Update: Negotiations with Fedor and the UFC Remain Ongoing, Confirmed by M-1 Global

It appears as though Mixed Martial Arts fans planning to celebrate with a bit o’ bubbly on July 31st will need to keep their bottles on ice a little longer.

Earlier this week, the Los Angeles Times reported a contract between the UFC and top heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko was likely to be announced this upcoming Friday at an already-scheduled press conference. However, the LA Times’ Lance Pugmire has since retracted his earlier statement and explained that, while discussions between both sides remain ongoing, no finalized deal is expected to be in place by July 31st.

Echoing his sentiments, M-1 Global CFO Joost Raimond has confirmed Emelianenko’s camp and the UFC are currently in the process of negotiating with each other but nothing official has been agreed upon.

• fanoftna33 says:

At least they are talking about it. We need a good mediator involved in this soon.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I really believe that for Fedor & M-1, this has come down to “sh!t or get off the pot”

• Jstew3785 says:

Damn it. I’m not going to lie, I had my hopes up like a little kid.

• fanoftna33 says:

We still have the conference on Friday by Dana, a lot can be done between now and then.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think you are right Ozz.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think by now we all know the problem isn’t Dana & the UFC. It’s Fedor’s management. They hide behind the co-promotion claim b/c they know UFC won’t go for it. In the beginning, maybe that worked, but the fans are pretty keen on what’s going on now. We’re not stupid. Klit-whatever (Fedor’s manager) is the damn issue. We all know it.

• Jstew3785 says:

I hope you’re right fan. I hope something big happens on Friday. If Fedor does not come to the UFC now then I don’t think he ever will. I can’t take the suspense anymore.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’ll tell you this much. If he doesn’t come to the UFC I am done with the guy. SICK of hearing about the “will you or won’t you.”

He has a few fights outside the UFC then what?

• fanoftna33 says:

He will retire a very rich undefeated fighter(nobody counts the loss to koshaka in rings). Probably the best fighter to never fight in the ufc. Like Dan Marino is the best quaterback to have never won a superbowl.

• Frankmur says:

When Fedor no longer has any MMA organizations smaller than the UFC willing to pay him six figures for one fight he will sign with the UFC.If he signs and loses his first fight he would also lose the stock value he enjoys from being perceived as the best heavyweight in the world; therefore it is in his interest to use his name and stature to milk every small organization dry and only than risk said stature by signing with the UFC.

• Frankmur says:

That does not mean that i believe Fedor would lose to Brock,It’s just good business.

• Frankmur says:

Good business, until we the fans get tired of waiting for him to make the move before we stop caring!

• fanoftna33 says:

People would still pay to see him in 5 years. He is a young still in his prime years as a fighter. If he only fights twice a year and doesnt retire we could still see him in the ufc. But imagine how much better guys like Brock, and Cain are going to be. I say come over now , beat these guys while you can the retire as the best ever.

• Frankmur says:

I would like to see Brock have a few more fights under his belt before fighting Fedor but it seems like the stars are aligned and in terms of a payday the time should be 6 months to a year!

• dpk says:

Ozz, I have to agree with you. If they don’t get this done with UFC, I will not watch a Fedor fight in another organization. They are using this co-promotional nonsense to screw the fans who want to see Fedor against the very best. UFC doesn’t need it, because between now and the 2nd of January UFC already has 6 PPV events scheduled that will each generate more sales alone than the PPVs Fedor has been a part of combined.

That being said, I still hope come Friday they announce Fedor v Brock at UFC 103.

• fanoftna33 says:

I have to say I will still watch the guy fight, if he goes to the M-1 fights in August that means he will be on free(kind of) T.V. But really no matter where he ends up its likely to be shown on HD-net.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I just hope this isn’t a big promotional deal. Think about it. M-1 uses a press conference to tell us Fedor is headlining a F’ing video game? And then throw in there the part about Babalu Sobral and Mousasi being in there?

Sounds to me like EA is trying to get back at the UFC.

The nail in the coffin will be, as usual, “Sorry, the UFC was too restrictive, wouldn’t co-promote, blah, blah, blah,…. Oh, by the way, be sure to buy EA Sports MMA and watch Strikeforce!!”

I could EASILY see it coming. Why pay for the hype when the UFC hyped it for you?

• PlagueAngel says:

Do you think Strikeforce can pay Fedor 400k or more? Thats how much the UFC pays some of their elite fighters plus the pay per view revenue and sponsers. It just makes sense that Fedor joins the UFC because if he dominates, he will make a fortune. How much does Strikeforce pay their high level fighters?

• fanoftna33 says:

Strikeforce paied Frank around 345,000 for his last fight, but he is a huge draw, fedor may lower his price to 600,000 but probably no lower. In the ufc top heavyweights can make tha but Dana had already offered Fedor more money than anyone else, plus all the new sponsers and bonus $ he wouldnt take less than 1.5 million for his first fight. No I dont think strikeforce could or should try to pay that amount for him, as much as I would love to see it.