Affliction to Cease Promoting MMA, Become Official UFC Sponsor

It appears as though Fedor Emelianenko may be one step closer to stepping into the Octagon, as a week already filled with strange news has taken another unexpected turn. Today’s earlier cancellation of “Affliction: Trilogy” caught many fans off-guard and created a great deal of concern regarding the organization’s future but few could have predicted the story’s next twist.

According to multiple sources including MMAWeekly and Yahoo Sports, and as confirmed by a representative of the UFC, Affliction has signed an agreement with the world’s leading Mixed Martial Arts company to act as an official sponsor of future events. The deal also includes a stipulation stating Affliction will cease operating as an independent fight promotion. A formal announcement is expected to made in the near future.

No word has been given on how the Mixed Martial Artists contracted to Affliction will be handled. Current fighters signed to the now-defunct promotion include Gegard Mousasi, Vitor Belfort, and of course the man who was expected to headline the “Trilogy” show – top ranked heavyweight Emelianenko.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope they get Mousasi, even though he stated he is happy not fighting in the ufc now.

• Jstew3785 says:

Let them all be free agents. Don’t keep them in limbo forever like Elite XC did.

• fanoftna33 says:

Fedor is already contracted to fight for M-1 so even with Affliction shutting down I dont think he is a free agent.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t think they will keep them like Elite XC did. If we remember back, Tom and Dana actually used to be great friends. I thinkthere will be a lot of guys going to the UFC from Affliction, as I’m sure that friendship is now re-kindled, just like him & Tito.

This actually may not turn out to be that bad in the long run

• Patrickk says:

This is awesome! 1 step closer to where it should be. Strikeforce needs not focus on making leaps and bounds, but to just stay afloat doing small shows. Stop paying the fighters millions per fight and everything will be fine. Let the UFC get these guys paid. Brock got over $1 mil and I think GSP did too because of the revenue being split certain ways. It’s just smart to leave the big things to the big guys. In this case it’s the UFC; it just makes sense.

Thanks Affliction for doing the right thing and stepping down instead of going bankrupt and worsening the sport’s already rocky state. And by rocky I mean critics are waiting for something to happen so they can hop on it and try to tarnish the reputation yet again.

We won’t stop! MMA lives! Thanks AFfliction for saving face :)

• edub says:

Interesting post Patrickk. I happen to disagree.

Running two shows and having two cancellations is terrible for the sport after the EliteXC debacle. This just adds more fuel to the fire for Critics.

I do happen to agree with the point of letting the UFC pay these guys. Its close but the UFC is almost mma in a whole.

MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,NASCAR,soon to be on the level UFC.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I see both points. The two recent cancellations of promotions is a big deal, considering one was for network television.

I do, however agree that it was better to step down ahead of time rather than mar the sport as bad if not worse than Elite did. Considering Donald Trump had a big stake in this, this is going to hit the news just as much, but at least in a better way. Can you imagine if the promotion would have folded with Donald’s name still on it?

The press would have had a feeding frenzy. I for one applaud Tom for making the right decision

• Dana just said “welcome back tito” on his Twitter.

Seriously, this day is EFFIN’ insane!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

WHAT!!??

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wow, just checked it myself. I guess he’s going to have a lot to talk about on ESPN Radio tonight. Times like this I wish I wasn’t offshore…..

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Too bad the Monson idea didn’t pan out.
    I would’ve paid to see Fedor fight ANYONE.
    Of course ,now I’m kind of excited to see what happens next.

• ThePerfectDrug says:

ZOMG, this is crazy. First Affliction goes out of promotion business, then BAM back on the UFC trolley. That’s simply astounding there..But what’s this? Mousasi said in a quote “That he may as well go fight in the UFC” or something along those lines I was flipping thru the TV when I just caught the tail end of that.

NOW TITO!?!?!?!? Jees louise, you know Dana White has this day marked on his calendar as a triumphant day for him. Simply astounding

• redness says:

Amazing Kimbo kills one promotion a Josh another.

• BillyWarhol says:

I Hope I still WIN da Affliction T Shirt!! ;PPP

• egad81 says:

I called this one as soon is I heard Josh failed the pee test. Fedor in the UFC for their next promotion in Japan??? Hows that for a rumor.

• s00nertp says:

OMG, this is freaking crazy. I hope these guys fight in the UFC as well.. Mousasi is incredible, please please please bring the fighters from affliction over. PLEASE!

(Especially Fedor)

• Jstew3785 says:

I bet we see Dana White in a Josh Barnett Affliction shirt with a BIG smile on his face.

• GetItOn says:

“”few could have predicted the story’s next twist””

I predicted it and you can find my exact prediction in the archives here on fiveouncesofpain. It was a theory that I explained in detail stating that Affliction and the UFC have been in on it this whole time. Pretending to hate each other when in fact they were just making it look like other promotions can’t touch the UFC.

My prediction:

Here’s the gist of the conversation that went down (Pre Affliction MMA Promotion) between the UFC and the clothing company Affliction:

UFC “Hey we have an idea. We’re going to pretend that we are banning your clothing line from the UFC events and you’re going to create an MMA organization. Then you are going to put on a couple of shows and spend millions of dollars doing it so you look like you are going to fold. People are truly going to think you are not going to make it because Elite XC tried to go head to head with us and everyone knows what happened to that organization right? Well the same thing is basically going to happen to your MMA promotion but that’s ok because we are going to make the world think that no one can compete with the UFC. Which they really can’t, but now when your MMA promotion “Affliction” doesn’t succeed, we really are the leader and no one will ever want to go head to head with us again. Never in history. Forget about Strikeforce, they’re doing their own thing. After Affliction the MMA promotion folds, we will let you guys back in the UFC and make you a partner like Tapout. You and Tapout will be the two largest clothing companies in the world of MMA for the rest of MMA existence, which is forever or until the world ends. Sound good Tom Atencio and other co-owners of Affliction?”

Affliction “Kinda long and drawn out, but we like it and we’re in!”

My new prediction:

The UFC will take over all Affliction fighter contracts and whaddya know, Fedor is now fighting for the UFC. Who knows for how long though? Couture will get his shot and then the almighty Brock Lesnar will be able to put the question ‘Can Brock beat Fedor?’ to rest.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’ll say this; You either have too much time on your hands, watch too much Conspiracy Theory, or you may just be right……

That would be hilarious to see Dana in a Barnett shirt! How about seeing him in the crowd @ 101?