Report: UFC to announce Fedor signing on Friday

Although it is nothing more than pure speculation at this point and there has been no official announcement, it appears as though Fedor Emelianenko could possibly be coming to the UFC sooner than many had expected.

According to a recent report by Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, The UFC is expected to announce an agreement with “The Last Emperor” at a press conference scheduled for this Friday.

The report in The Los Angeles Times quoted a “source with information about the negotiations”, so this thing is far from a done deal.

The man himself, Fedor Emelianenko is set to hold his own press conference this Wednesday, which will be two days prior to the UFC’s.

Stay tuned to Five Ounces as we continue to keep you up to date on all news Fedor.

• edub says:

Ummm…… wow.

Good eye Ozz. and Corey.

• metalmulisha says:

I thought F

• fanoftna33 says:

He wont say anything wednesday about it. I hope he fights Brock this year, and is able to handle himself in a cage.

BAM, POW ! !

Awesome Corey!!

*High Fives Self*

• metalmulisha says:

I don’t know what happened to my previous post, but I’m with fanoftha33.
    Fedor has a press conference tomorrow he’s not going to mention?

• Hitman Hartnell says:

All this big news lately really makes me not care that affliction is done promoting. I loved their cards and all but, fedor, in the UFC…affliction who?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

He may have been told not to let the cat out of the bag until Dana has his “Sunshine Moment”

• edub says:

Yea I would almost guarantee he says nothing about it on wednesday.

• fanoftna33 says:

I bet he has a ear to ear grin at wednesdays conference. Also does anybody else think maybe the relationship with Atencito could have helped, if Fedor does sign?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I believe that whole heartedly, Fan

As I’ve explained before, they both were good friends. The start of the Affliction promotion led to the split, and I *believe* that Tom just got on the phone, had a civilized conversation with Dana, and they just buried the hatchet. Kinda like the Tito thing.

Is it just me or does Dana seem to be real forgiving lately…..?

• fanoftna33 says:

I think ever since Lorenzo took a more active role in the day to day business things have been shaping up.

• metalmulisha says:

I just read a post on MMA Fanhouse someone saying he saw a rumor of Brock vs. Fedor for UFC 103 to go up against Mayweather’s PPV fight that same night.

Take that for what it’s worth I’ve been scouring the blogs and forums looking for some solid info but didn’t find anything but A LOT of crazy rumors.
    Makes me glad I don’t post or visit most of those places on a daily basis.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I saw the same thing last night and was wondering about that. Sep 19th isn’t even enough time for a full camp though, you think? That would be too soon, IMHO

Fan, I looked EVERYWHERE and can’t find anything on when or what time the press conference is.

Maybe Corey can help us out on that one…

• metalmulisha says:

I think Sept.19th is realistic.
    I mean Fedor has obviously been training to fight Aug.1st and Brock took virtually no damage in his fight with Mir aside from wearing out his fists on Frank’s face.
    I’m sure he could be ready by then since he probably isn’t going to tell Dana and Lorenzo no considering the fiasco he started after UFC 100.
    Again though this is just all a rumor.
    I haven’t seen any of the bigger MMA sites like Sherdog or MMA Weekly pick up on this.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Exactly why I come to 5oz…. News that’s actually relevant.
    I could care less if Tim Kennedy is getting out of the Army to go MMA full time, or if John Hosman is replacing Kenji Osawa at WEC 42.

THIS is what matters

• ozz_the_powerful says:

True about being ready to fight. Just never seen a title get defended that quick before.

Sure as hell won’t complain though!!!

• Cory Brady says:

No time has been set for the UFC press conference. The only news available is that it has been tentatively scheduled for July 31 and there should be some big announcements. I’d imagine it will be around noon ET. We’ll keep you guys up to date.

• fanoftna33 says:

Thanks corey. I can see Dana stringing us along though, like if he hasnt quite worked out a contract with someone(wink wink Fedor) he will end this conferenc with the old line I have been working on a hugh signing but cant say more about it just yet.

• swiftyfrisko says:

I’d love to see Lesnar – Fedor as much as anyone, but remember Randy has something in his contract about fighting Fedor, should he come to the UFC. I’m not sure if its that he must be the first to fight him or whether the UFC just has to make best endeavors to make it happen though.

• dpk says:

I’m trying not to get my hopes up, until I see Dana with Fedor on the stage together. I sure as hell hope this is happening, but until Sherdog, Junkie, and Yahoo run with it I’m still a little skeptical.

• BigDave says:

now i guess we will see Dana calling him the best hw in the world and talking about the former champs he has beat.

I think the guy going to get screwed in all this is big nog cause lets face it I feel its a foregone conclusion that nog will be bumped from ufc 102 so we get fedor vs randy.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think you are right bigdave. But hopefully they giv Nog someone just as tough.

• dpk says:

I’d love to see the press conference go something like this.

1 – Ben Rothwell and Chase Gromley will be fighting for UFC at UFC 104, it has already been out there, but it will help build suspense.
    2 – Dan Lauzon and Chris Horodrecki will be fighting at Fight night 19
    3 – We’ve signed Takanori Gomi, and he is going to fight Frankie Edgar at UFC 104
    4 – We have an agreement with Vitor Belfort, and he will be fighting Dan Henderson at UFC 104, The winner will fight for the MW title.
    5 – Welcome back Tito Ortiz, he will make his return against Rich Franklin at UFC 103
    6 – Welcome Fedor to the UFC, he will fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 103.

• swiftyfrisko says:

If he signs, and Randy does have something binding about the first fight in his contract, BigDave could be right about Nog being bumped from 102.

But I dunno… even if there was no chance whatsoever of Fedor signing, you know this rumour would still be going around. Let’s see what goes down at Fed’s presser today…

• s00nertp says:

woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    I cant wait until the announcement even more now!

mmajunkie is down for me right now, I wonder if it is because everyone in the world wants more news on Fedor? :]

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Anybody know anything about Fedor’s press conference? I know WHERE it is, but any press covering it?

• shotokai_ says:

dpk if you are right, that would be one sick f*cking press conference. Lets hope so.
    BigDave I severely doubt they would bump Nog off the 103 card and replace him with Fedor as he is deep in on a training camp for Randy and also Dana was only so eager to have Fedor fight Randy when Randy was champ; Dana’s said on multiple occasions that if Fedor does sign he gets an immediate title shot (and deservedly so).
    If he does sign, wonder if they will market him as the “current WAMMA heavyweight champ”, or just as this bad ass wrecking machine from Russia.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I guarantee they hold it as a pride / ufc heavyweight title unification.

• Jstew3785 says:

Holy Crap! This is what I get for leaving work early and not getting on the computer last night. I know this is only speculation, but this is huge. UFC 103 could definitely work. I’m sure Lesnar would like more time to prepare, but how could he pass up an opportunity to fight Fedor? If they announce it Friday, Lesnar would have 6 weeks to prepare, and it’s not like he’s out of shape considering he just fought. I cannot wait for Friday. If they truly do announce this I will probably have a coors light, thats a coors light. And maybe I’ll even get on top of my wife. LOL, I just couldn’t resist.

• fanoftna33 says:

Ozz I havent checked yet but any news on Fedors conference should be on the M-1 global website.

• fanoftna33 says:

DPK Gomi vs Edgar would be great. I am happy to see that Rothwell is coming to the ufc, he will be a very solid addition like a heath herring type i belive. Can you Imagine if they could get thoes guys all in the same event, it would blow ufc 100 ppv buys out of the window.

• Jstew3785 says:

DPK- I hope everything you said comes true on Friday. That would be the greatest announcement of all time.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hey Corey I just read in a No. CA newspaper Station Casinos are filling for bankruptcy. Here is the linkhttp://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090728/BUSINESS/907289912/0/OBITS

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Well, Ben Rothwell & Chase Gormley will now meet at UFC 104.

It’s starting…..

• fanoftna33 says:

I just checked out the ufc card for next weekend, there is 4 pretty interseting fights.
    Penn v Florian
    Silva v Griffen
    Almeida v Grove
    Pelligrino v Neer
    these are all some pretty tough fights.

Guys?

Ben Rothwell & Chase Gormley are from Affliction? Does anyone see what I’m saying? This is the start of it, I believe.

• fanoftna33 says:

We see what you are saying ozz, it just by now we are nummbed by all this news, did you see my post above about station casinos, they are the Fertita brothers, if they run out of money what happens to the ufc. This has been such a weird few days.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I checked it as soon as you posted it. Good find, actually. I’m surprised though that it didn’t try to correlate with the Fertittas and UFC somehow.

• fanoftna33 says:

It is from a big city witch coincidentally they do have some ties to a ufc as they did a huge piece a few years ago on Dave Terrell, a local fighter who fought for the MW belt. So yes I am surprised also OZZ.

• Man, I nearly freaked the geek out when I read this yesterday.

I’ve calmed down since then and am fully prepared to NOT hear Fedor’s signing on Friday.

Gotta lower the bar of expections…

Still Sergio,

NOTHING will compare to how hard I laughed when you shared that story about back in 96 and talking to a friend about the ufc.

That sh!t was HILARIOUS!!!!

• Angry Mike says:

How cool would this be? Fedor finally lands in the UFC! Before I get too wound up, though, I’ll have to see how this unfolds. Fedor’s management has been an obstacle in the past, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed or increased their demands after a press conference announcing his move. That would be a tough-minded way to pressure UFC and make them look like the villians if they don’t meet the demands and the talks fall through (again)

• fanoftna33 says:

When I acually see Feodr step into the octagon then I will belive it.

• ozz, I still chuckle about that from time to time. Oh, memories.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i will believe when i see.

• cocoonofhorror says:

nothing to see here, move along….

• redwire says:

OMG! They signed…

OK, OK, I’m moving along…