Vadim Finkelchtein: ‘We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete’

Vadim and FedorAs if this week in news could possibly get any crazier, M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelchtein closes it out with a bang by recently announcing that he is eager to discuss Fedor Emelianenko‘s future with the UFC in the coming days.

According to the powerful Russian businessman, he and Fedor are in currently in the states and ready to negotiate with all interested parties following the recent demise of Affliction as a fight promotion..

“This is the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about,” explained Finkelchtein in a recent interview with Mixfight.ru as first reported by M-1 Global.com. “Fedor and I are here in the States. If they want to come out and fly here, we are ready to conduct negotiations. Of course it still doesn’t imply we are ready to accept any conditions they’ll throw at us. We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global.”

So Fedor vs. Josh Barnett is never going to happen now, right? Not so fast says Finkelchtein, believe it or not, there may be a chance of the bout still going down in August.

“There are many business meetings and negotiations planned with all the major promotions,” said Vadim. “We will explore the possibility of Fedor fighting Barnett and will even look into whether the fight can take place as soon as August (since Barnett has not been suspended).”

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dammitt!! I posted all my good comments already in another post!!

As said before though, Dana would NEVER co-promote, and he shouldnt have to.

Here’s my previous post-

Dana & the Fertittas have built the UFC to where it now is today. They have done everything; Be it interviews on news channels, free promotion in the form of free numbered cards, went on Dr. f*cking Phil! I think it would really be them laying down and taking it if they bend over for this ONE guy. Dana didn’t even do it for Cro Cop. He did a one fight verbal, but that’s not in the same league as this. Sh!t, that’s not even the same sport!

I for one would lose respect for them if they give in with the co-promotion. It’s getting to the point now that I could almost care less. That’s how sick of it I am.

If Fedor can’t tell his management to shut up and make the jump, then let him go back to DREAM & M-1 and live out his days. It will eat him alive in the long run though, b/c he, as well as everyone else, will wonder if he could have made it in the UFC. There will be two distinct groups of people then. Those that COMPLETELY discredit him, and those that will die believing he was the greatest ever, without ever fighting the biggest promotions greatest ever.

• fanoftna33 says:

Good point ozz, yes they did build the ufc, and I would really like to hear from the man himself(Fedor) on what he wants to do. If he wants to fight for the ufc he could just say so. I wonder if the guys at m-1 have something over him to keep him there ie friendships,promised money or whatever.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think strikeforce is the only choice here. We know they will cross promote and they have a opening in the heavyweight bout coming up. The only problem would be the money from what ive read Coker is a pretty frugal business man. Although he would have Fedor he is putting event on cable and losing out on ppv revenue.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

He has said so. He has spoken out about it. The problem is he sold his soul to the Devil when he inked the deal with his current management. Think about how much money this guy has…. He lives in a freakin 2 bedroom apartment in Russia with his wife!! Does that give you any indication as to how much control over him and his finances they have?

It’s just sad. Plain sad

• Persian_Prince says:

LOL, M1 wants to use Fedor to get a piece of UFC’s action, the only problem is that the mainstream ppv-buyers don’t know shi* about Fedor, which means UFC really doesn’t need Fedor, which means StrikeForce will once again get lucky!

• fanoftna33 says:

Coker has keept strikeforce running for a long time and is known for being tight with the pay. that would be the main sticking point between fedor and strikeforce imo.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Agreed with the Prince. However, I think a few promo videos leading up to ANY bout would nullify the fans not knowing about him

• fanoftna33 says:

affliction has shown lots of promos leading up to there two events, I think until he fights on a huge card, wheather it is the ufc or strikeforce, and all the casual fans in America really see how good he is, his popularity will stay where it is. Although news like this (affliction getting cancelled) cant hurt.

• s00nertp says:

There isnt as much money in Dream I think. If Fedor wants the bigger pay days, I think UFC is the place to be.

• Jstew3785 says:

What a friggin joke. He knows that the UFC will not do any cross-promotion. He’s just trying to make it look like they are open when really he’s just being a dick. I’d really like to see him sign a one fight deal like they did with Cro Cop. I know it was verbal but whatever. Even if he won the title and never fought in the UFC again, it would be worth it just to shut up all the haters. Of course I’d like to see him fight a certain few guys in the UFC, but even if he just destroyed Lesnar and walked away I would be happy.

• fanoftna33 says:

They would never sign a one fight deal and let the guy fight for the title. Even guys in in the ufc dont get a title shot without a few fights left on the contracts. A one fight deal would be great but dont expect a title fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

Dana White has said if he signs Fedor he is automatically the #1 contender, so yeah, I would expect a title fight. I know he wouldn’t sign him to a one fight deal, I just wish he would so we could at least see him in the UFC once

• fanoftna33 says:

I think we all wish that. All these close calls are wearing on the nerves though.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m with you. All the drama this week has been wearing me out. Tito, Vitor possibly back in the UFC, the death of Affliction….. you name it. Been a fun but stressful week to be an MMA fan.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is without a doubt the craziest week ever. But come july 31st Dana has a press conference so who knows we may just get shocked again. Seriously if dana announces a signing of Fedor that will be as good as it can ever get as a fan.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dana has always said in this business you never say never and he eas brought back some guys after crazy stuff, Penn, J T Money and now Ortiz. I guess it is possiable to see Fedor soon.

• cocoonofhorror says:

sick of all the BS. save all the Finklestien articles until after Fedor signs, other than thAT im over hearing about him. same with Dana on this issue.

• fanoftna33 says:

fedor siging with the ufc news is now like the boy who creid wolf.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ozz wtf! The UFC must cross promote!!!!!!!! saying that they shouldn’t is crazy!!!! Here is a few match ups that we are missing out on
    Fedor vs Lesnar ( or anyone! )
    Overeem vs Valasquez
    Mousassi vs A.Silva
    Diaz vs GSP
    Aoki vs Penn
    JZ vs Florian
    Thomson vs Sanchez
    Hansen vs …? ( sorry run out of good UFC LWs, maybe Edgar?)
    Misaki vs Henderson (rematch)
    And Santiago, Rogers, Aleksander, Lindland, Sakurai, Kharitonov, Manouf, Jacre, Werdum, Lawler, Gomi, Miller, Arlovski, Sylvia, Monson, Babalu, Filho, Arona, Little Nog, Barnett, Diaz and Villasenor amongst many, MANY others.

And ozz will it eat Fedor or the fighters that know they never got to face the best (because of restrictive UFC contracts) more, that counts for A. Silva too, the guy has defended his title against guys like Lutter, Laites and Cote when there are guys such as Santiago, Misaki, Lawler, Mousassi, Lindland, Smith, Rua and Belfort out there. BJ Penn may never face JZ, Hansen, Thomson, Aoki, Sakurai or have a rematch with Gomi. Stikeforce, Dream, Affliction, M1 and many others cross promoted! but the UFC is a greedy, money hungry promotion that has destroyed fighters careers and more than a few other organizations to get where they are. So yeah well done as far as making money goes Dana and the UFC but I also know you are just a brand name and the fights and fighters are what I really want to see and the UFC is just standing in the way time after time. No loyalty here!

• fanoftna33 says:

glad to hear someone agree with me, some outstanding points logic.

• Jak says:

If they can’t get something done for long term or title fight, they should at least do a one fight deal to fight Couture.

Money would be made, everybody would save face and no one would really lose. If Fedor/M-1 liked how it went they may sign longer. Probably the biggest risk would be if Couture pulled an upset.

Not that i think this idea would work, just throwing it out there that it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing situation. CroCop fought a can his first fight, Rampage, yup he did too and those were guys who had resisted the UFC. Couture isn’t a can(obviously) but it was giving a highly hyped fighter a good fight to test out the UFC.

or not… whatever. :)

• Jstew3785 says:

I wish they would cross-promote, but it will probably never happen. It’s like the ultimate pissing match between them. This is definitely one topic we could debate on all night. Everyone has valid points, but unfortunately they don’t listen to the fans or it would have already happened.

• fanoftna33 says:

it all comes down to money.

• fanoftna33 says:

If another fighter comes in and tears apart a ufc fighter they look bad, the same with other promotions, they dont want to lose there fighters star power. Imagine if gsp gets to fight shields in strikeforce, which i would love to see by the way, and gsp goes down like lawler did. The ufc loses one of there top draws in there eyes. Now we hardcore fans will not care we are just glad to see the fight but to casual fans it might lose them ppv buys. thats what it comes down to .

• Patrickk says:

Basically on July 31st when they have the press conference, Dana White is going to say, “We’d like to welcome our newest fighter into the UFC. Fedor Emelianenko ladies and gentlemen!”

This IS the perfect opportunity to get Fedor. If they do not get him now, Strikeforce will get him and they will cling onto him and pay him $2 million per fight just to keep him away from the UFC.

Dana White, swallow a wee bit of pride and let Fedor have a little bit more freedom on his contract so he can sign.

I wanna see Brock get demolished!

• mattman says:

If there is any contract negotiations Dana should talk about in the media it’s the contract negotiations with Fedor’s manager Vadim. Dana can win the battle of public opinion if those contract negotiations play out in MMA media landscape.

I noticed there is a post by MMA-LOGIC above. Now I could be wrong on this but that doesn’t sound like the MMALOGIC I have seen post other places. Anyway that post doesn’t make any sense to me. Just saying the UFC must cross promote so we can see all those fights is short sighted. That is simply fantasy land match-up make believe and blaming the UFC because your fantasy match-ups can’t come true.

• mu_shin says:

Wake up a smell the dollars folks. No surprise to anyone, but the object of any business, such as Zuffa, is to return a profit to it’s investors. In case anyone missed it, figures released earlier this week reported PPV sales of UFC 100 topped 1.5 million. Elementary math: $60 million dollars from one event qualifies as success.

Sixty million without Fedor and Finkelchtein, without co-promoting with M1-Global, and without being dictated to by a bunch of Russian mob guys as to how a successful promotion should be run. Any of you guys see any photos of Fedor’s brother Alexander any time recently? Ever watch any of those documentaries detailing the jail tattoos favored by Russian mob guys? Ever think what it might be that these Russian “business advisors” hold over Fedor’s head to keep him in line? Maybe I’ve watched too many movies…

I’m a fan just like all the posters here, and want to see Lesnar/Emelianenko because I enjoy MMA and think it would be a great fight. Until Fedor takes personal responsibility for his career moves, pushes past the influence of Vadim Finkelchtein and speaks for himself, we’ll never see it. I recently saw Fedor in a video interview say he’d like to fight Brock, but in the next breath he said he would not negotiate with the UFC. That was before the current Barnett/Affliction fiasco, but until Fedor steps up and says he cares about fighting the best and giving the fans what he knows they want to see, all we’ll see and hear is more excuses and blathering from mouth pieces like Mr. Finkelchtein.

• dpk says:

mu_shin: exactly, UFC has no reason at all to cross promote. The only weight class out there that they don’t have the number 1 fighter is HW, and even in that case they have the best HW division of any organization out there. UFC has offered Fedor $1.5 mil a fight, with the standard contract that every other fighter in UFC signs, if that ain’t good enough, then go fight Zulu again over in Japan, I won’t be watching. Strikeforce isn’t going to give Fedor this kind of money, because Coker knows that Fedor isn’t a big time draw, and he doesn’t do stupid business deals.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

WOW!! This Thread got insane while I was staring at the back of my eyelids!

DPK, MU_SHIN, Great posts. Completely agree with mu_shin about why the hell would they HAVE to cross promote?

The UFC will NOT be anyones crutch!!

Jak has a good point about Fedor and a one fight deal. The only problem is you have a 30-1 Heavyweight title holder that needs to fight for a title. You couldn’t just bring him in to fight Randy, even though that’s the fight I want to see.

Hate me for saying this, but Brock would STEAMROLL Fedor. Let the Hate Bombs ensue–

cocoonofhorror, I am with you. Sick of hearing about F’ing Fedor. It’s not him that’s the problem though, it’s his management. I have to remind myself that.

MMA-LOGIC, I have to admit I was a bit taken back by your post. I just don’t see the “LOGIC” (no pun intended) in the UFC being anyones CRUTCH for revenue. If those fighters want to be recognized, if they want the cash and the sponsorships, the name recognition, if they want to be part of an organization that isn’t going anywhere if they lose a fighter due to a drug test, then they need to fight in the UFC. Bottom line.

Yeah, we as fans want to asee those fights you mentioned. Hell,I DO. But it’s nothing more than a pipe-dream at this point.

• fanoftna33 says:

Cross promotion has always bee a fans dream, but it has worked, although for two very recently dead companies. I think its just that as fans we always will wish for these types of fights. Just 1 supercard a year.

• Angry Mike says:

Zuffa would have to be crazy to get into a long term business deal with M-1. Can you imagine the heartburn Finkelchtein would cause White and the Fertitas? VD looks good by comparison.

• fanoftna33 says:

They would not do that ever. Even Fedor is not worth a long term deal, but 1 fight, maybe.

• notdanawhite says:

same ol stuff…fedor is not known to mainstream fans. the UFC really doesn’t need Fedor. and that stuff about “the best fighting the best” is bullshit. ufc is a business, it’s that simple.

but it would be sweet if they could arrange a reasonable multi fight contract so the UFC marketing machine could do their thing and make him a star.

• fanoftna33 says:

Make him a bigger star. It would only take 1 fight in the ufc for that.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I agree about the UFC being a business, but they are a 2 billion dollar corporation. Sooner or later they are going to have to focus on what the fans want b/c eventually, there will be nowhere else for them to go / grow.

• fanoftna33 says:

The ufc is exapanding so much right now that I would love to see a series of friday night fights, like boxing where they can bring up new stars. We would be able to see these guys develop before being thrown if with the top guys. Just Imagine if they gave Brock 6 or 7 fights brfore he got to the ufc, or what Bobby lashly will look like with 4 or 5 more tough fights. Except we could see these guys weekly.

• tkvan6 says:

He didn’t even do it for Cro Cop? Wow, you all must obviously not know who Fedor is. Everyone loves it when a person from another affiliation, for instance pride, and the UFC fighter kicks their ass. I also am a fan of this. That is not going to happen with Fedor. He will dominate anyone in the UFC. Including Lesnar! Also, White had something to do with what the UFC has become today. When did you start watching the program. White receives entirely to much credit for the work he does.