Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort to take place at 195 pounds

rich-franklinAlthough UFC President Dana White had reported that a main event bout for UFC 103 between Rich Franklin and the newly re-signed Vitor Belfort was to take place at light-heavyweight during a press conference held earlier this afternoon, it now appears that the bout between the two will now take place at a catch-weight of 195 pounds.

The news comes directly from Franklin himself who posted the news of the bout’s catch-weight agreement via his personal Twitter account.

“Just found out I will be fighting Vitor at a catch-weight of 195 as per his request,” recently tweated the former UFC middleweight champion.

The bout with Belfort will mark Franklin’s second 195 pound fight in as many bouts. His last trip to the Octagon saw him on the winning end of a hard fought decision over Wanderlei Silva competing in the same weight class.

Belfort was recently signed by the UFC after the cancellation of “Affliction Trilogy” where the Brazilian knockout artist was scheduled to face off with Jorge Santiago. his last appearance saw him crush Matt Lindland with a series of punches in a middleweight contest held at “Affliction: Day of Reckoning in January of this year.

The bout between Franklin and Belfort was recently made in favor of a previous headlining bout between Rich and Dan Henderson that many fans had voiced displeasure over.

UFC 103 will be taking place on September 19 from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.

A full list of the bouts now expected for UFC 103 are listed below:

Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort

Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick

Junior dos Santos vs. Mirko Filipovic

Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg

Tyson Griffin vs. Hermes Franca

Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller

Sean Sherk vs. Gleison Tibau

Drew McFedries vs. Tomasz Drwal

Eliot Marshall vs. Jason Brilz

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Robert Emerson

• fanoftna33 says:

Now this fight is offically just for the fans.

• Rich S. says:

That’s an amazing card

• Jstew3785 says:

Hell Yeah. This card is stacked now. I will definitely be there for this one. This completely and totally makes so much more sense now. Fan, you are 100% right. This is completely for the fans, just like the Franklin/Wanderlai fight. I can’t wait for this one

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’m actually excited about 103 now. There’s at least 6 fights I’m truly interested in. I agree with the 195 change too. That’s 10 pounds for either fighter, and should be easier for both of them, let alone fair.

“Welcome back, Vitor…. Let’s have you fight Franklin.”

I’m glad to see they aren’t babying Vitor at his first fight back. This should be an EXCELLENT tool to judge where Vitor is against top quality opponents.

If he makes quick work of Franklin, I see gold in his NEAR future.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

On the flip side of that, with the UFC getting bigger in all aspects, commercially and roster wise, maybe this is them making another dabble at a possible 195 pound weight class?

Whoever would have thought we would have seen a catchweight bout as the main event, let alone twice? (UFC’s 99 & 103)

• dpk says:

I agree with the general feeling on this card, this is an deep card, with lots of good fights that could produce some serious fireworks.

• hindsightufuk says:

got to agree that is an entertaining looking card

• fanoftna33 says:

The ufc is acually following the lead of strikeforce by adding catchweight bouts basically just for the fans. It is a great thing for them to add.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Thoughts on a Cruiser weight (195) division???

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Anyone?

Pros, cons?

• Bullylover says:

if vitor wins and goes down to 185 i’d love to see him face wand,henderson,gouvia or marquardt before facing silva for the fight. those fights would be great and show just how great belfort really is at 85. if he can get by at least 2-3 of these guys then he is definately ready for gold. as for a cruiser-weight class i dont know. I guess it would be great if we wanted to see the best MW aginst the best Lhw or just some great fights. a few fights that sound good are marquardt/bonnar, evans/belfort, shogun/marquardt, shogun/belfort, leben/t.silva. any other matchups to think of?

• Bullylover says:

By the way ozz -sweet av

• I don’t really like the idea of a 195 division.

It reminds me too much of boxing and how they seemingly have a new weight class every 3.36 pounds.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That’s what I touched on earlier. I’m not a proponent of adding weight classes at all. I’m just thinking of ways they can get these guys to fight frequently, maybe 4 times a year. UFC is getting bigger….

I don’t see the point of adding rounds, although some fights it would have been great (Wanderlei, Liddell). The ONLY thing I can think of is a longer PPV with more fights on the main. We already have Fight Nights, which I thoroughly enjoy.

It just seems that the UFC is really starting to dable in this 195 thing. This is two main events now that are at a catch weight as of late.

• I think it’s more because they had two guys who should be fighting at 185 (Wandy and Vitor) with no one at the weight to match them up against so they pluck former 185er and consummate company man Franklin to shed ten pounds.

And to be honest, I think this is what’s best for Franklin. He’s never going to be a champ at 185 OR 205 as long as Silva and Machida are champs. And he’s already said this most recent contract will likely be his last. So put him in some dream matches and let him rake in the dough.

• Rich S. says:

True.

Obviously, Franklin will never beat Anderson. And he’ll probably never beat Machida. But, I still want to see the fight. Why keep the man in limbo and have him continually fight very tough opponents, like Wandy or Vitor, without moving him towards a title shot? I mean, I’m sure he’s fine with having these epic battles, but every fighter longs to be champion, a former champion does even more so I would think.. And maybe no one likes Rich’s chances against Machida, but why not give him a shot at redemption, and even better, a title.. He expressed recently that he doesn’t necessarily want to re-fight guys that beat him definitively. But, we all know that deep down inside, he would love to have a rematch with Machida, and he would love to be the LHW champ.

Rich is practically the best in both divisions, 185 and 205, aside from their respective champions.. So, if he’s going to fight at 205, stop giving him these 195 bouts (as much as I love them) and start getting him in the mix with some of these LHW’s.. Let’s see Franklin vs. Jardine, let’s see Franklin vs. Rashad, let’s see Franklin vs. Thiago Silva, and let Vitor, Wandy, and Hendo fight the best of the MW division..

That being said, I love this fight..

• Angry Mike says:

Great match up and lots of back story drama. Is Franklin still competitive? Will Belfort hold up mentally? Great fight for the fans.

• Bullylover says:

I don’t really know about Rich being the best in both divisions. I think it’s between him and marquardt on who’s second best in Mw. I also think forrest would bully him around the cage and rampage would sleep him.But we never know till they fight.