Nick Diaz vs. Jay Hieron set for Strikeforce Welterweight Championship

jay-hieronA welterweight title fight between Nick Diaz and Jay Hieron will be one of the live televised bouts on the upcoming “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” card.

The news comes courtesy of a recent report from MMAFanhouse.com who confirmed the match-up through Hieron’s manager, Ken Pavia.

The unlikely championship bout came to fruition after Joe Riggs was pulled from fight with Diaz due to a bad reaction suffered to a drug, and Jay Hieron being yanked from his expected match-up with Paul Daley because of the cancellation of “Affliction Trilogy”.

Apparently Hieron was all set to make his return to the UFC until it was discovered that he had recently inked a deal with “EA Sports MMA“, which ultimately brought an abrupt conclusion to the negotiations.

Not to worry, Hieron’s as excited as he could be being able to step right into a title shot with Strikeforce. Sometimes opportunities such as this one only come knocking once in the course of one’s life, it’s up to you what you do with it.

“I couldn’t turn down an opportunity to fight for a title shot,” Hieron was quoted as saying. “I had other offers on the table and with the UFC. I just signed a video game deal that I was obligated to [and] I couldn’t get out of it.

“UFC stepped up the offer for me. It was a great offer, but again, I signed a deal with EA Sports. I was definitely surprised and I was ready to go back to the UFC. I got a great opportunity with Strikeforce, though, and I’m excited to fight for a title.”

“Strikeforce: Carano vs.Cyborg” is set for August 15 from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and will air live on Showtime.

Other than the headlining bout, the card will feature a Strikeforce light-heavyweight championship pitting Renato “Babalu” Sobral up against Gegard Mousasi, and a lightweight title rematch between Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

On a side note to this, Paul Daley inked a 4 fight deal with the UFC yesterday.

“I was definitely surprised and I was ready to go back to the UFC. I got a great opportunity with Strikeforce, though, and I’m excited to fight for a title.”

You know what that says to me? “I thought I had a much better chance beating Diaz than GSP.”

I like the guy and maybe that’s just the way my mind works, but it does seem a bit odd.

Cory, he mentions the video game in there a few times. Can you tell us if it was an issue in negotiations? Statements like-

“UFC stepped up the offer for me. It was a great offer, but again, I signed a deal with EA Sports.”

make me believe that maybe the threats were not empty?

• hindsightufuk says:

wonder what sort of rights EA have over these fighters images. whether its for a one off game or a series?

great news for paul daley also, chuffed for him

• Fro420 says:

I can’t wait for this fight, at least some good is coming from Afflictions demise.

I am curious about the EA Sports contract..

• I would guess EA has them locked in for at least two or three titles.

And yeah, Daley will be fun in the UFC. Looking forward to him at 105 against someone like Davis or Hardy or Saunders… total slugfest.

• fanoftna33 says:

Daley looked very tough against sheilds one of the top ww, his striking and chin imo put him ahead of davis at this point, a fight with Lytle or Alves would be cool.

• Holy hell, a Daley/Lytle fight would be insane!!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’d like to see him against Ben Saunders, myself. When Swick ko’d him, I had a big smile on my face. I’d hope Daley could do the same.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Daley would ruin Lytle but in a exciting fight. I dont know if he could take swick, though I would like to see it.

• fanoftna33 says:

The fight I would really like to see , If the ufc could get Gomi, Is Sanchez vs Gomi. Sanchez has won his two lt weight fights but has not been so Impressive he deserves a shot now. If he gets by Gomi then give him the shot.

• hindsightufuk says:

gotta agree i’d love to see Gomi in the UFC
    or at least fighting some top light weights.
    regularly

• fanoftna33 says:

It does seem odd that he chose strikeforce with the ufc making him a offer. I am still not sure if its because he is in the game HE chose not to go to the ufc or they chose not to take him.

• Bullylover says:

I think this fight might be a lot closer than everyone thinks. Diaz is definately the better fighter but heiron has way better wrestling. If he uses his head he might stand a good chance even though i dont really seeing him getting past diaz. I’d definately love to see Daley face Davis,Lytle,swick,or alves but a fight between him and Hardy in london would be firework, hope it happens.

• fanoftna33 says:

They wont match them up in london yet, give Daley a few wins and they can build his name some then IF hardy gets some more wins you have a huge fight for the local London crowd.