Jeff Monson Pleads Guilty

MonsonJeff Monson, the hulking highly rated heavyweight known to his fans as “The Snowman”, has pled guilty to malicious mischief for spray-painting an anarchist symbol on the Washington State Capital in 2008 according to a recent report from the Associated Press.

The warrant for his arrest wasn’t issued until January 14, 2009 after pictures of Monson committing the crime surfaced in ESPN The Magazine.

Monson also entered an Alford plea for similar crimes committed at the Lacey Armed Services Recruitment Center, which means he didn’t admit guilt, but admitted there was enough evidence to convict him if he tried to challenge it.

It is being reported that prosecutors will be seeking a jail-term of 90 days and a $21,894 restitution fee as part of a plea deal.

“The Snowman” is scheduled for sentencing on October 1 and will remain free until then.

Monson recently made headlines as being one of the heavyweights willing to step up and fight Fedor Emelianenko in place of Josh Barnett before “Affliction Trilogy” was ultimately cancelled.

He is currently on a seven fight win streak and boasts an overall MMA record of 30-8.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

$21,894 to scrub off spray paint?

Must have been….. Nevermind. Not the time or place to get into politics, and I think MMA fans are the LAST people I want to argue about politics with!

• David Andrest says:

Actually Jeff Monson is the last guy you want to Argue politics with, with the avg mma fan a close second.

• egad81 says:

NON VIOLENT CRIME…. NO JAIL TIME NEEDED.

They can use the $21K to fix the damage and thats more then enough.

America is such a mess.
    Can we jail George Bush for letting us get robbed for 8 years?

• Kamakosmo says:

As much as I’d love to scream my take on this, I will go the way of others, and leave my personal politics out of this place.

• fanoftna33 says:

no wonder he wanted to fight Fedor he needed the money.

• metalmulisha says:

If he’s not going to be sentenced until Oct.1st I guess he won’t be able to fight in Brazil on Sept.12. He might not be allowed to leave the country.

• edub says:

I wonder if anyone would try and mess with him in jail.

21 gs and 90 days in jail is to harsh of a punishment for these crimes IMO.

• fanoftna33 says:

They want to send a message and he is well known enough to do that.

• 90 days in jail huh. Crazy that Donte Stallworth serves 24 days for killing a guy while drunk driving and they want to give Monson 90 days for spray painting a government building. +1 for the justice system, I guess.

• hindsightufuk says:

its sucks. my take on politics is…
    they’re all cunts.

I like Jeff as a fighter too, one of the best submission grapplers in the sport

• Angry Mike says:

First degree malicious mischief involves damage to property exceeding $1500.00. It’s a class B felony in Washington; Class A is the worst category. If he plead guilty, he’s now a convicted felon. It’ll be interesting to see whether this affects his ability to enter other countries, which have no obligation to give him a visa. As Forrest Gump’s momma used to say, “stupid is as stupid does.”

• Charlie Freak says:

Seems a bit harsh.

But honestly, does anyone here want some overgrown retard spray painting stuff on his house… regardless of whether or not you agree with the slogan he painted?

• BigDave says:

Lets face it jeff monson is an oaf. he likes to spray paint buildings while ESPN takes pictures, oh and lets not forget he was also arrested for smackin his girl around. He is an all around ass and has all but killed any chance of being able to take part in any mma events outside the u.s. . As for the punishment I say let him do the 90 days and pay the fines serves him right for being a stupid douchebag.

• Gurthee says:

A wise man once said, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

• It seems the government gets especially butthurt if it’s something they own that gets vandalized.

I guarantee you that the penalty wouldn’t be NEARLY as stiff if Monson tagged some random convenience store.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. People do shit like that all the time. Why be so harsh to him? Government always needs to make an example out of someone with a name though. See: Michael Vick