 Oz’s, or anyone else on these message boards for that matter. That behavior will not be tolerated. You have been warned.

• Kamakosmo says:

Not for nothing, but who in the hell is Djangoplata?

• metalmulisha says:

Ah what did he say I missed it!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Trust me guys, you didn’t miss anything that was worth relevance.

Bad form.

• CMT says:

Pretty good article. If the PPV buy information is correct, then Zuffa knows how to make some coin. Should the fighters make more money, hell I don’t know, but professional football, baseball, and basketball salaries have gotten out of hand. I guess if you can negotiate a big payday, then more powerr to you. I have forgot what else I was going to say, damn budget whiskey, and budget Sprite like drink!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Heaven Hill & Lime Shasta never really mix, do they?

• metalmulisha says:

Why not? I’d give it a try.

• cocoonofhorror says:

er, no. this article phaled.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Never ingest liquor that is stored in a plastic bottle. Headache and sorrow are sure to follow.

• TerribleT says:

It doesn’t matter that Fedor didn’t sign on with the UFC because all the UFC fighters know how much or at least in the neighborhood of how much he was offered so they’re already going to be pissed off.Just like the last time ZUFFA tried to negotiate with Fedor.Randy Couture felt disrespected from what he was making compared to what Fedor was offered.The fallout of this negotiation will be lingering for a long long time because many of the UFC’s best fighters won’t even come close to what Fedor was offered for 1 fight in 10 of their fights. This will still end up being a nightmare for ZUFFA and the UFC just wait and see.

• neijia says:

Eventually it’ll be about the “talent” and not the “producers”. It is that way in most forms of entertainment where the talent develops their own big names/brands: boxing, acting, and other individual sports. The Fertitas and White can try to hold that off but the underlying economics will eventually emerge. It doesn’t have to be Couture or Brock or Fedor (though obviously Brock’s paycheck already proves this point).

• saerbarnet says:

spoiler: Brock Lesnar made way more than $400 000 in his fight with Mir

• It would be crazy to see how the fighter pay in the UFC changes if they sign Fedor to a $30mil contract. Silva, GSP and Brock are for sure going to be asking for a cool few million a fight.

• mac wilson says:

I agree with the idea that the UFC wouldn’t be able to pay thier fighters more and be able to keep up the same kind of pressure on uneducated commissions and governments in order to further the sport. That’s too much at the same time.

I have always been torn about the UFC payscale but everytime they open up a new market to the sport it makes me understand it more. They are basically the only representitive of the sport of mixed martial arts……therefore, it takes a lot of effort to combat all the uneducation, critisism,developmental duties of a business they are fairly new to (general growing pains), and the decicisions to make with all the money they are getting.

You can guess at how much money they’re taking home, but at the end of the day you have to take them for face value. And at the end of the day, Dana is single handedly spreading the sport to new areas on the continant and the globe, he is doing all the interviews and taking all the heat and loaded questions designed to paint a picture of this sport, he is taking the fighters to the troops all the time and he did a couple of military shows, he won the humanitarian award from the military, he won sportsman of the year i think…..I could go on but that is enough nut huggin.

Strikeforce, DREAM, and more importantly….M-1 Global….they’re not doing much if anything to develop the sport. DREAM is purely Japan. Wow way to own a market. Strikeforce is pretty much California….not even more than a handfull of states. M-1 is like a leech that will promote any show just not on thier own….it’s like they don’t know how to. I dare them to do a show on thier own, it would be awfull.

My point is a bit overstated at this point but I think the UFC has earned my respect and support….I have not given it to them. As long as they stay as strait shooters….I see no harm in them. They’re definately a good thing. Besides, sometimes when we debate things, we kind of turn to the same old techniques and come back to the same old points. Dana will cut the crap and make himself clear without sugarcoating anything. And I love it. A guy who deals with all the ignorance that he does, needs a bit of an edge.

• Plunkett says:

Firstly, I’m not sure why everybody is saying that Brock sold 1.72 million PPV’s. I’m think the milestone factor, which caused many media outlets to talk about the show in the first place, was more important to the show than Brock. I’m 100% positive that 99% of the people that bought it wouldn’t cite Brock first as their reasoning, though a good amount of people would.

The UFC would get roughly half of that $85 million. So the reported fighters salaries plus bonuses would be about 5% of their PPV revenue, and that doesn’t include things like Brock’s PPV bonus.

I don’t know how you came to the salary numbers you did for the post-Fedor, and I don’t think those numbers are really relevant. It’s not like after Fedor would theoretically come in after that deal and everybody would get paid what they were worth. I’m sure many would have looked at what he was making and wanted to make more, but I don’t think their salaries would have increased that dramatically.

The only situation I could see happening would be a Tito Ortiz-like guy saying “you paid Fedor that much, why not me?” And they would hold out for a deal, they wouldn’t give it to him, and they would end up either coming back or going somewhere else where maybe they could make money, but it may not even be as much as they were making before or in the UFC’s proposed deal. And if it is, then you’d have to question how long that organization will stay around, since pretty much all of the current MMA orgs don’t have much money to throw around.

Then again, you stated it was your opinion. So we could argue it all day, but since the deal was turned down we’ll never really know.

• BigDave says:

So lets just let Fedor fade into obscurity. If he is to stupid to take this deal then to hell with him. The only reason to fight in MMA is to make money, don’t let these guys fool you with the “I fight for the love of the sport.” BS. These guys are like all modern athletes they do it for the money and the fame. So fedor, enjoy your time fighting has been and never will bes and we will watch the REAL mma fighters that want to TRUELY face the best compatition there is.

• Austin says:

I love this article in its entirety. The only change/addition I would make, is to point out the obvious perils to co-promoting with M-1.
    Why would anyone WILLINGLY make their competitor stronger?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Dana will cut the crap and make himself clear”
    Dana talks nothing but shi…spin. For example “Fedor sux” thats why you have offered him 5 million a fight.
    “Nobody is wearing their shitty t-shirts anymore” except UFC fighters now.
    “the UFC has the best fighters period” just plain stupidity.
    “Fedor hasn’t fought any real competition in the last two years” Yeah like Hunt (a K1 champion with victories over Bobish, Wanderlei and Crocop), Coleman (a UFC and Pride HW champion who is now in the UFC and who has a record of 16-9 just like Randy! and against opponents that were just as strong if not stronger) and Lindland (a top 10 MW) are not real competition.
    “A guy who deals with all the ignorance”
    If it wasn’t for peoples ignorance he would be laughed off the MMA landscape for some of the truly stupid things he has said in the past.
    I hate Dana because he represents so many things false and corrupt about MMA, he is just a promoter trying to promote his brand, he is no saint and is not the voice of MMA and he has stopped fights that I, as a fan want to see. To be honest if the UFC shut up shop tomorrow, I don’t think MMA would die I just think it would go through a transition and both fans and fighters might just be better off without the one superpower to bully everyone.

• CMT says:

Ozz – Kentucky Deluxe and grocery store lemon lime. The plastic bottle is for getting the last drop by the squeezing method. I did not buy the ppv for Brock, I bought for GSP. I am not a big Brock fan, he has not grown on me yet. I don’t know if this has been covered yet, fighter salaries for UFC 100 was approx. 5% of the ppv revenue. What about the other salaries for other employees associated with the show. They may have grossed 85 mil, but that there are more bills to pay than just fighter salaries. We can speculate how much the UFC made and how much the fighters made, but in the end does it really matter. What it really comes down to is guys are pissed that they have to pay $50 to watch the UFC. We are in a society that thinks everything should be free. Google any topic and put free at the end and it will pop up many websites. The old adage still applies: your are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. I feel I am worth a lot more than my employer is willing to pay me, but I know they are the best around and I want to associated with this company. They may not pay as much, but they are rock solid, like the UFC. If you want to watch every fight for free, be creative, where there is a will there is a way, just make sure you ain’t breaking the law.

PS. You all have googled free UFC # whatever the night of the fight because you did not want to pay.

• stevefiji says:

Interesting premise but the pre-numbers are so far off from reality for the ‘name’ fighters due to unpublished bonuses and PPV percentages. Simple common sense would dictate that Lesnar, Mir, GSP and the other names received a huge amount over Curry’s initial baselne when these other unquantified elements are added in. When you start with something that uses highly minimized and completely unprovable numbers as a basis for a theory, you can’t place much faith in the concrete conclusions one would draw.

The fact that Fedor would set a new standard for the other fighters who Dana all claim are better P4P is thought provoking, but its nowhere near as relevant to fighter compensation as the author would have us believe. Dana has always emphasized the excitement factor when promoting fights and providing preferential status on the card. Headliners do not always equal the best fighters.

It comes down to this. Unless fighters specifically know what other fighters are getting, the UFC can do a great job of keeping the fighter salaries comparatively low.

You can also bet that Dana is doing some Scott Boras-like research on an individual fighter’s Q Rating and how that translates or does not translate into PPV dollars. A fighter better win them all if he doesn’t win them pretty. Otherwise how the hell can The Axe Murderer keep staying at or near the top of cards (and probably making great scratch as well).

One last point. Fedor is 100% unique. HE beat EVERYBODY the world had to offer for a long period of time. He is an icon in the informed MMA world. There will be no more Fedor’s because they will all need tobe in the UFC to gain that type of reputation. Fedor stands alone… in his style, his persona, his record over the last and his compensation will reflect little on others.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, I plead the fifth, but IF I did, it was b/c I was on an offshore rig, and the cheap ass company didn’t want to buy it for the crew!

• shotokai_ says:

I agree with the fundamental point of the article. A single huge contract given by the UFC to Fedor, or somebody else, could unbalance their payroll and the results might of this might not be completely favorable for the UFC. I also think the article would have been more effective if you hadn’t used exact any figures/estimates but rather just explained your theory and thoughts in a continuous piece, this would have at the very least made your points more cogent. But still a promising debut piece for 5oz., well done sir.
    I also want to add that whoever posted the comment(s) towards the top saying that 5oz. has the better readers in comparison to other MMA or sports forums – you’re dead right. Most don’t miss a trick but if people do happen to disagree/mess up it is dealt with in a mature fashion, which I too found very reassuring. Best MMA site to share your views on the net.

• hollywood1978 says:

Let’s say BigDave is right and the only reason to fight is the money… AND since the 5 million a fight is obviously a false number, as someone who was actually present at the negotiations says half of that is still alot higher than what they were offered, if you were a fighter who was just in in for the money then why wouldn’t you take a 1 million a fight offer from Strikeforce to fight on CBS with copromotion of the company you are a part owner in. M1 supposedly paid him 1.3 million in addition to his purse for his Affliction fights. So that puts the total at around 2.3 million a fight with more exposure on CBS and Showtime than he would get on Spike, (7 out of the 10 most viewed fights in US history were in Elite XC on CBS with only something like 4 cards aired!), or strictly ppv for both himself as a fighter and the company he is attempting to grow. You add in the fact that Scott Coker has never reffered to him or his management team as “crazy Russians” or “idiots” and it seems like a no brainer to me… Apart from the Lesnar fight even the competition will be on par with the UFC. Werdum, Rogers, and Overeem would make a strong 3 fight stretch. And who really wouldn’t like to see Fedor take the failed steroid test and death of Affliction out of Barnett’s ass in a ring in Japan?

• I completely get the premise of the article. However, I would have liked to see the logic behind the Post-Fedor paydays. It seems somewhat arbitrary to simply multiply by 10 the Pre-Fedor payday. The only thing I can think is that a $5M payday was used as the baseline for Fedor’s payday (6 fights at $30M total). However, as previously stated, it would seem that these numbers were based on a myth. The other missed point is the fact that Fedor is not just some fighter. Although fairly obvious, he is after all arguably the best P4P fighter in the world and does deserve special consideration (and perhaps “special” paydays).

Furthermore, since when does high gross income automatically equate to profitability (“Zuffa Inc. has figured out how to become one of the most profitable promotions of any sport in the world”). I’m not saying they are or they aren’t but, as a private company, it is a fact that they keep their books just that… private. We don’t know how far in the red they were for all those early years. Yes, we can assume that they are doing (very) well right now but I (as well as 99.99% of the population) have no idea what their expenses are.

Make no mistake about what I’m saying. The way that Dana White and the Fertittas built their business from nothing (and you could argue from less than nothing given the anti-MMA climate at the time they purchased the company) is a great case study for any business school. To hear that their revenues have grown even during this recession while virtually every other major sport has seen declining revenues is nothing short of amazing. Taking all the emotion out, at the end of the day, this is a business, plain and simple.

I know there are a lot of Dana haters but every time I hear him speak, my respect and admiration grows for him. Do I agree with every word that comes out of his mouth or all of his actions? Absolutely not. However, it’s hard enough growing and running a business, let alone dealing with employees (fighters), customers (fans), government, competitors, etc. You’ll never make everybody happy and simply throwing money around rarely solves the problem. Where are all the other promotions that gave out obscene money to mediocre talent? Although I agree that the fighters deserve a raise (especially the guys making $3,000 per fight…WTF!), there also has to be controlled growth in order to maintain sustainability and (worldwide) growth. How can anybody argue with the majority of the decisions that Dana and Co. have made?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I see no problem with co-promotion,but maybe I have a problem understanding what exactly co-promotion is,or at least M-1 and UFC’s definiton of it.
    I see that M-1 has M-1 challenge,which I think ain’t so big over here,but could it be big elsewhere in the world?
    I’ve suggested a Team M-1 Global vs. Team UFC event.
    Fedor is in the main event.
    And man,Alex could even be in the prelims.
    Both sides Put up an agreed upon sum,and both sides share to profits,if any.
    M-1 Challenge has fighters from (take a break while I look it up) at least 9 different countries.
    What I can’t find right now is-Do the fights take place in different countries?
    Are there countries where M-1 is a bigger deal than the UFC?
    Countries that the UFC wants to break into where they could actually ride M-1 and Fedor’s coatails,to make it easier for their acceptance?
    I think that’s a better hypothectical subject than who might’ve earned what had Fedor been signed.

As usual,the UFC doesn’t need Fedor,nor does he need them.(to cement his legacy)
    It’s wierd because I’ll hug GSP’s nuts til one of us dies.
    He once stated,each time he fights he doesn’t fight as champ,but challenger, because during a title fight ,the belt is up for grabs.
    Now he states he’s not fighting to be champ anymore because he is champ.
    Now he fights for his Legacy.
    He wants to be known as the best .

But Fedor says,assuming the interpreter and subtitles are right,he doesn’t think about legacy,P4P,or even money.
    He fights cause it’s his job,he likes to fight,train,practise Sambo,and play chess with his kids.
    He likes to compete.
    And please don’t ask me for sources.
    I watch the same shows and read the same articles and have the same internet you do-

Aw man,there’s more I wanna add to this but for now ,any thoughts?

And Ozz,we will fight again,and this time the results will be different.
    Cheers man.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Kamakosmo says:
    August 1, 2009 at 5:40 pm
    Not for nothing, but who in the hell is Djangoplata?

I don’t know WHO Djangoplata is,
    but I know that it’s simply a gogoplata applied on you by this man –

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt[/url]

• Dr.Stoppage says:

My error.
    Copy and paste this :

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Well then,
    Let’s try it this way-

“Why anyone would refuse this contract is beyond me”- True- who exactly are you?

Fedor ain’t just anyone.

“While I, much like the rest of the MMA world, long to see Randy Couture vs. Fedor, and to a smaller extent Brock vs. Fedor,”
    HUH? Please elaborate,on behalf of the rest of the MMA world,and myself.

On top of this you create an article about your opinion of how much money fighter’s shoulda,woulda,coulda made had Fedor been signed?

Could you create a new one about what they would spend their should’ve could’ve would’ve money on and do it with a
    Robin Leach accent ?

Sorry John,and welcome aboard.

If Fedor isn’t signed,How much will B.J. and Ken-Flo make?
    But if Fedor was signed,how much would they could’ve made?

And,what do you think it would take to get the UFC to sign Fedor ?
    Or at least have Fedor fight a current,contracted,MMA event.co sponsered by the UFC ?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

ROTFFLMFAO @ “do it with a Robin Leach accent ?”

I believe this is going to open some fighter’s eyes though to the point that they start asking for money. I’m all for the fighters getting all they can. I’m just worried it would get out of hand like the NFL & MLB.