Gegard Mousasi: ‘I want to be part of the Showtime boxing series’

mousasiSporting a mixed martial arts record of 28-2, and a professional kickboxing record of 1-0, Gegard Mousasi has recently revealed that he his sights set on a future in the sweet science.

The news from Mousasi comes on the heels of the previous announcement that the bout between himself and Renato “Babalu” Sobral that had been scrapped from “Affliction Trilogy” had been salvaged for the “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” card on August 15.

“I signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce and I want to box,” Mousasi was quoted as saying in a recent conversation with Ariel Shnerer from The Fight Network. “I hope to be part of the Showtime boxing series, too.”

Mousasi kicking off his boxing career on Showtime would make perfect sense being that the MMA promotion he is currently signed to also has television deal with the popular cable company.

The dangerous Dutch-Armenian mixed martial artist competing in professional boxing is not that far of a stretch considering his first round TKO destruction over the much more experienced striker Musashi in a kickboxing bout held on New Years Eve of 2008. Musashi had fought well over 80 professional kickboxing bouts before he was completely embarrassed by Mousasi in Japan.

However, before Gegard will be boxing anyone he has some unfinished business to take care of in the form of two, or more possibly three MMA bouts. Mousasi will first face off with Babalu at the Strikeforce event in August before he heads to Japan to face off with Sokoudjou in the DREAM Super Hulk Tournament semifinals. If he wins that bout he will compete in the finals that same evening against either Hong Man Choi or Ikuhisa Minowa.

• fanoftna33 says:

Remember how well this worked out for KJ, please focus on one sport at a time.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

3 fight deal with SF? Boxing too?

You can forget about ever seeing this guy in the Cage. Good luck to him though.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think he is a great MMA fighter but so far switching has not worked for anyone … yet. I still hope Arlovski can do well in boxing.

• dpk says:

Why??? This guy is on the verge of being a big time international star in MMA, and he wants to go box. I’m not saying he couldn’t be successful, I just don’t understand these guys.

• Hohlraum says:

If I hear one more person ask why MMA fighters are interested in boxing I think I’m going to snap. I’ll spell it out. $$$$$$$$$ M O N E Y $$$$$$$$$$

• edub says:

Me neither.

There is a big difference in an over the hill Mushashi, and the type of boxers he would go up against in the Shobox series.

• Great for him, sucks for the fans.

I’m all for people following their dreams and whatever but as an MMA fan, I want to see this dude fighting in a cage.

• edub says:

I wouldnt mind them being interested Hohlraum if they would take a little more time to make the jump into boxing. I know a lot of people say this, but I believe it to be true.

Boxing is a completely different sport than MMA when it comes down to it.
    (Other than them both being hand to hand combat sports obviously.)

• ozz_the_powerful says:

It’s like an American Football Player going to Europe to play Rugby, or Formula 1 going to NASCAR (been done, but only by a few) or Baseball to Cricket.

Ok, maybe a few of those were far fetched, but you get my point.

• fanoftna33 says:

I agree edub boxing takes many years to learn, mma boxing is very different. If this is his goal, great. But as you pointed out there is a big difference between a k-1 fight with Musashi, and a pro boxing match. You know thoes guys are licking thier chops to prove to any MMA fighter who is better.

• shotokai_ says:

Yeah he would get schooled by any half decent pro-boxer. But if he has one boxing match and loses badly he will most likely return to mma fighting exclusively after that, so I’m not too worried.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

If there was ever any fight between a boxer and an MMA fighter, it would be Torres vs Mayweather.

Have you guys seen all the sh!t those two have been talking back and forth!?

• fanoftna33 says:

I do remember Tim Sylvia wanted to box also. That didnt go over very well so maybe Gegard will get some good advice on staying with MMA. I mean this guy is already the first Dream MW champion, possible strikeforce lt heavyweight champion, why quite when you are on top. Since Arlovski started dividing his time between the two he is only 1-2 losing by ko twice. If he really wants this unfortunatly for us mma fans he needs to quit mma for good and only focus on boxing.

• shotokai_ says:

Yeah and Sylvia got his fat ass knocked the f*ck out by 67 year old Ray Mercer, haha, classic. Arlovski is one of the few I think that could possibly make the transition. Freddie Roach has been impressed with his hand speed and movement for a HW since working with him. Roach has also said in the past that he thinks BJ is the best boxer in mma today after working with him, although I’m not sure how long ago it was that he said that.
    Mayweather would f*ck Torres up so bad in a boxing match I don’t even want to think about it. He’s on another level to most world class boxers, nevermind MMA fighters.

• fanoftna33 says:

Yes Shotokai mayweather would ruin Torres in a boxing match no doubt. But it will never happen. These guys know that they will never fight each other because there is no common ground, boxers would get killed in mma and mma fighters would get killed in boxing. Even kickboxing is to far romoved from boxing to be fair.

• edub says:

After some thinking I realize this is my biggest problem with mma fighters going to box boxers.

MMA is still new and still has critics that say it does not take as much skill. Brock Lesnar does not help that argument being the HW champ and only having 5 fights. Tim Sylvia getting knocked out by an old Ray Mercer also adds fuel to the fire. KJ Noons who was thought to have amazing standup just got beat by a journeyman whos not even important enough for me to remember his name(he is im just an idiot).

The more fighters that cross over to go box are painting a picture that looks like they are fighting just to prove they are good enough to go box IMO(which we know simply isn’t true, but it could look this way to casual fans).

If these guys wanna really compete against boxers that bad they should try and bait them into fighting an mma bout or a kick boxing match. Not be stupid and go fight these guys who havent been training in 8 other disciplines there whole career.

(Im puting this in both threads.)

• metalmulisha says:

As long as Mousasi is fighting lower level boxers I really don’t see it being a big deal it’s not like he’ll be fighting contenders in Boxing this is probably one of the ways Strikeforce sweetened the pot for him to sign a contract getting Showtime to put him into Boxing on ShoBox.
    And KJ Noons has done well in his boxing career he’s 9 & 2.
    He won his last fight and the fight before that he lost a decision to a guy who’s not a championship caliber boxer for sure but is 14 and 1. Definitely not to bad for a guy who hasn’t trained just in boxing all his fighting life.

• edub says:

Why wouldnt kick boxing be a fair middle ground to boxers???

It takes away half the game from mma fighters, and it insures the fight stays on the feet.

• fanoftna33 says:

They dont train at all to kick, or be kicked mma fighters do. Both train to hit and be hit with thier hands but thats where the similarities end.

• edub says:

Im not saying it would be “their world” I just think there are more similarities in Kickboxing and boxing than there is in MMA and Kickboxing.

Dont forget mma fighters spend half there training on the ground.

• fanoftna33 says:

Kickboxing is as close as we will get to a even fight. I agree there are more similarites between kickboxing and boxing.