Strikeforce claims Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez bout is not in jeopardy

After a weeks worth of cancellations and let-downs, it appears as though there is one anticipated match-up in August that the MMA community can breathe a collective sigh of relief about.

Earlier reports had surfaced that the Strikeforce lightweight championship bout between Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez was in danger of being scrapped due to Thomson’s inability to fully recover from a recently broken leg.

Strikeforce’s Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz has recently squashed those reports in a recent conversation with The Fight Network, stating, “Those reports were not true”.

The lightweight championship is expected to take place as planned on August 15 from San Jose, California. The card will feature a main event  between Gina Carano and Cris “Cyborg” Santos and will air live on Showtime.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope Thomsen looks good in this fight. I wonder how rumors like this get started? There must be some truth to it somewhere.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Those reports were not true?

OK, so I guess Josh didn’t say this:

“I broke it right at the ankle, so I had to have some plates put in with some screws,” Thomson said. “It was a double break in the fibia. I had a break in the lower part of the bone and a break in the upper part of the bone. I got eight screws and a plate put in.

“It was kind of a nasty break. The good thing is it wasn’t a jagged break. There was no compound fracture.”

Now nearly four months later, Thomson admitted he’s not yet 100 percent.

“I guess you could say that two weeks ago I was on crutches,” Thomson said.

“I’ve decided to go with the non-training method for this fight – kind of play it by ear and see what happens. There’s a lot of things I couldn’t do. I’m not training like I was able to for the first fight, and we’re going to see what happens.”

Sounds like a big cover to me. The guy was on crutches 2 weeks ago. This is ridiculous

• fanoftna33 says:

Remember when thomsen won the belt he had just rehabbed a shoulder injury and wasnt 100%. This guy must like fighting hurt.

• edub says:

I really hope he looks good.

Another note: If Gilbert loses this fight i wanna see him go back down to 145.

• youfightme... says:

Strikeforce is a bunch of liars!!!!!!! All of’em!

• fanoftna33 says:

Gilbert to the wec.

• This card is starting to hit UFC 85-type levels.

First Overeem, then Riggs and now Thomson?

Thankfully Mousasi/Babalu make the switch and Diaz is likely to get a better opponent in Hieron.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Like I said, all that’s left is for Carano to miss weight….. BIG SURPRISE!!

• fanoftna33 says:

The latest news on Thomson is that he will fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Maybe he will. I expect NOTHING from him though. In his own quote, he said he didn’t train. PERIOD. Nothing. He was in crutches 2 1/2 weeks ago. I expect to see nothing in this fight, IF it happens.

I can’t believe he even got doctors clearence to fight to begin with (medical suspension?)

• fanoftna33 says:

He could be trying to throw Gilbert off his game. If he was still on crutches a few weeks ago there is no way he passes a pre fight physical. Maybe this is his way of keeping Coker from bringing in another fighter(Hordedki maybe) and giving them a interim title.

• roshambo says:

I don’t understand why fight promotions can’t just come clean about fights. So now Thomson is out and they Melendez will defend his interim belt. I don’t get the point of strikeforce trying to cover all of this up. Why not just come clean but reassure fans that belts will still be on the line. Fighers get injured, it can’t be prevented fans understand that it happens. I don’t understand what they thought they would gain by blowing smoke. I will at least commend them for doing their best to keep 4 title matches on the card.