Dana White: ‘We are excited about the return of Affliction to the UFC’

danaAs was reported earlier this afternoon, Affliction Clothing and the Ultimate Fighting Championship will be joining forces; effective immediately.

This evening the two super-companies made the announcement official through a press release issued to FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

“We are excited about the return of Affliction to the UFC and look forward to seeing our fighters once again walk into the Octagon wearing the Affliction brands,” said UFC President Dana White in the recently released statement. “Affliction is an innovator of mixing fashion with this sport and we are looking forward to working together to promote the sport.”

While the representatives from Affliction stopped short of confirming earlier reports that the company had agreed to cease promoting mixed martial arts events in the future in order to once again become a UFC sponsor, they did report that an agreement had been met that both sides were happy with.

“Our brand is synonymous with the “Live Fast” approach to life and UFC is the perfect venue for us to market our brand,” explained the Co-Founder of Affliction, Eric Foss. “We have come to an agreement with the UFC which we feel will be the best for the sport and will help the UFC continue delivering the highest caliber of fights.”

Stay glued to Five Ounces as we continue to keep you up to date on the latest developments between the UFC and Affliction in the coming days.

• sides666 says:

this is good news for mma fans i very much hope that these two organizations come to terms that will see the affliction mma fade and the rise or fall of fedor in the ufc.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dana said he was going to do everything he could to get Fedor, this may be just the begining.

• s00nertp says:

OMG!!!!!!! what is happennnnniiiing?!

• mac wilson says:

Great news because now Fedor, Babalou, Mousassi, and plenty of other great fighters may have no where left to hide from Dana White!

We may get some big signs in the upcoming days. Not to mention Tito….holy crap!

• PlagueAngel says:

All kinds of big news including Cheick Kongo vs Frank Mir at UFC 107. Can anyone say “submission”?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Hopefully the swelling has subsided in Mir’s face by that time…

I think this is a great day for MMA. Bridges are being rebuilt between 2 powerhouses, and maybe, FINALLY there will be direct talks with Fedor.

On another note, hopefully Tito comes back healthier than ever.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

You guys know anything about the press conference Dana is planning? He said somewhere around July 31st. Wonder if it’s going to be the announcement of Affliction fighter’s contracts accruement.

• Jstew3785 says:

I hope you’re right ozz. I would love to see some Affliction fighters in the UFC. Fedor, Belfort, Mousasi, Babalu, Horodecki, Arlovski, and hell, even Barnett. Barnett talks so much crap about the UFC, let him prove himself. I know Arlovski has been on a bit of a slide lately, but he wasn’t the #2 HW in the world for no reason. The dude has talent.
    This has been such an awesome week in MMA.

• TheHouse says:

Maybe Attenciano will get a nice fat fight contract from White……. hahaha thinking about it makes me laugh. (this is a completely sarcastic post and I hope no one takes it seriously)

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Yeah, it would be nice to see them in the UFC. However, it’s also not like it will be the first time they have been in the cage, LOL. Half of them have been there before. I do think it would broaden the horizons though for future fight nights, televised cards, and maybe PPV’s more often.

Agreed though on a crazy, roller coaster like week for MMA

• PlagueAngel says:

You guys are talking like everything is perfect, but a lot of these fighters will not fight in the UFC. I wouldn’t be surprised to find 75% of the fighters listed in Affliction not competing in the UFC. If you read the fineprint, its a maybe for the badboy. The guy is just working out for the first time in a few years and training will take some time. From what it sounds like, he was not keeping the rust off because his back surgery was tough on the California badboy.

• dpk says:

Franklin just posted on his Twitter that his fight at 103 is off the UFC web-site and he isn’t sure why. I have a feeling that the main event is going to change.

Franklin v Tito
    Hendo v Belfort
    Coleman v Mousasi

If Santiago doesn’t have an existing Segoku contract he might be in the mix of fights as well.

Just some thoughts as to what might happen.

• impact1 says:

I’ll throw out another name that is not usually mentioned here, but I am anxious to see Chris Horodecki fight in either the UFC or WEC now with Aflliction out of the promotion picture. I’ve liked this kids since the IFL days but always wanted to see how he’d eventually fair against a Penn or GSP. Maybe he can start off with Hazelett, Condit, McCrory, Sadollah, Serra, Aurelio, Danzig, Griffin etc.

Must be something in the Canadian water that turns these Polish kids into tough fighters…

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Nobody is saying everything is perfect, by any means. A lot of guys got raked over the coals over all this.
    Tito’s only been out of the game a year, not a few, so I don’t think the rust will be that bad.
    I see the quality guys either going to UCF or Strikeforce. The rest will go where they go, but they will not “go away” and never be heard from again. Look at Cro Cop. After the “shit he pulled” we thought he would never be back or heard from again. Now he has a 3 fight contract.
    Bottom line, I see Ortiz coming back (Thats a prediction, not just off Dana’s post) and being just as good as he was when he was Champion. His back has been jacked for YEARS. If it’s “completely better” like he says, finally feels 100% like he says, I don’t see him losing anything 1 sided, I’ll tell you that.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Horodecki would make a great fit in the wec, at least for 3 or 4 fights, if he does well I definatly see him jumping into the ufc. The lightweight’s in the ufc are so good that a little moer experience for Chris would be great.

• dpk says:

I thought that the Horodrecki v Lauzon winner would get a UFC contract, so why not bring them both in and let them fight. Both guys would also be good for WEC, but I have a feeling that you will see them in UFC first because they both have some name value from Lauzon’s brother, and his first stint in UFC, and Horodrecki from his IFL days.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Horodecki would make the better fighter in the ufc.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

DPK,

I just saw your post about Franklin being off 103. That IS interesting, to say the least. I wonder when it happened. Previous 24 hrs? I think we’re all about to get rocked by some crazy news.

I don’t however, think Tito should fight franklin on his first fight back. I wouldn’t call that protecting a fighter either, its just common sense. Franklin just EDGED, and I mean barely, beat a very game Wanderlei Silva. Tito has been off for an entire year. I don’t see the logic.

• Angry Mike says:

There are lots of unknowns here. The announcement didn’t suggest that Affliction fighters would move to UFC. Right now it just looks like Affliction met UFC’s demand that apparel manufacturers pay UFC to have fighters wear their gear at UFC events.

Assuming that Affliction fighters moving to UFC was part of the deal, which fighters move from Affliction to UFC will depend on the terms of their Affliction contracts, if they even have them. If Affliction contracts don’t state that they’re assignable or transferable by Affliction, UFC will have to negotiate with them from ground zero.

• fanoftna33 says:

Franklin was very ready to fight henderson again, but he is a pro, he knows whats best for the sport comes first.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Good point. Either way though, I see it as more favorable for the UFC though. If they are transferrable, they will go to the UFC, you can guarentee it. Dana & Tom were great friends before all this…. If Dana swept everything under the rug, as with this I assume he has, I imagine they are great friends again, if not better, with a newfound respect for one another.

If they aren’t transferrable, then yes, the fighters & promotions will be competing for one another, and it get’s much more interesting. A lot more is sure to come out of the woodwork soon enough, I’m certain.

Always look forward to your dialogue, Angry Mike

• fanoftna33 says:

We know Fedor was a free agent after this fight. As for the rest of the fighters I think its a safe bet that most are free to go , that means no long court battles between promoters and agents like when elite xc folded. All of this has happened so fast I dont see it slowing down now.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

He still has obligations with M-1 though. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him make one more DREAM appearence, or maybe Strikeforce before he went to the UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder how long his contract withm-1 is?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Dana said their T-shirts suck and Tito was a has-been and now they are both back in the UFC!
    I hate this bullsh!t and prey for it’s end!.

• fanoftna33 says:

dana will say whatever makes the ufc look good. its just that usually he is right.

• MMA-LOGIC says: