Wanderlei Silva vs. Michael Bisping Not a Certainty for UFC 105 (UPDATE)

Update: A representative for Wanderlei Silva is quoted in a new report by Fighters Only as saying a formal offer has not been extended by the UFC and that Silva’s preference is to sit out until February in order to allow his body time to heal.

Wanderlei Silva (32-10-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) has discussed moving down to the middleweight division for a while now. Apparently, the MMA legend’s first fight at 185 pounds will come at UFC 105 in Manchester, England against Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC).

Silva is currently in negotiations to face Bisping in the main event of the Spike TV-broadcast event according to a recent report on MMAJunkie.com.

UFC officials are hoping to officially announce the contest as soon as next week.

If the fight takes place it will be Silva’s first in the middleweight division after spending most of his career weighing 200 pounds or more.

In June, Silva dropped down to 195 pounds when he met Rich Franklin in a catchweight bout. Silva lost a unanimous decision to Franklin in what most MMA fans considered an entertaining fight between the two veterans.

Silva remains wildly popular with fans but he’s now 33-years of age and he’s only recorded one win (Keith Jardine) in his last six fights.

Bisping returns to his home country of England where he will be looking to rebound from a vicious knockout loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100. The loss to Henderson was just the second defeat of Bisping’s MMA career.

UFC 105 takes place at Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England. The card airs in the U.S. on same-day tape delay.

• Patrickk says:

You’re kidding me, right?

Bisping wants to get knocked out again apparently.

He’s not in the same league, and he’s just a cash crop for the England MMA fan base.

…Pretty lame if you ask me. I can’t wait to see him get beat to a pulp!

• shotokai_ says:

“Why is he trying to fight with the top dogs all of a sudden? He had a split decision lost against Rashad Evans and all of a sudden he thinks he can be champ right now.”

Which fighters don’t want to fight the best in the world? How can they prove themselves or test their skills if they don’t? They shouldn’t be in the game if they’re only interested in fighting gatekeepers. Stupid statement to make.

I actually think Bisping would beat Wand, as much as I. His game has gone from being an dangerous technical striker to a well-seasoned slugger. The fighters that are going to get caught by him, and therefore lose to him, are those that stand in front of him and bang i.e. Keith Sardine. Technically solid strikers that stay on the outside will outpoint him at this point in his career i.e. Franklin, Liddell. Obviously, he could catch Bisping, but I don’t think he will. Bisping by decision, if it even happens.

• shotokai_ says:

“I actually think Bisping would beat Wand, as much as I”..
    was meant to be
    “I actually think Bisping would beat Wand, as much as I would love Wand to smash him.”

• Jstew3785 says:

Shotokai, as much as I don’t want you to be, you could be right. The only problem I see is that Bisping has no power. He couldn’t bust a grape (Rampage). Wandi could come rushing in and there’s no way Bisping would knock him out. So the likelihood of Wandi catching him increases greatly. Bisping definitely could stand back and outpoint him though. Wandi did catch Franklin good in the second round, a shot that probably would have KO’d Bisping. I hope it does happen

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Have to agree with Jstew3785 on this one

That battle with Franklin was back and forth; absolutely great fight. Silva can take the punishment. Yeah, he got caught by Jackson, but let’s not forget the ass whippings (x2) that Wanderlei handed him in Pride.

He went toe-to-toe with Chuck Liddell, whom he rocked, and got rocked by. Another EPIC battle. I don’t see Bisping having a chance. If he was skiddish against Hendo, how the Hell do you think he will react to Wandy!

• fanoftna33 says:

I am not a Bisping fan but this could be just what he needs after the Henderson fight. If he can go three rounds with Wanderli win or lose he is right back in the game. We all know how hard Henderson hit but Wanderli is called the axe murderer for a reason. I respect the fact that Bisping wants to fight someone like this next, perhaps that k o is a good thing for him.

• redwire says:

“…one win (Keith Jardine) in his last six fights.”

Wow. I hadn’t realized that he was on that bad of a slide. The thing with Wand is that he is always in the fight. Other than the Rampage bout, most of his big tilts could have went either way.

• shotokai_ says:

Agreed, Jstew, Bisping has f*ck all power. But then I don’t think he’ll need any. There is no doubt that Wand will come rushing at him, but if Bisping can avoid getting caught in the first 2 rounds I think he will win the fight by decision. Wand loses power in the last round anyway, and in his cut to 195 he looked noticeably gassed from the end of the second.
    Ozz a few things. To call Wand the same Wand that KO’d Rampage in Pride is silly and conversely to call Rampage the same Rampage that got KO’d is silly. If those two were to fight another 10 times, I’d honestly pick Rampage every time – the point being those two fights have little relevance to anything now, imo. He did go toe-to-toe with Chuck Liddell, which is commendable, but he lost the fight clearly. I don’t even remember him rocking Liddell; I remember Liddell slipped over twice and it appeared that he had eaten a punch when in fact he hadn’t. The only thing that fight says to me is that if you stay out of Wand’s immediate range, and don’t brawl, he is beatable even by a fighter like Bisping – despite Wand being the more talented fighter, arguably but in my opinion, and having way more experience. Once again to compare Bispings “skiddish”-ness against Hendo to anything he will experience against Wand is disputable, really. Hendo knocked Wand the f*ck out last time they fought, and, as I’ve already alluded to, Wand is simply not the same wrecking machine he was in Pride. Bisping could get knocked out in the opening minute of the fight, and I’d love it, but if I were to place a bet I’d go with Bisping by an annoying decision.

• fanoftna33 says:

I just realized that people always talk about how good a all around fighter Wanderli is all the time, but he mainly brawls to please the crowd. People love this guy for that reason(me included), but if I throw out another name (Jorge Gurgel) people always say how bad it is that he does not use all of his skill in fights. Its funny to see some fighters get lots of press for having a big heart and slugging it out, while others get put down for slugging it out.

• Jstew3785 says:

Let Gurgel start knocking some people out and then we can talk.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Great points Shotokai, great

Reluctantly, and this is hard for me, as Wand is my favorite fighter, I have to agree with a lot of them.

However, (this is tit for tat) he did rock Liddell. They even showed it in the Previews before he fought Franklin.

I agree with him not being the same fighter. I can only hope that the fire comes back. We saw a glimpse of it against Jardine, and for the Hell of it, I believe if he had his head shaved for the Liddell fight he might have taken it, LOL!

If you stay out of his range, yes, you can beat him. That can be said about any brawler. Look at the strategy Jardine used against a counter-striker in Chuck. The ground though would be interesting, as he does have a BJJ Black.

As for 3 rounds…. NO WAY. I couldn’t ever in my wildest dreams see that fight going that late. As said before though, GREAT points

• ThePerfectDrug says:

Let’s be real if this DOES happen it’s pretty much make or break for Bisping who is now 0-2 against the upper echelon of the UFC. And I think Silva has won 1 bout out of his last 6? I mean I love watching Silva and I Wouldn’t bet against him given both men’s style and bispings lack of power and ability to listen to his corner IE Stop circling into Dan Henderson’s powerful right…