Tito Ortiz returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship

During a Friday conference call with the media, UFC President Dana White formally announced that former UFC light heavyweight champion has been signed to return to the fight promotion.

Ortiz was introduced by White on the conference call and answered questions from reporters. Asked at one point why he elected to return to the UFC in spite of all of the bad blood with White, Ortiz cited the fact that his fans overwhelmingly had voted via his Twitter account for him to return to the UFC.

Ortiz also said the level of competition in the UFC was also a factor for his decision to re-sign, going so far as to question the level of competition in Strikeforce and expressing his belief that Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Frank Shamrock would not be suitable challenges.

When asked as to when he thought he might return, Ortiz said he believes he could be ready to fight by November or December.

While no specific opponent for Ortiz’s first fight back was announced, White indicated that Mark Coleman is being discussed as a possible matchup for Ortiz.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Thats a shitty fight. Ortiz should get a fairly decent first match, maybe Bonnar. After he destroys Bonnar then him fight Rashad for a rematch without that damned referee! IF he wins all his fights, he could be looking at a title shot Nov-Dec next year. Thats at least 4 fights though

Bonnar “Tune-up”
    Rashad
    Rampage
    ????? Maybe Lyoto if he’s not champion? Maybe Rua?

Stone me for saying this, I assure you I can handle it, but I would like to see Tito retire Liddell.

• edub says:

Hahahaha.

Im laughing but if i had to bet i would put money on Tito over Liddell in a 3rd match.

I alos dont see him fighting rampage tho. I think theyre still friends.

• edub says:

Hahahaha.

I alos dont see him fighting rampage tho. I think theyre still friends.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dude, am I the only one having ONE HELL OF A TIME trying to post a comment on here? I’ve been signed out involuntarily twice now

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Let alone everything I post comes up twice, or just disappears!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Let alone everything I post comes up twice, or just disappears!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Let alone everything I post comes up twice, or just disappears!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Let alone everything I post comes up twice, or just disappears!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Let alone everything I post comes up twice, or just disappears!

• roshambo says:

Ozz, at the rate Tito fights, it would take him 3 to 4 years to get through those fights if he even could. He would take Coleman but it gets dicey after that. Tito is a guy that faught only once 2002, once in 2003, twice in 2004, once in 2005, once in 2007 and once in 2008. He will likely fight only once in 2009. The only year he seemed to have a regular schedule was 2006. As for Tito retiring Liddell didn’t Shogun already do that? I think the last thing anyone needs to see is Liddell lying on the canvas again although we probably all will.

In the end the press conference seemed almost as pointless as Fedors on Wednesday. Nothing that major or epic.

• roshambo says:

my first post of the day is above but it seemed to work ok for me. It looks like they are updating/upgrading the site a bit. I noticed on the front page it shows how many comments there are on the articles.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I see that too, roshambo.

I respect Liddell, don’t get me wrong. Personally, I wouldn’t want to see him be a canvas cutter anymore either, but from what I hear he said himself he would fight Tito again if asked. Can’t verify that though.

I would have to agree that Tito needs to fight at least a few times a year. At his age, he needs to. Still young, but time isn’t on a fighter’s side.

• Davey D says:

Tito “Fuckin” Ortiz…this guy just needs to win. WIN. He is a top notch Entertainer, has great coaching skills as seen on TUF 3 and had a lot of great bout’s when people didn’t even care about the sport. No matter how you slice it, this guy belongs in the UFC. All he needs to do is win and/or put on a good show before, during and after his fight’s.

I actually like this purposed bout of Ortiz vs. Coleman. Great bout! How about Ortiz vs. Franklin, Hendo, Cro Cop, Wand 2, etc. I’d watch em’ all. Cheers!!!

• PlagueAngel says:

Ortiz is bottom of the barrel these days Ozz. I don’t see why you like him so much. No wins in 35 months and the guy talks shit. That is the worst kind of cocky/arrogant person in my book. What has Tito Ortiz proved in the last five years? Rashad Evans is a different kind of animal now. Tito has not evolved his game and it shows. I do think he could cause problems for Coleman/Bonnar, but the back surgery and lack of MMA evolution will keep him from a title shot.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Plague, welcome back. Hope work went well today.

I don’t see him at the bottom of the barrel. I’ve followed him as an AVID fan since his inception in the sport. He and Wanderlei are my two faves. Anyone that has followed his career knows just how much of a hinderence his back has been. Since he has gotten the clearence to train, he’s taking it slow, but SERIOUSLY. NO more pain, either. Win or not, he defended his belt 5 times, and was a reigning 3 1/2 year champion. When Couture beat him in his prime, it went to decision.

Thats just stuff we all know. Bottom line is Tito is one of the only guys other than Wand that actually CARES about his fans, talks to them, and actually gives a shit about what you have to say. He has my respect for that.

I think if he comes back, and his back is NO LONGER a hinderence, he can do damage. He went the distance with Lyoto, getting phased one time by that insane knee/liver shot. That was at the end of his “35 month losing streak” (2 losses and a controversial draw” too.

If he could take the current champion that far with a horrendous back problem, how would he do at 100%?

Talking shit- If you don’t believe in yourself, who will? Thats why he does it.

• cocoonofhorror says:

hmmm, i dont think i could possibly care less. sign Fedor, idiot.

Who’s the idiot?

• anferny says:

If you like Tito or not – I am certain you wouldnt disagree with him “needing” at least one, but better a few wins – diplaying good performances..
    To be honest, I almost feel like Coleman is a welcome-back-gift from Dana..
    Just to give him a chance to get used to the cage again..
    because come on, Coleman is really no threat in terms of knocking him out cold like many other might (L.M., R.E. etc)
    I was happy for Coleman when he won his last bout, even though I really like Bonnar – somehow eomotionally I am always on the side of the “old guy who still wants to prove he can do it”
    and somehow Tito is slippin into this role – he deserves a lot of cred, but that respect arises from (long) past performances – im MMA terms of course..
    so even though he is young – it is not only a comeback to the organisation, but in my mind he has to prove he can STILL do it
    I hope he does..

and yes.. if Randy faces Nog. – at least age and status-wise, why shouldnt Chuck vs Tito be an option.. at least in theory

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Tito would send Chuck to a desk job this time. I know damn good and well he learned something from the first two times.

• fanoftna33 says:

Tito would need to beat coleman decisivly, then 1 more big name to get in the title picture just because they need to see if hi is truly 100%(which I for one hope he is). Remember Machida couldnt finish a Tito that wasnt 100% or close to it, and almost got submitted. I cant wait to see hi back. By the way I acually saw Tito at the only live event I went to and he is a large dude for 205.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dude is massive for 205. But really a class act with his fans. He truly understands that the fans mean something, and he respects the Armed Forces.

Gotta give him props for that.

• fanoftna33 says:

For all the respect guys like randy and chuck get, tito will be there soon, he was one of the best of(at the time a new generation) fighters and he is still a very real force in the cage. This month has been so exciting and I dont see august slowing down at all.

• PlagueAngel says:

I’m headed to Airborne/Ranger school on Thurs, so I will be back on here for Christmas. I would like to see Ortiz against different opposition. I guess I’m a guy that believes that a second fight has to be for a title or for a shot at a title. A fight against Chuck would be pointless for Ortiz. He needs to look to the future and not the “glory days”.