Report: Fedor turns down six-fight, $30 million deal with the UFC

Fedor 2Everyone has their price, right?

Well, apparently Fedor Emelianenko and his management M-1 Global are the exception to the rule.

According to a recent report from Charmichael Dave, who is a host on CBS Radio and good friend to UFC President Dana White, Fedor and his management have recently declined on what could very possibly be the most lucrative deal offered to a mixed martial artist in the history of the game.

Apparently Fedor had been offered a six-fight, $30 million contract with the UFC, along with a cut of the PPV revenue.

He was also guaranteed an immediate title shot with current UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar.

Further stipulations in the reported deal turned down by Emelianenko included his allowance to participate in Combat Sambo, the ability to don as much M-1 clothing as he deemed fit during his fights, and an agreement to place M-1 logos inside of the Octagon.

So what was the deal-breaker in the current offer? You guessed it, co-promotion.

M-1 Global stated yesterday during the Fedor Emelianenko press conference held in California that the company was only interested in fighting as part of a co-promotion. At this time it doesn’t appear that the UFC wants any part of that.

• Beau Fury says:

I wouldn’t either if I was in the UFC’s shoes. Why would they want to co-promote with a lesser company. IMO M-1 just wants to piggyback off the UFC’s success. I don’t care about Fedor or M-1 anymore. I really could care less if he comes to the UFC or not. I don’t know if Fedor or M-1 realizes it but MMA and particularly the UFC brand of MMA will go on with or without Fedor. As far as M-1 and Fartstein wanting to bring MMA to the world, they are a little late. I mean the only company with the resources and the glout to take MMA to the whole world is the UFC. And they are gonna do it with or without Fedor. Let’s face it… UFC in 5 years will be just like the NFL, NBA, and MLB, but on a global level of competition. I for one was against this but as the quality of shows the UFC puts on increases and the quality of shows other lesser organizations puts on decreases I have changed my mind and look forward to this. Plus if there is only one promotion then we won’t have anymore of this Fedor like crap!!!

• dpk says:

I saw another report that said the $30 million number was based on potential revenue if the did massive PPV numbers. I’d like to know how much is guaranteed, but it still looks like UFC did a ton of compromising, especially with the Sambo.

That being said, he is still insane to turn this down, co-promotional excuses, will start to sound a lot like ducking the top competition in the World. If he accepted this landmark deal he would also be doing a big favor to all other top fighters in the world. How many times has Dana White referred to Anderson Silva, GSP, or BJ as the top pound for pound fighters well ahead of Fedor, they could take his own words against him next time they sit down to negotiate their own contracts. This could be the start of massive pay increases for all the top line fighters. I already said it on one post, but I’ll say it again, if Fedor doesn’t sign with UFC, I’ve watch my last fight of his.

• KUMITE KING says:

Fedor has Nothing to prove to anyone, he can do what he wants.

• PlagueAngel says:

What is the big deal about M-1 global? No one gives a shit about M-1 global but M-1 global. I don’t care about Fedor anymore either. He can fight for much less in Strikeforce and have his co-promotion. The fact that the UFC went so far as to give him rights to wear the brand and have it displayed in ring and you add sombo+insane money and it came down to co-promotion. The UFC did everything they could without sacrificing their own company to get Fedor.

• Austin says:

DUMB.
    SOLUTION: FUCKING BUY M1 OUT A LA PRIDE.

• KUMITE KING says:

Everyone can say what they want, but no one has seen any contract offer from the UFC. So unless you were there you dont know what the offer was. Dont beleive everything you read on the internet.

• Hohlraum says:

You need to put “Apparently” in bold Cory.

• Snoop Dogg says:

This is nuts. This was going to finally be MMA fighters making some real money. The start of bigger and better pay days. I agree with DPK this would give leverage to all of the other great UFC fighters to getting better deals. This Fedor thing is non sense and a dumb decision by Fedor and his management. Let’s face their is going to be an inside the UFC TV show on HBO UFC has taking MMA ownership they are the NFL the MLB and so on and so on and so on.

Fedor is the greatest fighter in the world P4P is a myth Fedor is a reality. He would pound GSP, Silva, Machida and Brock anyone really and if someone beat him once he would beat them in the rematch. So what is he doing? Move up to the show your never going to make 30 million in 6 fights fighting anywhere else. This does not include his cuts of the paperview. Fedor is the best fighter ever in my mind and if anyone deserves this deal and the publicity it is Fedor.

• fanoftna33 says:

This could be what the ufc said they offered Fedor, we are just getting one side of the negotiations here. If this is true and Fedor does not sign by Friday he never will.

• KUMITE KING says:

Consider the source : According to a recent report from Charmichael Dave, who is a host on CBS Radio and good friend to UFC President Dana White.

Good friend of Dana White. lol

• cere says:

Screw M-1. UFC would be completely insane to co-promote. Look at how much good co-promo did for Affliction. Affliction puts in all the work, money and risk and M-1 benefits. When Affliction fold, M-1 happily walks away with their cut.

I am not great fan of many of the business practices of the UFC. I think the are unnecessarily unfair to the fighters and act too much like a bully. But, at the same time, they have built their company and promotion from the ground up. The UFC is the success it is because of the owners and managers. MMA is growing as it is because of the UFC. Now M-1 wants to take a piece of that? bullshit. Why would I hand over what I have built on my own?

If the UFC did co-promote, beside Fedot, what do they gain? Nothing. Nada. Squat. M-1 gains a ton. They get exposure, they get respect, they get legitimacy. None of which they have earned as a promoter. If they want it, go earn it. Don’t try to leech it off of the UFC on the back of Fedor’s name.

Fedor is a fool for allowing his manager to be his promoter. They are acting in the best interest of M-1 by using Fedor to try to take advantage of UFC. I am not trying to make the UFC sound like a victim here, but shit if you are giving away co-promo and the like to get Fedor, why don’t you buy me a house and car while you are at it. What? No upside to buying me a house? Just like they ain’t no upside to bringing in M-1.

M-1 demands for co-promo would be like a football player being offered everything he required and requested and more to be signed to an NFL team. But the contract is turned down because the player’s agent, who also runs a 2 team football league of his own, demanding that the NFL make his company a partner in NFL business, a portion of all television and sponsorship revenue for the team the player signs to and a house for his girlfriend. On top of the already offered, most lucrative contract in history for the player. It would be laughed out of the room.

• t-shreds says:

Tired… very very tired of this UFC / Fedor soap opera. Is fedor the best in the world? YES… does the UFC need him… NO!. There is a large difference between want and need… says grade 8 social studies. No one has all the facts as of right now… its all grey and unnecessary. Personally i think M-1 is very greedy and exploiting their 1 trick pony to the max

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Yeah… I really think M-1 is scared that Lesnar will smash Fedor and then he wont be worth the text I am typing now

• Beau Fury says:

Cere, I couldn’t agree more with you. M-1 has put on crap shows throughout Europe and are only around because all they want to do is Co-promote. The reason they want to copromote is cause they want the rewards but aren’t willing to take the risks to gain those rewards. Fan, I agree with you that this may not be the true deal but still if it is then I’m done. And Kumite, the source being a friend of Dana White’s makes it all the more legit. This isn’t some blogger or some gossip writer this is a host for CBS radio. Last time I checked CBS was a credible source. I think really you are either a Fedor fan or a Dana or UFC hater. Fedor is a tool and M-1 are leeches.

• Angry Mike says:

Assuming the story is accurate, it tends to prove what I’ve said all along. Fedor and the UFC aren’t the problem. The problem is Finkelchtein. His demand for co-promotion benefits him, not Fedor. He turned down UFC out of his own self interest, and not because of Fedor’s interests.

• KUMITE KING says:

The point is… Fedor is a GROWN MAN and has the right to do whatever he wants when HE wants to, period.

• manny says:

Fedor can do whatever he wants. He’s not ducking brock or any other HW fighter in the ufc. M-1 could care less about $ and they said it all along. They did go very far as to provide his with a bunch of stuff but like they said since day 1, co-promote is the #1 in their list and last in the ufc’s. Fedor will go to Japan and fight or maybe strikeforce

• edub says:

Same story, different day.

• fanoftna33 says:

Good point KING he can do as he pleases but he does what hi manager wants hin to do, so unless he leaves M-1 we will never see him.

• fanoftna33 says:

After friday I dont care about this, but until then I hold a very small tiny bit of hope that they can agree on a contract.

• KUMITE KING says:

My money is on Fedor going to Strikforce and will fight on CBS in the next 4-6 weeks.

• I absolutely believe we will never see Fedor inside the Octagon.

If we do, it’ll be years down the road after his relevancy will be suspect and a win over him won’t mean much.

And KUMITE, you’re right. He is a grown man. I said as much about Mousasi when he discussed wanting to box.

He can do whatever he wants but we can bitch and moan on blogs and messages boards because as a fan, it sucks for us.

• edub says:

CBS in 4-6 weeks huh…

Well I guess we can dream.

Oh and who would he be fighting Brett Rogers? Paul Buentello? Lee Murray??

• KUMITE KING says:

He will fight Brett Rogers or …….wait for it…………Josh Barnett

• fanoftna33 says:

The first match for Fedor would have to be overeem, withe rogers or werdum as his first title defense.

• Jstew3785 says:

If this is true, then I am done with this whole situation. Dana White and the UFC bent over backwards for these guys and they still said no. Unless something changes Friday, I truly believe we’ll never see Fedor inside the octagon. This sucks

• Beau Fury says:

I doubt he goes to Strikforce… While I’m sure they would love to get him I think they know they cannot afford to one pay him and two afford to promote him to the world to do well on PPV’s. Lets face it if you’re not a die hard fan(which most of America isn’t) then you don’t know who Fedor is by name alone. This is the main reason SF won’t go after him. They cannot afford to market him. SF is only concerned with the US as of right now. I don’t even think they are worried with trying to compete with UFC in the US let alone the world market. And lets face it… Fedor isn’t a house hold name such as Brock Lesnar, GSP, or Rich Franklin. Those guys, with the exception of Lesnar, all made themselves into house hold names by fighting on the biggest stage. Until Fefor fights in the UFC he will not be known by the American public and the majority of the world. Fedor isn’t worried about money, he has it. He should be worried about establishing his legacy as the all time greatest fighter in the sport. I know many will say he already has but if there is still people doubting it then he hasn’t cemented his legacy yet.

• Beau Fury says:

I agree with Jstew!!!

• cere says:

manny: of course they care about the money. That’s all the co-promotion demand is about. Money.

By co-promoting a UFC event, they gain unbelievable advantages, as I have said before. They get instant credibility where they have none, they gain exposure and respect. But these are intangibles. Do the equate to money? of course. All of those thing are worth money in the world of promotion. And for the tangibles? being a co-promoter would also give them money and influence with regard to PPV, residuals, royalties, TV rights, after market media (DVD), etc.

This all about money. Simply that they want more than one big pay day for Fedor. They want an ongoing retirement fund for everyone at M-1.

Giving up promotional rights to UFC event means giving up control (and money). basically giving up a piece of the business they build. So for the UFC, it is about money, and control and pride. For M-1, it is all about money.

• cere says:

Jstew3785: dead on

• “He will fight Brett Rogers or …….wait for it…………Josh Barnett”

I don’t think Barnett can apply for a CA license for a year after his positive test.

• TheHouse says:

Austin hit it on the head. Potential cost to give Fedor 30 mil plus allow him and his title (oh yea newbies, I believe Fedor would beat brock) to go off to Russialand and fight once a year is good enough reason to make a play for M-1 Global. The only bargaining chip they have is fully grown Fedor (not to be confused with Baby Fedor) and I wonder what their price would be to sell out.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, Here’s a CRAZY conspiracy theory.

What if Dana is secretly paying Fedor to go promotion to promotion to destroy it from the inside? Pride, Affliction ?????

LOL, Crazy, I know. Cut me some slack, it’as a slow day at work today.

• KUMITE KING says:

The Best Conspiracy is that Dana White had Josh Barnetts drug test fixed to blow affliction out of the water. KABOOM!!!!

• redness says:

You want to know whats funny. When he loses and someone will beat him sooner or later its gonna be a lesser talented and less marketable fighter example Brett Rogers, for a smaller company with not as much competion. Fedor’s leverage will be shot and if lets say it happens in the next year or two he will never recoup the money he could have made with the UFC. Kind of like what Seth did to Kimbo. I know fedor has a lot more creditablity then that but just an example. The UFC did everything right throghout this whole saga in my option. It will bite him sooner or later. Who is M1 Gobal anyway.

• KUMITE KING says:

Just in: Strikeforce getting closer to signing Fedor with the help of CBS!!!
    Just Like I thought! :)

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That ones old and requires no thought though. This one takes time and Rambo-like planning.

Mine is more interesting.

Kidding, LOL

• ozz_the_powerful says:

“Who is M1 Gobal anyway.”

No shit. Another T-shirt company?

• fanoftna33 says:

I mentioned it before but Fedor is co owner of M 1 so really people are putting a lot of blame on his manager but I belive the Vadim may be just the mouthpiece here , like the fall guy so Fedor stays clean in the fans eyes(read money machines).

• cere says:

UFC needs to just walk away. As much as it would benefit them to sign Fedor, giving away co-promotional rights to M-1 is just too much. Even if they did agree, given how many other concessions that appear to have already made, as soon as they agreed to co-promote, M-1 come back with their stadium demand. Then they would demand to be brought in as co-owners for the UFC business.

Enough is enough. I would love to see Fedor fight Brock and more in the UFC. But is time to say ‘we tried’ and get on with business.

• Beau Fury says:

Once again CERE I agree completely… I think Fan is right about Fedor using Vadim as a fall guy so he and M1 can get what they want and Fedor doesn’t lose fans because he is a greedy little Russian!!! lol Plus M1 in 2-3 years will be outta the promoting business anyway. I say walk away UFC, you tried and Fedor wouldn’t meet you in the middle, or even 1/4 of the way… Fedor 1, MMA fans 0
    Thanks Fedor and M1 for allowing greed to get in the way of the ones who really matter to MMA, the fans!!!

• cocoonofhorror says:

Finkelstien is a bitch.

• Beau Fury says:

I think I read that Fedor was a co-owner on Yahoo.com by Kevin Iole… Not for sure but I think it might have been in his Mailbag article.

• Beau Fury says:

Anyone Associated with M1 is a bitch!!! No offence to Fedor in the ring but outside he’s a greedy bitch

• Beau Fury says:

When Fedor falls he will fall hard, prolly harder than Kimbo because he doesn’t have as much draw as Kimbo did and makes his money soley from his mystic…

• fanoftna33 says:

BeauFury that is where I read it but Iole is a ass for callin Fedor fans clapping seals. I cannot even compair this to much but the closest is the Brett Farve saga, I love Brett but he is almost as bad as Fedor. Thats the best I got on this situation.

• fanoftna33 says:

Reading the M 1 site about the press conference you get the feeling that the negiotiations are not through. I Hope for good news Friday and the way it has been going we may get it, but I feel our lucky streak my now be over.

• KUMITE KING says:

Fedor owns 20% of M1, from all reports.

• Beau Fury says:

I agree with you Fan about Iole and refering to Fedor fans as clapping seals… He could have written that article with a little more respect for the fans. 20% is 1/5 of the company… Thats a lot if the company is a public traded company. He could prolly be on the board of directors with that much stake in the company… no wonder he wants M1 to copromote his shows… It’s lining his pockets even more… This further proves that he IS the problem and not the UFC. He is either really greedy or very patriotic for russia.

• For the life of me, I can’t seem to find this info anywhere online…

What time does UFC’s press conference start tomorrow?

• Angry Pirate says:

Co-promotion bbla bla. M1 might as well give up on that I mwan they got everything else they wanted and then some. He would be allowed to wear all the m1 gear he wants to the cage and M-1 logos in the cage. There is some exposure for ya. He also gets to do his sambo tourneys 30mil for 6 fights?!? And money off the ppv sales?? Dana prolly even offered him the shirt off his back if this offer is true. That’s so greedy of them to say no and ask for more. I’m sure dana dropped some F’ bombs when they said no

• roshambo says:

Like some have said, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. You only have to go back a week to remember that Kimo died, god rest his soul. Oh wait, he is alive and well. That being said, if this is even part true, it would seem Fedor has turned down a contract of epic proportions. If it isn’t about the money, then why is he fighting? If he is fighting not for money but to face the toughest challenges and the best fighters in the world, then the UFC is the place. So unless he is tired or bored with fighting and wants to retire, it would seem the UFC is where he should be. While he can do what he wants, if he truly wants to be labeled as the best he needs to sign with the UFC. Until he does, I will just think that he may have been a great fighter back in the day but that he is now past his prime and knows it. Being scared of the competition he would face seems to be the only logical reason to not sign with the UFC. I look forward to Friday coming and going so that one way or the other this story will be over. I am tired of this soap opera. The UFC does not need Fedor. They have enough top fighters and compelling stories to keep us entertained without him.

Here you go guys. Like I’ve been saying– Strikeforce: Patchwork Quilt

Despite subsequent reports stating that Josh Thomson (16-2) wouldn’t be pulled from the card, a source close to the negotiations today says he hasn’t been medically cleared for the fight, and Melendez (15-2) will instead meet Mitsuhiro Ishida (18-5-1).

What’s next?

I know!! Carano misses weight again!! *High fives self!!*

• s13 says:

For the longest time, given the history of UFC and fighter treatment, i thought that the UFC was being unfair and too constrictive in regards to Fedor coming to the UFC. This is proof that the opposite is true. I’ll take Aleksander’s word for it when he says the problem is Vadimwit Fuckustien as being the reason Fedor isn’t in the UFC. Bring on Aleksander to the UFC please for at least some kind of solice! Fedor is awsome, no one can question that, but what I do question is his desire to face undisputedly the top competition in the world since the only thing stopping this is co-promotion. Vadimwit talks about ‘i haven’t started promoting 2 years ago, i’ve built mma on a world scale something something blah blah bs’ as if M-1 is on the same level as the ufc…total crock of rotten russian potatos if you ask me. What they (Vadimwit and Fedor) are doing is called ‘pricing themselves out’. For those that don’t know, this was a popular tactic in boxing. You have a top rated fighter in talks with fighting another fighter, and that ‘top fighter’ won’t fight because their demands are way too high. Look at Leila Ali vs Ann Wolf. That fight never happened because Leila priced herself out. Ann’s promotion offered the fight to Leila, but she declined stating she demands 2 million for the fight when she’s never made anywhere near that before (and that’s the only fight she demanded that much from because she knew she would get KO’d easily). Now we have Fedor doing the same thing by way of leadership from Vadimwit Fuckustien. They know that if Fedor loses, his stock goes to the bottom of the barrel and M-1 will be left out in the cold to die a hopefully quick death (and hopefully out of that death the amazing Karl Amossou will come to the UFC :) ). Do they actually realise that there are only a few (can count them on one hand) quality heavyweights out there that will keep him legitimate? And even more so, do they realise that once Fedor cleans them out, that the ONLY option he’ll have is the UFC…and I can guarantee they won’t get nearly the offer that has been presented to them.

“Vadimwit Fuckustien”

“total crock of rotten russian potatos if you ask me”

S13 (Silvia), I think you and I can be friends. I thought I was harsh…….

• roshambo says:

Ozz, I wouldn’t be surprised if both Carano and Cyborg missed weight. Hopefully the event isn’t planned around their special time of the month. You could end up having the title for their match scrapped the day before. If one fighter doesn’t make weight, typically their opponent gets 20% of their purse. If both don’t make weight do they both lose 20% and the fans get free beer for the night or a partial ticket refund? Props to strikeforce so far though for keeping 4 belts on the line with all that has changed so far.

• roshambo says:

s13, if Fedor goes and fights a couple other meaningless fights to pad his already over rated record, I hope that if he then comes back to the UFC Dana White tells him well you know, there is an upcoming season of the Ultimate Figher. Maybe that could work out for you. If this doesn’t get settled soon, I don’t think the UFC should remotely go out of it’s way to get Fedor ever again. If Fedor is serious about fighting, he is stupid to not sign with the UFC. Heck he should be happy it’s a 6 fight deal since then if he does lose his first fight he has job security. If he loses a fight somewhere else in the next year he is up the creek without a paddle.

• edub says:

Sherdog reported M1 said it was a bs report.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I trust NOTHING that comes out of M-1’s mouth. It’s all publicity until tomorrow. Honestly, how many people knew who M1 was before all this ruccus started?

Roshambo, I’ll take the free beer over the partial ticket refund, “Make that TWO coors lights, please”

• 40oz says:

They want to “co-promote,” with what? Just one guy. I’d just give them a free pass on advertising to a point and that’s it.
    Go have fun with all those big paying promotions out there…

• fanoftna33 says:

Roshambo the ladies are fighting at a slightly heavier weight of 145, when I belive they are used to fighting at(at least attempting to fight at ) 140. So 145 should not be a problem assuming Cyborg hasnt put on to much more muscle mass..

• 40oz says:

roshambo, LMAO ultimate fighter…ah man that would great if Dana’r did that.

• s13 says:

Mark my words, the guy to beat Fedor outside of the UFC will be the much underrated Alistair Overeem should his injuries ever heal. Why do I say that? Look at the path of destruction he’s made since he went HW. He also was a training partner of Fedor’s for quite some time, his stamina is second to none at the moment, his power is super crushing and accuracy is awsome. His ground game has also improved leaps and bounds. I know you guys won’t agree, but just wait and see. If he doesn’t beat Fedor, he’s going to make a huge splash with being the person to come closest to doing it. And yes, all it takes is for Fedor to lose ONE fight outside of the UFC and then he can worry about building up the M-1 brand which he has partial ownership of, with c rated fighters (with the exception of Karl Amossou). I suggest you guys check out Karl’s fights and highlights on youtube or mma-core.com. The guy is the rebirth of Wanderlei…no joke.

• s13 says:

Oh yeah I almost forgot Cyborg > Gina.

• fanoftna33 says:

Overeem trained with the same trainer that Holyfield used to put that much muscle mass on, I think that is why he likes to fight oversees.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

So Dana doesn’t have to build a stadium in Russia this time?

Personally,I think co-promotion would be great to try.
    Why not have a
    Team UFC vs. Team M-1 Global series featuring Fedor in every one?
    There would only be 2 per year,which is enough time to build potential rivalries in each weight class.
    Both organizations are working towards exposing MMA worldwide,and both organizations could benefit from more exposure.
    Obviously there’e alot of details I have no idea about,
    but the MMA suits could certainly give it a trial run.
    I wanna see Fedor fight anybody.
    But it’d also be cool to see some of the up and coming (not necessarily the champs) UFC fighters fight against some M-1 Global talent.
    Why the F not?

• s13 says:

Alistair is not juicing if that is what you’re insinuating. He gained that muscle over a 3 year period which isn’t hard. He gradually gained and trained hard for it. He didn’t vanish them come back 6 months later as a hulk.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I mena come on,right now the only way Fedor will fight UFC opponents is thru a co-promotion.
    Will a co-promotion sink the UFC?

Remember the AFL vs. The NFL?

If Brock Lesnar loses to Fedor,will YOU stop watching the UFC?

Do it Dana…just do it!

• 40oz says:

Why go 50/50 with a anyone who can probably only pull 10-15% of there weight.
    Down the road I could see “Co-‘s” but UFC at the moment ain’t big outside our long distance call zones. I said before, best way for UFC to be the the first american sports promotion to be world wide is Fedor. Zuffa could spend 100 mil for him and they’d make money at the end of his contract (basically when he loses belt.) By then everyone world wide would know UFC like how everyone in the world knows Michael Jordan.

• jb391981 says:

Fedor is holding the mma world hostage right we are all sitting around waiting to hear what his next move is. we are giving him and M-1 the power to bargian with the ufc. lets move on there is a nice card this weekend in philly. i could care less what fedor does there is plenty of exciting fighters out there. his management is a joke. period the end

• anferny says:

Even though I wouldn’t be too quick to judge based on the figures mentioned, I would like to agree with those of you who point out that fedor is on the peek of his value right now..
    and would be smart to benefit from the current situation – and seal the deal with the UFC asap.

But why is he in such a strong position anyway?

Lets take a look at the “market value” of athletes.
    In ususal cases the most specatcular contracts arise from situation in which you have to buy out some extremly successfu, spectacular guy after he has just peeked by e.g. winnig some type of championship.
    Sure, promising youngsters also make all sorts of news with their often impressing contracts, but the bigges ammounts are spent on guys who have (just) proven themselves through some sort of great achievment.

Well what has Fedor actually achieved – RIGHT NOW?

not that much..
    I think its all about the timing – the current overall situation..

He has an impressing record and has taken some big names, like e.g. A.Nog.
    – this being a fact for a while now.

His two recent fights were impressive wins, but still over guys who were not regarded “unbeatable” – so no “incredible thing” pushing his value over the top.

Has he just won some greatly unique title or championship?
    Well, defended the WAMMA Heavyweight Championship – debatable, if that alone would be enough..
    (eg. would the UFC be totally after eg. Tim S. if he had won it?)
    so again, that alone is not an outstanding achievment pushing his value..

What i therefore conclude: there is still a big portion of “expectation, promise, hype” or what ever you want to call it, responsible for the fedor-phenomenon.
    Him fighting Brock in the UFC ist just the “hot” thing ppl want to see.
    Therefore I would say his market value, right now, is maxed out due to yes, a buildup of numerous achievments, skill etc etc. but mostly due to this unique situation with alle the hype/tension around the question “will he, or will ne not join the ufc”

And yes, just as many have pointed out:

-as soon as he would loose just once, to a lucky punch from e.g. Seth Petruzelli all of that hot edge is down the drain.

-as soon as he signs with some other organisaion – the momentum is lost and Dana and co. will not be ready to put themselves out there any more like they are doing now.

From a point of view with some economic angle he has a great u.s.p – unique selling point – right now –
    If he doesnt act accordingly and lets this situation pass by, he might be a great fighter, but is not too much of a businessman.

…the topic is even “hot” enough to keep me up writing at 5 a.m.
    – but not for much longer..
    acutally the momentum almost gone, so good night and greetings from continental Europe

• Batman says:

I think Dana should just co-promote with M-1 global because no one gives two shits about it now and i don’t think anyone ever will.

• TerribleT says:

If this is correct then he’ll never sign on w/ the UFC at least not as long as Finkelstein is his manager anyway.I don’t know why Fedor is so damn loyal to this guy but he is.It reminds me of a WWE skit where the masked monster giant wrestler doesn’t ever say a word and his loudmouth manager does all the talkin’.

• kenthehale says:

Fedor can’t hang with Brock. PERIOD. In the back of his mind, he knows that. It looks like we will get to see Brock pound Shane Carwin into oblivion before the Fedor fight ever happens. Just a thought… The longer Fedor waits to fight Brock, the worse the ass whippin is gonna be. Time will prove me correct.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Man it troubles me to keep bringing this up,
    but once again.
    When you say you “COULD CARE LESS”,
    I take that to mean you “COULD actually care less.”
    Which states that “THERE ARE THINGS THAT YOU COULD ACTUALLY CARE LESS ABOUT.”
    WTF?
    Now,if you really mean you ,”COULDN’T CARE LESS”
    well that is more of a statement ,because it says that there is nothing
    that you would make an effort to care less about.

If you could care less about this post,then “YOU’RE WELCOME”
    And if you COULDN’T care less about this post,then “That’s exactly what I’m trying to explain,so thanks!”.
    Please remember, if you could care less,then WGAF (Who Gives A Fuck)
    But if you COULDN”T care less,well, now that’s making a point!.

• fanoftna33 says:

being a little nit picky there dr stoppage?

• BigDave says:

Ok, someone needs to tell this russian dummy that the moment he looses a fight in any organization his stock drops way down. There will be no more talk about him being the greatest fighter of all time and there will no longer be that huge draw to see him on ppv. He needs to realize this before its to late. A 6 fight deal for 30million and a immediate title shot right out of the gate, that is the only time he will be able to get that kind of offer. I’m certainly not on the Fedor bandwagon and never have been and I think he would get destroyed by lesnar or valasquez or carwin. So Fedor take the money and run because its your last chance to make that kind of coin.

To fanoftna33,
    I could care le…no wait I couldn’t care less about your post.

Man,I showed you.

Stoppage,

You have come up with THE most asinine ideas I’ve heard on this post. You’re really trying to convince all of us that the UFC SHOULD co-promote with that bottom feeding M1? WHY!!?? Why should they have to? The UFC has built their empire by themselves, and I promise you, an aging emporer isn’t enough to make them want to co-fucking-promote with anyone.

Team UFC vs Team Russia? Both organizations could benefit from the exposure? Have you been hiding under a rock the last 3 years? Last I checked the UFC was a household name, let alone Team UFC vs Team M1 being the gayest idea I’ve ever heard of.

Go back to correcting english papers.

*High Fives Self*

• cere says:

ozz is right about stoppage. Really, really poorly thought out idea there stoppage. Comparing it to NFL/AFL? No even close. M1 is demanding co-promotion on what will very likely be the biggest events in MMA history. Compared to essentially exhibition football games that no one really cares about.

Let’s see: NFL/AFL, NFL gives up nothing of value. UFC/M1: UFC gives up a portion, in perpetuity, of all proceeds, royalties, residuals and possibly sponsorships on what will be the largest events in MMA history. Yeah, those sound close.

Co-promotion on it’s own offers the UFC no upside at all. None. Absolutely no benefit. So you may think it is a great idea, but that really just shows a lack of critical thinking on your part. M1 is the only party that gains from co-promotion. They may as well go back to the demand for a stadium. At least the UFC could use it if they ever had an event in Russia and therefore see some benefit.

Asking for co-promotion is a stupid as if they asked for a 10% stake in the UFC instead. Ain’t worth it.

• shotokai_ says:

Read in several places that these figures are waaaay inflated. M-1 Global’s CEO has indicated that the UFC offered Fedor a lot less than “half” of a $30 million deal by the UFC. Implying he was offered considerably less than $2.5 mill a fight. Which, to be fair, could still be $1.5 million a fight and for the UFC that would be unheard of.

Personally, I find the whole episode, and the episodes over the last few years, intensely f*cking frustrating. Fedor has no need to fight in other promotions if he is fighting in the UFC. From Fedors personal perspective, this has no tangible benefit. Other than that there a are a few more, and I mean a few, world class heavyweights he could have the chance to face. But the way Fedors career has been going up until recently, we have no reason to believe that he will even face the best competition should he compete outside of the UFC.

It seems obvious to me that Finkelchtein wants, even needs, the co-promotion a lot more than Fedor does. Why? Because his role in M-1 and managing Fedor is a massive conflict of interest, and with Finkelchtein owning part of M-1 he seems adamant that his boy Fedor is going to fight under the banner that he paid good money for. To an extent I can understand this. If I paid £1 million (or whatever amount) for a piece of a company, and I also happened to manage my buddy, who also happened to be arguably the best fighter on the planet… I’m pretty sure I would want him helping out my company I paid the money for.

The answer? If Fedor really wants to fight the top fighters in the world, he must depart company with Finkelchtein. At least while M-1 Global are still in business, anyway. Alternatively, the UFC might want to consider buying out M-1 as they could probably afford it. But outside of the possibility of signing Fedor there isn’t much benefit in doing so. The only outcome left would be for the UFC to do nothing – as they will never, ever co-promote – and give up on signing Fedor until M-1 have spent all their cash or Finkelchtein and Fedor fall out. Neither of which look likely in the near future.

Like I said, I find it intensely f*cking frustrating that the best fighter in the sport of MMA can never prove that he is so because he isn’t allowed to fight in the only organization where reputations really mean something. In 4 years time when Fedor has retired people are likely to discuss at length if he really was the greatest MMA fighter ever. But if he hasn’t fought in the UFC can we ever know for sure? Probably not even though he probably could be.

• PlagueAngel says:

M-1 co-promotes with other companies and takes their cut. Then when the company goes under, it moves along again looking for more blood. The UFC realises this and why should they co-promote with a bloodsucker company? I think it has been three or four other companies that has gone under after co=promotion with M-1 global. Other fight organizations only co-promote to get Fedor to fight. If M-1 global wants to advertise, then they can get their logo inside the octogon and wear their shirts. The UFC has came along way on their own and should not sacrifice their legacy as a company to get another fighter to fight. With all the young talent and the awakening of the Northern horror(Lesnar) as champion, the UFC does not need Fedor.

• shotokai_ says:

Amen, brother.

• fanoftna33 says:

The UFC does need some more legitimate heavyweight stars, and none are bigger than Fedor. The division has a champ with 5 fights, the two best competers (Carwin and Cain) have each only beat 1 high level fighter, and the rest of the division elite dont stach up well with Lessner. He koed Couture Mir and tore up Herring. Minaturo unless he looks great against Randy wont be able to handle him. Who does that leave, nobody. They need to bring in new talent soon, top level talent. Do they have to have Fedor, no, but they need guys close to his level soon..

• Angry Pirate says:

If the ufc did give in and co-promote it should say ok we will co-promote but on the fights fedor is in AND make M-1 pony up and pay half of every fighters salary for that card bonuses included.

• shotokai_ says:

I agree with you wholeheartedly fanoftna, with regards to the UFC’s heavyweight divsion being their weakest, however this level of talent you are talking about outside of the UFC doesn’t really exist. Disregarding Fedor, there is:

Barnett – who can’t fight in the US for a while and possibly never again.

Arlovski – who’s already fought in the UFC and, coming off two consecutive losses, it would be very difficult to market a ‘big return’ for him.

Rogers – only JUST arguably a top 10 HW anyway, he definitely doesn’t have the experience yet for the UFC. You criticised Cain and Carwin for having only beaten one top level fighter; Rogers has to be in the same boat. He must be captain of the boat.

Overeem – questionable record against the big names, and although he has done well as of recently, do you really think he is the big star the UFC could bring in, market and present a serious challenge to Lesnar? Unfortunately, I don’t.

Monson, Werdum, Sylvia – been there, done that, bored everyone.

Although I agree with your point in principle, it really is a difficult situation for the UFC to address. Feasibly I think we could see Alistair Overeem, Brett Rogers (after one more win) and possibly Big Foot Silva (if he gets his career back on track) in the UFC in the near future. While those three are exciting prospects, I don’t really see them being a serious threat to Brock Lesnar. All three could catch him on the feet, but then again more likely he could take them all down and pound on them.
    I think a much bigger threat to him right now are Carwin, Cain and Nog. I’d even say that Couture and Mir have better chances in rematches than anyone else the UFC could bring in right now – with the obvious exception of Fedor.
    So although it is easy to bash their division, it has to be a comparative analysis, and their alternatives right now actually make said division look pretty good in my opinion.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

And who else is in that “Top Level Talent” pool?

I’m not calling you out, I just want to make a point

Bret Rogers
    Alistair Overeem
    Fabricio Werdum
    Jeff Monson
    Antonio Silva
    Mo Lawal
    Bobby Lashley

That list is a joke and we all know it. Werdum, possibly Monson or Silva as far as being Fedor “competition”, the rest no chance other than the old puncher’s chance. Talk about a tin can alley shooting gallery…give me a break. Rogers, Lashley, and Lawal would be nothing more than Fedor Fodder at their current experience level and Overeem is the biggest joke in fighting today.

With the exception of Overeem, none of those guys are on any of the top 10 lists!

New comers to the sport (Lashley, Mo Lawal), UFC castouts (Fabricio Werdum, Jeff Monson), drug users that cannot get licensed in the USA (Antonio Silva)???

• Comparing the UFC/M-1 negotiations to the NFL/AFL merger is ridiculous.

The AFL was starting to make some major headway in the national football scene when the merger was agreed upon and although the AFL was still looked at as second-rate, it was still considered as strong, viable competition.

Imagine I designed a car that was amazing. Great style, excellent mechanics, amazing gas mileage. Everyone wanted this car. So GM or Ford comes up to me and says, “Hey, we’ll buy your design off your for $100 million.”

I say, “Sure I’ll take that, maybe even a little less. But I also want this car known as a ‘Ford/Sergio Hernandez Jackalope 500’ and I want a cut of every model sold.”

Of course they’re going to say no. Despite how fucked they are right now, GM and Ford are brand names and have spent years building up the name. They’re not going to let someone with little to no exposure in the game slap their name on what would be their biggest venture ever only to skidaddle afterwards and use all that fame as leverage to become a competitor.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Alright, shitty place to bring this up, but I’m sick of being sick of Fedor.

Go here and read, as this will answer any questions as far as a planned comeback (which we’ll know today anyway) as well as how the training is going.

Sergio

That’s one of the bast anologies to the whole thing I’ve seen. Go to Junkie and blast Nick Havok with that one. The guy just WON’T listen. Those of you that troll other places, you know who I’m talking about. Sergio, I might have to post that one over there (giving you credit, of course) to try to rile him up a bit.

• fanoftna33 says:

There is high level talent out there but like I said they need Fedor or some talent as close as they can get. The way they are bringing Carwin and Cain up is great and I am sure they will make at least tw or three big names out of this season of TUF. The way they went after CroCop was great for the division also. there is also a undefeated Gracie Roger at 2-0) who would have double the fights as Brock when he debuted, and he is a heavyweight, that is a real top prospect to get.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

If they should “go after” anyone right now, and by that I mean pick up the phone and call, it should be Arlovski.

Say what you want, but he could easily put the past behind him. Some guys slay him for getting KO’d twice, but you never hear anything negative about Liddell getting flattened.

I personally can’t stand Liddell, but I respect him though, so no need to talk shit. Arlovski is a free agent, has name recognition, and need top talent to go against to really bring him back out.

Fan, you make a good point in your last post, too.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think most of the guys here are with you on Arlovski OZZ, I would really like to see him focus on MMA and come back to the ufc.

• ozz, you’re more than welcome. Most of Junkie’s site is blocked on my work computer.

Damn you, firewall!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Thanks for letting me borrow that. You said it perfectly

• fanoftna33 says:

I ahte commenting there because it always comes down to personel attacks when somebody disagrees.

• fanoftna33 says:

or mispells the word hate!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I know. I visit only when necessary!

Ozz,
    I remember when the UFC first started ,alot of people thought it was an assinine idea .
    Try thinking outside the box for a moment.
    A company as big as the UFC could certainly find a way to branch out and attempt to co-promote,even for one event.
    Even if they just used the Fight Night Allstars.

Of course they don’t NEED to,but right now that appears to be the only way to get Fedor.

Wouldn’t it be cool if they wanted to?

Now get back upstairs and help Grandma.
    She fell in the kitchen and can’t get up.

• shotokai_ says:

Ozz were you responding to my point or to fanoftna’s? If it was to me you must have misread my point because what you said essentially agreed with what I put. Point being; UFC’s HW div isn’t super strong but then the HW div the world over isn’t super strong, either, so I’m confused as to who they’re supposed to bring in re. my above comment.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wait. I’m fighting battles on two fronts here.

Shotokai- My comment at 10:21 was directed at Fanoftna. It wasn’t a bad comment, just a counter point. Yours wasn’t visible when I posted mine. When it was, mine was up and it was already too late. Great post though.

Stoppage- I drink my coffe in the morning and am there for capable of making coherent thoughts and sentences. I also don’t feel the need to pick on peoples spelling and grammar to make myself feel cool and important. You saying they should bend over and take it w/o lube for one fighter is INSANE, to say the least. They offered the world, and the guy (or his manager) spit on it. I understand your world revolves around Fedor, but not for the rest of us.

Look on the bright side though, you can play EA MMA as Fedor and keep smashing cans to your heart’s desire!

Mr. 110%, maybe Fedor should have signed and gave his 110%

For additional reference please see Sergio’s comment @ 10:41 am

• cere says:

Dr.Stoppage:
    Seriously? You know to M-1, co-promotion means giving up half of all proceeds? What does that get the UFC? Sure they get Fedor, have the biggest events in their history and walk away will less money than they take from most regular UFC events? So if they end up with less profit than without Fedor, what is their gain? nothing.

From MMAConvert, from Jerry Millen on what it means:
    “Maybe he will be in the UFC, but it’s gotta be a co-promotion. We’re not asking for anything that’s crazy, we’re willing to take half the risk. We’re willing to take half the profit or half the loss…Yeah, yeah. You sit down with the hard numbers. What’s the fight purses? What’s the venue? What’s the advertising budget? Travel, food, throw it all in a pot, split it down the middle, and at the end of the event if the ink is black and there’s a profit, split the profit, and if the ink is red, then just split the loss.

The next level for us is an M-1 Global show, co-promoted with ‘question mark,’ with Fedor in that promotion,” says M-1 USA vice president Jerry Millen. “Fedor owns part of M-1 Global. Fedor wants what’s best for the company, best for him and best for MMA. … We co-promoted with (Affliction) to an extent. We’re looking for a true co-promotion”

So they want half. Half. Bullshit. Because, they say they are willing to take half of any losses, which the know will not happen. So UFC does all the work, gets all the fighters, brings in all the sponsors, negotiates the PPV as always. Everything is the same. EXCEPT THEY GIVE AWAY HALF THEIR FUCKING PROFITS!!!! M-1 treat co-promo a little different when they partnered with Affliction. No way they were willing to take half of those multimillion dollar losses. Only now, when talking to the UFC, do they want ‘real’ co-promotion, meaning half of everything the UFC makes.

How can you, in any way, think this would be a good idea for the UFC?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wait. I’m fighting battles on two fronts here.

Mr. 110%, maybe Fedor should have signed and gave his 110%

For additional reference please see Sergio’s comment @ 10:41 am

• roshambo says:

Ozz, while I personally disagree with the need for Arlovski, I will agree with you about Liddell. Liddell is actually in a worse spot than Arlovski. Liddell is older, has lost 4 of his last 5, 3 of which were by KO or TKO. I don’t think Liddell should fight again. I don’t think he needs the money and I don’t see the point but many people still do put him up on that pedestal and think he is still the greatest. Arlovski left the UFC so I don’t think they owe him anything especially after him losing 2 in a row. His value is low right now. What he does have going for him is he is young, had 5 wins in a row before his losses and can be marketable if he can get a coupld wins under his belt. He will probably make it back to the UFC but I don’t think he needs to be there right now or that they should rush to sign him.

• edub says:

To whom it may concern:

The UFC should never co-promote. It makes no sense. They are the biggest company in mma by far. There is no fighter in the world that is worth going forward with co-promotion. Fedor is good,great,the best of all time even, but he will lose. All champions that continue to fight lose.\

To all who question the UFC’s HW division I feel sorry for you. You have all the guys from tuf(which includes Roy Nelson who is a top 20 hw in his own right),Pat Barry, Tim Hague, Antoni Hardonk, Mirko Cro Cop, Paul Buentello, Chase Gormly, Ben Rothwell, Cheick Kongo, Gabriel Gonzaga, Junior Dos santos, Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin, Randy Couture, Big Nog, Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar.

I would think most would agree that there is no org on the planet(let alone if you put them all together) that is even close to the UFC.

• roshambo says:

I agree Edub. Co-Promotion is a waste of time and the HW division is not that bad at all. The UFC HW division is only going to get better as well. Hopefully the next season of TUF will provide even more talent to add to the pool. People say the HW is the UFC’s weakest division, I would personally go with MW. I mean aside from maybe Dan Henderson who would remotely give Silva a run for his money? There is nobody. I guess though in 4 fights, Silva will retire and then you will have a competitive MW division with mediocre fighters.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Alright.Let’s try it a different way.
    The obvious benefit would be that we’d would get to see Fedor fight UFC Heavyweights.
    Let’s just say for a moment that M-1 and the UFC were able to work something out.
    I’d buy the PPV.
    Would you?

And Ozz,
    All BS aside,I always respect your opinions.
    You obviously know yer MMA.
    What,in your opinion, would need to happen in order for even a one event co-promotion to take place ?
    One thing both orgs have in common is the desire to make MMA more Global.
    The UFC is breaking into new countries.
    M-1 has the M-1 Challenge series.
    Be the mediator for a moment.
    Is there any way for both companies to benefit?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

And please don’t say,”Hell freezing over.”

• ozz_the_powerful says:

One thing we can agree on- I would like to see Fedor in the UFC, bottom line. Period.

IF they were to be able to work something out, as in, if all the previous reported item were true (M-1 on the rails, m1 t-shirts, that stuff) then-

HELL YES I would but it. It’s an AWESOME opportunity to get behind Zuffa’s insane marketing machine.

For the second part of the question (“hell freezing over was funny as hell, I needed that”) —

I think maybe ONE time, it could happen. And yes, I would watch it.

I’m an MMA fan, first and foremost. I just have a lot of respect for Dana & Co for going 50mill in the hole, seeing it through, and being where they are today.

Moscow, Russia would be the place I would pick. I would do UFC # over there, but if it was only going to happen once, just one time, Fedor couldn’t fight for the title. It would have to be Randy vs Fedor, once and for all. HUGE PPV numbers from the states, Sell-out crowd in Moscow (HUGE ARENA), where Putin & Menvedev themselves would probably show up. It would be a national event.

One time, yes. I think they could do it. What will it require? I’ll let you answer that, 😉

• edub says:

I think it would require co-promotion to be a loose term with the profits being split more like 80/20 instead of 50/50.

Unless you do they Randy vs. Fedor fight in Russia for no title. Since it is not in the states it could still be for five rounds. When writing this now I see no way it would ever happen. Zuffa would get nothing out of this. Even if Randy wins Fedor is no longer that big of a draw. And they are back to square one. If Fedor wins they have made a star out of Fedor(giving M1 a lot more negotiating power).

If you give M1 a spotlight your creating a potential rival. Its just never gonna happen IMO.

Fair enough.
    Man,if Dana and Tito can make up,anything’s possible.
    I think the major stumbling block would be ring vs. octagon.
    And by the way,I apologize for bringing your grandma into this thread.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, don’t worry about it. I came from Junkie, so I got pretty thick skin. At least I don’t have to deal with NickHavok anymore. You might as well talk to a 2×4.

Fair arguement. Could you imagine an MMA fan politician…..

• roshambo says:

The only way I see co-promotion happening with M-1 is if they go the affliction route and stop promoting MMA and start making T-shirts. Other than Fedor the UFC has absolutely nothing to gain from it or M-1 in general. M-1 is crazy not to take the offer on the table. Heck if it was a 6 fight 6 million deal with all the other concessions the UFC has made regarding branding etc. that should be a huge win for M-1 even without the co-promoting, M-1 would be way more well known at the end of Fedor’s fight run than they are now. Right now their only press is bad press. Everyone thinks they are a Joke. Oh wait, everyone knows they are a joke. They could totally spin just the branding stuff into a huge market for themselves and really help build the M-1 brand into something well known world wide all without co-promotion. Hopefully they get a clue.

I won’t lie though.

A Pride / UFC Heavyweight Title Unification Match would be awesome to see, complete with Fedor making his entrance carrying the old Pride belt. That gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

cere,
    Regarding co-promotion.
    I’m gonna cut and paste here.

Question-
    “How can you, in any way, think this would be a good idea for the UFC?”
    Answer-
    “What does that get the UFC? Sure they get Fedor, have the biggest events in their history …”

CO-promotion doesn’t necessarily mean 50/50 on revenues.
    The UFC as a business must be doing something right.
    I feel that they must have the negotiating powers to dabble in co-promotion
    without having to fold their operations.
    They want Fedor,and so do I.
    Do you?
    Look,Millen’s a dick.
    And so is Dana.
    But Millen has aligned himself with Fedor.
    Dick or not,ya gotta give the guy credit.
    Or at least I do.
    I mean,I still effing hate him,but what are ya gonna do.
    On the other hand I love Dana ( his assholiness),and the Fertitas brothers.
    The UFC doesn’t have Fedor,nor do they need him.
    But I feel it’s the next “greatest thing ever” to happen in MMA.
    Do you?
    And it would be awesome to have the UFC take credit for it.
    And man,I believe there must be a way that the two parties can come up with some kind of deal that sees Fedor fighting UFC heavyweights.
    Do you?
    He doesn’t have to be sole property of the UFC.
    I remember an early UFC PPV where they were interviewing a representitive from Pride,and he stated that they would ‘lend’ Sakaraba to the UFC.
    I think it was when Chuck fought over in Japan.
    Either way,I didn’t know who Sak was,but man I was looking forward to seeing it happen.
    Of course it never panned out.
    My point is,now they all have a chance to make it happen.
    Let’s effing have Fedor fight UFC Heavyweights.
    He doesn’t HAVE to be a in the UFC.
    I don’t own stock in the UFC,(do you ?)so I don’t care about potential revenue gains or losses.
    And look man,like you,I’m just a fan of MMA.
    I just want to see it happen.
    Do you?
    Cheers

• cere says:

Dr.Stoppage

No, having the largest events in their history by having Fedor is meaningless to their bottom line of they then hand over 1/2 the profit. This is what M-1 is demanding. 1/2. I am sure they would go down to 1/3. So what? If getting Fedor in means walking away, after giving M-1 their cut, less than they would have profited from any non-Fedor UFC event, then again, what do they gain?

It is very simple. Bring in Fedor is not worth handing over a significant portion of the UFC’s profits. What would be reasonable? 10%? 20%? 40%?

See how that work? M-1 gets a cut of revenue for doing nothing. Sound familiar? It is a racket. It isn’t quite protection money, but it is a racket none the less.

Do I want Fedor in the UFC? Yep. Do I think it will be the next big thing? Yep. Is there a _reasonable_ compromise that could get Fedor in the UFC? Yep. Do I want to see it happen? Yep?

I just don’t expect the UFC to hand over money for nothing. They are offering to pay Fedor and pay him well. They have compromised on every single point. M-1 is the one that seems inflexible….i.e they are the all or nothing negotiators because the have Fedor.

Seriously, this demand is as ridiculous as their demands for the UFC to build a stadium. Why doesn’t M-1 also demand a rocketship, 50% stake in the UFC and a child from Dana and Lorenzo…I mean, just because those are unreasonable doesn’t mean they aren’t good ideas, if it means getting Fedor in the UFC. No, in reality thoe are all stupid ideas. Just as stupid as M-1 asking for 1/2 of all profits from all UFC event starring Fedor. He is not worth that much.

• anferny says:

I am starting to get a bit burned out concerning this topic..

but still, yes Dr.Stoppage, I have to agree with..
    ‘But I feel it’s the next “greatest thing ever” to happen in MMA. ‘

thanks ozz – ill go check out http://twitter.com/TitoOrtiz
    maybe that is the next greatet thing to happen..
    or at least something unexpected.. crazy news like
    ‘ Tito’s surgery went beyond what the public expected – he will now be able to face to winner of Carano vs. Cyborg’
    you never know

Cory,

What’s the record for most comments on a single story?

• cocoonofhorror says:

FinkleStink would not turn down $30 mil. especially when he can keep 35%.

Well, he did.

cere,
    your points are valid.
    But does the business bottom line affect you personally?
    So far all the points I read about a negative involving a Fedor fight as part of a co-promotion involve money.
    But baby,it ain’t MY money!
    I WANT TO PAY TO SEE IT HAPPEN.
    What exactly does M-1 want?
    Yah,I’ve read the posted statements by Millen and the Russian manager(too tired to print his name)
    Eeeeewwww…the UFC might lose some money in the end.
    Are you sure?
    The UFC won’t be losing MY money,nor will any org that puts up a Fedor fight.
    I was about to go into a tirade about what Fedor means to MMA.
    Not the UFC,but MMA in general.
    But you know what?
    I don’t need to.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wether we have our disagreements or not Dr Stoppage, the avatar is funny as hell.

• Cory Brady says:

@ ozz – I’m not sure what the all time record for Five Ounces is, but this has got to be the most since I’ve been here, which is just going on one year. The really cool thing is that a lot of theses posts from you guys are just absolutely epic. Well thought out, backed up with facts, respectful, ….. and passionate. I truly believe we have the best readers on the Internets right here at 5 Oz’s. Thanks for being a key part of that you guys! From the bottom of our black hearts,lol.

Hey Cory Brady,
    Here it is.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK about this situation.
    Can the representatives of the UFC find a way to have the representatives
    of M1 Global allow Fedor to fight UFC Heavyweights?

• fanoftna33 says:

Three more fights and Fedor comes to the ufc, or we go through all of this again.

• cere says:

Dr.Stoppage:
    You are right. It’s not your money and it’s not my money. But the problem for me, is that my perception of what is right and what is wrong is not based on if I am the one involved. I am not so fluid in my ideals. Wrong is wrong.

As I have said, this is a racket. No different than demands for protection money.

I understand you want Fedor in the UFC. So do I. Are you willing to pay any price? If so, by all means mortgage your house, sell you car and send the proceeds to M-1. Once they get a taste, maybe you could give in to their subsequent demands for a piece of every paycheck.

No, that would be unfair to expect. Why should the UFC be any more expected to enter into such an obviously unfair contract. Why are they only only party that has to bend?

I want the UFC to get Fedor more than anything other signing in all of MMA. It doesn’t affect me if Dana agrees to give 50% of the UFC to M-1. I would watch if it happened. Doesn’t mean I think it is right.

The main reason I say to just walk away at this point is that M-1’s demands are completely unreasonable and they know it. They have received more publicity this week that ever before. They are milking this. Everyone saying “keep going, give co-promotion, keep talking” is just buying into M-1’s PR stunt. Since co-promotion is not going to happen, the UFC needs to walk away and stop giving M-1 free advertising. When M-1 wants to talk seriously, I am sure Dana will take their call.

• Cory Brady says:

Personally I feel like the writing is already on the wall. I think both parties are absolutely cemented in their positions. Without one side giving up “that last thing”, which is co-promotion, it’s very unlikely you’ll see Fedor in the UFC anytime soon. I think we all know that the UFC would never allow co-promoting, and sadly the representatives from M-1 sure don’t look like their going to budge on their stance either based on statements they have released to the press. The question is: Who is there to face outside of the UFC for Fedor? There are a few names that definitely come to mind off of the top of my head. Also it would be interesting to see if any heavyweights would end up eventually leaving the UFC to chase that elusive dragon that is Fedor Emelianenko.

Cere –
    ” would watch if it happened. Doesn’t mean I think it is right”
    Nice admission.

cool angle, and I for one am one of those people saying,”Keep going, give co-promotion, keep talking”.
    M-1’s demands are NOT unreasonable,they just need to be TWEEKED heavily.
    I’ve got 50 bucks by my telephone just waiting for the next Fedor fight.
    It’s all about Fedor.
    Keep going,give co-proomotion,keep talking.
    There’s gotta be a way.
    Always remember free promotion costs nothing.
    That’s part of the reason why dudes like CORY BRADY are so effing popular.
    Right CORY BRADY?

• cere says:

Nothing new in my ‘admission’. I want this, but I recognize a bad deal when i see one. And tired of being played by M-1.

In the end, we are both arguing the same point: make it happen. But, if neither with concede on co-promotion and the UFC appears to have conceded on everything else, it seems like an exercise in futility to suggest/demand that they concede even more. In the give and take, it is time for M-1 to do one little bit a give. And they would be ‘giving’ up on something they have no entitlement to anyway.

So, make it happen or make it go away.