Junior dos Santos looking to knock Cro Cop senseless at UFC 103

junior dos santosJunior dos Santos exploded onto the scene in the UFC as an unknown commodity back in October of 2008 when he left the highly regarded Fabricio Werdum in a bloody heap, collapsed from a broken nose in the first round at UFC 90.

The heavy handed Brazilian followed up the biggest win up until that point in his career with another knockout in the Octagon, this time over Stefan Struve at UFC 95, and is now poised to throw down in the most pivotal and relevant battle of his life when he faces off with Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 103 on September 19.

According to dos Santos in a recent interview with Tatame.com, there’s not a doubt in his mind as to what his intentions will be the next time he steps into the cage; he’s looking to tuck Cro Cop in for the night as early as possible. Business as usual for the 25 year old Brazilian heavyweight kickboxing champion.

“I train a lot of Boxing, I like the striking a lot and I’ll go after another knockout,” confessed dos Santos. “What I want is the knockout. I’m training a lot of ground, a lot of Wrestling. This guy is dangerous standing, but I’m going after the knockout, as always. With the opportunity, I’ll show my ground too”

“Cigano” has no illusions as to the ultimate significance of his next bout. Mirko is recognized all around the world and an impressive win over him can do wonders for your career, just ask Gabriel Gonzaga.

“I’m facing it as a very good opportunity in my life,” said dos Santos. “Cro Cop is a guy that, if you talk about MMA, you know who he is. He’s very dangerous and famous, if not the most dangerous man in the MMA. I’m very happy with the change of opponent, this is an incredible opportunity.”

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This is going to be a good fight. Neither one will want to go to the ground. Cro Cop is looking to legitimize himself after the “Al Turk” incident, let alone all the hoop-la that started afterwards. Dos Santos on the other hand is trying to remain in contention. I like this match up

• fanoftna33 says:

cro cop looked good against al turk and i have said it befor dos santos can either make a hugh name for himself now, or become the next Houston Alexander. Personally I want to see Cro Cop win this.

• dpk says:

A win here would give Dos Santos 2 high profile wins in 3 UFC fights. I think he could be matched up with Mir or Gonzaga for a title shot if he win this, and they win their next fights. I think he will win this fight, but both guys have the same strengths so it should be interesting. I’m guessing the KO of the night could definitely come out of this one.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope its not a repeat of cro cop vs kongo.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Cro Cop is going to set it up with a left jab. Then Cro Cop says “Smell it… smell it… now take it. That’s good for you”

• Angry Mike says:

dos Santos’ win over Werdum doesn’t suggest the outcome of the fight with Cro Cop. Werdum’s a better BJJ fighter than a striker. Going toe to toe with Cro Cop doesn’t seem like a good strategy. Cro Cop is still dangerous and is way more experienced. I wouldn’t be surprised by Cro Cop winning by ko.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mirko’s experience will win out here imo. he has almost 4x’s the fights plus all the k-1 experience he should come out on top.

• Rich S. says:

Angry Mike: “dos Santos’ win over Werdum doesn’t suggest the outcome of the fight with Cro Cop.”

Maybe not, but he did the same thing to Stefan Struve in LESS time.. I don’t care who you are, that suggests that he has heavy hands..

None of his recorded fights have left the 1st round.. He has some serious power..

I’m rooting for Cro Cop, I want to see him fight for the title soon.. But he better keep his hands up and wait to sneak those strikes in (which he’s normally pretty good at doing).. Dos Santos is a pitbull, if he gets the slightest inclination that Cro Cop is hurt, he’s going to be all over him..

• fanoftna33 says:

We will see how Dos Santos’ chin holds up I think maybe i am pulling for the first ever ufc double ko.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Like Rich S said, I too don’t really see this going past the first round.

• fanoftna33 says:

We might get to see if Dos Santos has much of a groung game in this fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I can’t see how it would get to the ground though. I mean he’s only a purple belt in BJJ, and his background is KICKBOXING!!

Nobody is taking anyone down in this fight, sorry

• fanoftna33 says:

He does train with the Nogiera brothers, and if he gets in to trouble I could see some takedown attemots, espacially after tasting Mirkos power. If you need a blue print of how to beat Mirko look at the Gonzaga fight, before the ko, he was getting crushed.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope for a stand up fight though.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Doesn’t look like Nog got ANYWHERE against Mir though, does it. Superior stand up won that fight, quite handily too. Mirko has been doing this long enough to have a formidable game plan that will at LEAST nagate any take downs

• fanoftna33 says:

Lets see how nog fights when he is not sick. Although Mirs stand up looks great, befor Brock took him down mir was rocking him.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOLOLOL…. ROCKING him? What fight were you watching? He got a jumping knee in, thats all I saw. Then it was nothing but holding him in a schoolyard headlock and watching him eat leather to the point I thought his neck was going to break.

I’ll give you the point about Nog being sick. TRUE to the utmost. Staph is some crazy sh!t, trust me.

All seriousness though, I don’t have any idea what you saw, but the only time Brock got “rocked” was the knee, and even then it didn’t stop him

• fanoftna33 says:

When brock was coming out in roud 2, he wanted to stand with mir, even after the first take down, he let mir back up but as soon as mir came at him and caught him with the right and knee brock took him down fast. It looked to me like he wanted none of that.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Yeah, let me say about the above post I wasn’t trying to sound like a dick. Sorry if it came off that way.

It looked to me like…. Damn. this is getting way off subject now, LOL. I almost forgot what this thread is even about…

Mirko, Rd 2

• fanoftna33 says:

Its cool oz we all see the fights different. I really hope Mirko takes this one impressivly ko 1.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would not mind seeing cro cop get a chance at gonzaga again.

• Jstew3785 says:

Cro Cop by mounted gogoplata. Seriously though, Cro Cop KO 1st round

• fanoftna33 says:

cro cop looked so good before the eye poke in his last fight. If a very motivated, and healthy cro cop is back that spells trouble for a lot of heavyweights.

• Patrickk says:

I’ve never liked Cro Cop, and never will. He just doesn’t have what it takes to become a champ; especially in the UFC. And plus, I don’t like his tiny shorts, lmao!

But yeah, Dos Santos IS going to knock him senseless and take a beating. And then he’s gonna whine to Dana to release his contract so he can go back overseas.

• fanoftna33 says:

no way cro cop loses to dos santos like that.

• Angry Mike says:

It could be a great fight, and it’ll definitely be a gut check for Cro Cop. Does he still have the will to fight, or is he just mailing it in? Also, the subtext of this match up is that Cro Cop may be a gatekeeper, especially if he loses.

• fanoftna33 says:

If he loses then yes he will be in gatekeeper status, but what a gatekeeper he would be.