Guess who’s back? Dana White welcomes Tito Ortiz back to the UFC

danawhiteAffliction Trilogy canceled; Affliction shuts down as a fight promotion and becomes official sponsor for UFC; and now……

It’s looking as if former UFC champion Tito Ortiz could be on the verge of a return to the Octagon.

“The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” has recently been welcomed back to the UFC with open arms by former friend and enemy, Dana White.

The UFC president had this to say earlier via his Twitter account, “I am going on espn 1100 in vegas at 6pm. I will be talking anything mma. Call in number is 702 364 1100! Oh yea and welcome back tito :)”.

While no official word is out about the signing of Ortiz, obviously the word will be coming down shortly.

Earlier this week Five Ounces had reported on the fact that Dana and Tito had met amends, but at the time White was quoted on his Twitter account as saying, “Doesn’t mean he’s back. It means we aren’t smashing each other anymore and we don’t hate each other.”

You can scratch that, as the recent comments from Dana definitely show that Ortiz is back.

Ortiz has fought 21 of his career 22 bouts in the Octagon.

Stay tuned to FiveOuncesOfPain.com as we continue to keep you up to date on this late breaking news, along with any word on a possible first opponent for Tito.

UPDATE: The UFC President backed off his Tito Tweet a little on the radio show.  He said bringing Ortiz back was a “possibility”. Dana also mentioned the former UFC light heavyweight champion’s back issue, but expressed that he felt Tito could still compete.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

BAM, POW!! Welcome back Tito! I think this is great news, myself. Always been a fan. (I’ll be expecting my chastizing now, edub, sergio)

• ThePerfectDrug says:

I for one am just glad to see Tito is competing again let alone in the UFC, it should definitely add some further spice in the LHW division making it that much more stacked….OOOOOH the possibilities…. 😀

• Rich S. says:

H-o-l-y Crap..

Today has been insane..

I’ve never really hated Tito.. He’s annoying at times, but I love the dude.. good news :)

• canuck says:

this is a bit sad – it’s been years since Tito cleanly won a fight against a top tier athlete. Ken Shamrock wasn’t a top tier athlete when Tito beat him, Griffin was a controversial split decision. that means his last clean win was Vitor Belfort at ufc 51 in 2005.
    hopefully he really is in shape, he’s got a lot to prove.

• edub says:

Belfort was a split to wasnt it.

• fanoftna33 says:

I did not think anything else could surprise me today, but I was wrong. Acually I would rather see Tito in Strikrforce, but this is pretty cool also. Is it me or does this remind anybody of the UFC’s April fools day surprise to everybody. I am also a fan of Tito(after his stint on TUF) and hope the time off and sugury will help him be a even better fighter.

• Patrickk says:

The next thing I am waiting for is “Oh yeah, and Fedor is now officially a UFC fighter’.

Man! All of this controversy, it started off bad, but now it’s getting better!

Josh Barnett, you failing your drug test was a blessing in disguise for the sport of MMA!

• fanoftna33 says:

The Belfort fight was a split decision, he also had the draw vs Rashad, and would have won if he hadnt been penalized a point for grabbing the fence. I really liked the chock he put on Rashad at the end of round 2, man that was tight. I would really like to see Franklin beat Henderson then fight Tito for the #1 spot.

• redwire says:

I’m telling ya, the Hendo/Franklin bout is just a placeholder. One of them is going to fight Tito, and the other Vitor when he gets signed.

At first I thought this was just wishful thinking on my part because I didn’t really care for the Hendo/Franklin rematch this soon, but now I’m starting to wonder if I’m on to something.

• metalmulisha says:

edub yeah you’re the Ortiz/Belfort fight was a split decision. Personally I thought Belfort won the first and second rounds, but whatever.

Oh and Patrickk who said “Josh Barnett, you failing your drug test was a blessing in disguise for the sport of MMA.”

I don’t know about you, but as an mma fan seeing the best fight card of the year go up in smoke a week before the event is hardly a blessing.

• metalmulisha says:

edub you’re right is what I was saying above. That’s what i get for hitting submit before reading my post.

• Jstew3785 says:

You have got to be kidding me!!!! This is nucking futs!!! Today has been the most eventful day in MMA ever! Redwire, I think you’re right about 103 and Vitor Belfort. At least, I hope you are. I still can’t believe this.
    Again…. I will ask….. WHERE YOU AT PLAGUEANGEL?????!!!!!

• edub says:

Yea i figd Mulisha.

Crazy day.

• fanoftna33 says:

I cant remember to many other weeks like this one, for mma. Maybe the couple of days after Fitch got fired and rehired but thats as close as I can figure. When Elite xc folded it was a slow death type of thing, this has been so quick. I really like how Atencio didnt leave us hanging on this. Do you thibk there is a possiabilty of seeing Tom fight in the WEC. If they put him in there that would be so cool, think back(wrestling fans) to when the wwf bought the wcw and got eric bischoff to fight Austin except this is real.

• redness says:

Back where he belongs now go get fedor and Victor..

• BillyWarhol says:

Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddell!! Let’s Get It On!!!

• PlagueAngel says:

The day began with a downer and now the shock around the world. I’m a little excited to see Ortiz back because he has a lot to prove. Hopefully he doesn’t come in California cocky because he needs to prove his worth to a lot of fans. I know he did a lot four years ago, but the last three years have been rough for the badboy. I don’t like the guy, but I don’t wish urine in his morning oatmeal.

• sides666 says:

fedor vs brock, i personally want to see brock get smashed oh yeah and who cares about tito he is over the hill and has been for years hopefully he trains real hard for his next bout.

• PlagueAngel says:

Reading through all of the comments I’m finding that some of you think that Ortiz is going to be an immediate contender. Some of you also think he is close to being number one contender which is interesting(aka insane). The guy has not won a fight in 34 months. We need to get a reality check once and for all about the badboy of California. I believe that Ortiz has the most to prove out of anyone in the UFC that he is not washed up and finished. We need to get some perspective on Tito Ortiz today, not UFC 51. Its back to the drawing board for Ortiz and he needs to knock down some easier wins ASAP.

• fanoftna33 says:

Tito did not lokk to bad in his last fight, he acually came closer than anybody to date to beating Machida. If his surgury really did help this could be the olld Ortiz.

• dpk says:

Redwire – you might be on to something. Tito v Franklin and Hendo v Belfort for a title shot would be some big time main events.

• PlagueAngel says:

Check out his twitter page. The guy just starting boxing for the first time in a year. If you read his writing he is so wrapped up in himself and hollywood. He needs to think less of his image and a championship run and JUST WIN BABY! I thought Tito looked awful against Machida. In three rounds he amounted to a failed triangle. I don’t think he landed a single punch to Machida. He was embarrassed against Machida. He also made 210k for his loss…which is interesting.

• metalmulisha says:

dpk “Tito v Franklin and Hendo v Belfort for a title shot would be some big time main events.”

I couldn’t disagree more the first Belfort/Henderson fight was awful. Probably the worst fight of Vitor’s career Henderson like Couture is a horrible match up for Vitor, and I don’t understand why people want Tito/Franklin. Tito hasn’t fought in a year and a half, hasn’t won since 2006, has been written off as washed up by Dana among others and is coming of major back surgery, and people want his first fight back against Franklin who’s a contender at 205?
    I’d much rather see a Belfort/Franklin fight which would be outstanding IMO and see Tito fight someone at 205 like Mark Coleman just to see how much he has left.

• s00nertp says:

RIch said it perfectly:
    “H-o-l-y Crap.. Today has been insane..”

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t know about him looking like CRAP against Machida. Hell, I think everyone looks like crap against Machida. You could see he was visibly frustrated though; Shooting, getting stuffed (or ran from) and getting pissed and slapping the mat.

Completely agree with Fan on this one. He may not have beaten Machida, but he did go all 3 rounds, didn’t really get close to getting finished, well maybe the knee, but he has looked better than anyone else has against Lyoto.

Jesus, you guys write him off like he had a Mir accident. Guys, it was back surgery. He’s even said his back feels better than ever now. Personally, I got faith in the guy that he’s NOT done. I do believe he’ll make another run at the title. Hey, crazier shit HAS happened….

• Jstew3785 says:

I’ve been thinking of a potential opponent for Tito’s first fight. He definitely should not automatically be a contender right away, he needs to prove himself. I say he should fight Houston Alexander first. They are both coming off of injuries and have a lot to prove. A victory over Houston might not do much for Tito, but it would shake off the ring rust and get him back in the swing of things. If he loses, then they know right away if Tito is really “back” or not. Just a thought guys, let me know what you think.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Personally, I think that’s a great idea. I’ve seen posted here and elsewhere that people think he should fight Belfort, Hendo, Franklin, or Wandy II.

Only one person is even in his weight class though, and that would be franklin. I actually think those two would be a great match-up skill wise, but definately no the first fight I’d like to see tito take.

Jstew3785 brings up an intriguing idea with Alexander though. I like Alexander though b/c he fights to support his kids and all. I would hate to see him get walking papers if he loses.

• Jstew3785 says:

Thanks Ozz. I really did put a lot of thought into that and it just makes sense to me. If he wins, which on paper he should, then give him Franklin or a top 10 opponent next.

• lemonheadzzz says:

UFC should come up with a separate promotion for the old timers like golf does. Guys such as Franklin, Tito, Chuck, Randy with no legit shot at any belt. Let them fight each other so they don’t get ktfo by the younger guys.

• lemon, that’s great in theory but in practice, it’ll lead to all sorts of trouble.

How are you gonna tell a relatively young guy like Franklin that he needs to fight older dudes and won’t ever get a title shot?

I mean, in his last two fights, he BARELY lost against Hendo who everyone is clamoring to get a MW title shot now and decisively beat Wandy at a weight Rich is no longer comfortable fighting at.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

It’s kinda like what Severn talked about before, like a “Gladiator Class.” Those of you that know you’re way to old to go after the title, but still want to compete. Severn, Frye, Shamrock(s) etc…

Hey, how cool would it be to see Keith Hackney come back out of retirement and lay down a good old fashioned UFC 3 Beatdown!! I’d piss myself!

• Well, there’s a difference between guys who KNOW they’re too old to hang with the younger, better guys and those who think they still can.

I.E. Don Frye throwing his name in to take on Fedor. I mean, I like Frye as much as the next guy… Ultimate Ultimate ’96 is still my favorite old school UFC event BECAUSE of that mustached sonuvagun but him fighting Fedor could have… no, WOULD have resulted in MMA’s first in-ring death.

And the other two guys… Severn and Shamrock? I’d rather shove needles in my eyes than see those two tangle again. Especially 15 years after they bored me into a coma the first time.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

OK, maybe you’re right. But no comment on the Keith Hackney? Hell, I thought it was great…..

• fanoftna33 says:

Hackney was great, I was so disapointed after the loss to Ruas though. Remember how good Pat Smith would look? If we did get this master class I want to see a rematch between Oleg Taktarov and Marco Ruas, that was ( at the time) one of the toughest fights to call.

• fanoftna33 says:

I always liked Steve Jennum also, he never really got much press but his fight with Melton Bowen really showed how effective a well rounded fighter (not a pure grappler like Royce) couled be against a top level boxer. That was a classic Bowen never stopped throwing punches and Jennum never stopped working.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I had Taktarov in that fight, especially after the shot to the mouth. Ruas was very timid after that. A lot of people don’t know this, but Taktarov actually got dominated by Ruas after this fight in Vale Tudo

• fanoftna33 says:

Oleg lost but they had a agreement to stand up that fight, obviously in Ruas’s favor, to try and get the ufc to sign them for a third fight. Remember when oleg had Marco in that chock and big john stood them up, craziest stand up iI have ever seen. I also loved Tank’s comment after the losing to severn that he had a bad dream of Freddie Mercury(my favroit singer by the way) on top of him for 18 min.

• Alright… Hackney would be great.

There, I admitted it.

• fanoftna33 says:

awesome Sergio.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I knew you had it in you…

• fanoftna33 says:

I think that of the old tournaments the ufc had #4 revenge of the warrior was the best. You had Joe Son Kimo’s trainor, Hackney vs Gracie was great, the debut of Severn, a great final with Dan ad Royce, and the tension of looking to see Royce vs Junnum( never happened but man was I hoping).

• Angry Mike says:

Tito’s irrelevant except for the publicity his name still generates. Even if he’s fully re-habbed, his best days are behind him because MMA has evolved. His gnp style is too one-dimensional. His striking isn’t that great, and he’s never shown much in the way submissions. I predict he’ll be the next Cro Cop if UFC signs him.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

You know, you could say the same exact thing about Brock if you Replaced the first word in the post with his…..

I’m just saying. I think Tito will come back with fire and ready to prove something.

• fanoftna33 says:

Tito’s striking reminds me a lot os Sherk’s striking, pretty sound technique but the power just isnt there, hopefully his wrestling is back in top form.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Hopefully he has time to lift and get that power in his year off. If he had power with the technique he had, he would be a formidable foe, to say the least. I just can’t count the guy out.

• fanoftna33 says:

Like I said earlier he really showed some mental toughness against machida in his last fight, i dont know how much strength he will have in his first fight back, but hopefully he does not rush back when his body is not ready. Remember when Evan Tanner came back, different type of layoff sure, but he said afterward that his body just wasnt ready. His second fight he looked much better. I just dont want to see Tito come back chasing a good payday and not really be 100%