During a Friday conference call with the media, UFC President Dana White formally announced that former UFC light heavyweight champion has been signed to return to the fight promotion.
Ortiz was introduced by White on the conference call and answered questions from reporters. Asked at one point why he elected to return to the UFC in spite of all of the bad blood with White, Ortiz cited the fact that his fans overwhelmingly had voted via his Twitter account for him to return to the UFC.
Ortiz also said the level of competition in the UFC was also a factor for his decision to re-sign, going so far as to question the level of competition in Strikeforce and expressing his belief that Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Frank Shamrock would not be suitable challenges.
When asked as to when he thought he might return, Ortiz said he believes he could be ready to fight by November or December.
While no specific opponent for Ortiz’s first fight back was announced, White indicated that Mark Coleman is being discussed as a possible matchup for Ortiz.