Vadim Finkelchtein says Fedor’s opponent will likely be Rogers or Belfort

Vadim and Fedor

President and owner of M-1 Global, Vadim Finkelchstein has stated that Fedor Emelianenko‘s likely opponent for “Affliction Trilogy” on August 1 will likely be either Brett Rogers or Vitor Belfort.

The news came early this morning from Russia as Finkelchstein and Fedor held a press conference in response to the recent news of Josh Barnett being pulled from the bout due to testing positive for steroids for the second time in his career.

The report of the press conference has come courtesy of M-1 Global.com.

“By the end of the evening we expect to officially announce who’ll be the replacement for Barnett,” Finkelchtein was quoted as saying. “Vitor Belfort agreed [to the fight in] principle.”

However, M-1 Global recognizes the fact that a bout with a much smaller Belfort is not a fight the consensus would be satisfied with. According to Vadim, they have their eyes set on a knockout artist with a mohawk, and it’s not Chuck Liddell.

“We personally entertain the idea of having Brett Rogers step in since he knocked Andrei Arlovski out,” said Finkelchtein. “But if there is any problem with Rogers, then it’s pretty safe to say it’s going to be Belfort. However, we are well aware of the fact that fans don’t consider Vitor Belfort to be a suitable replacement, according to a recent Sherdog poll.

“Belfort can make heavyweight but the fans don’t want this fight. Fedor isn’t seeking an easy fight. If logistics weren’t an issue, we’d like to see Fedor fight against Brett Rogers. Fans want it (and) so do we.”

Another question on the minds of many fans is whether or not the last second change of opponents will have a negative effect on “The Last Emperor” when he steps into the ring in August, but with Fedor, every fight is the same. Just another human being to decimate.

“No, the main routine is over now,” the former PRIDE heavyweight champion responded. “From now on it all about accuracy, precision and execution. There was no specific manner to prepare for the planned bout with Josh Barnett. It’s all the same: standup and ground game… Undoubtedly, it’s better to know the name of your opponent long before the fight though.”

• metalmulisha says:

Fedor will get Brett Rogers in a bodylock then take him down and submit him in about a minute and a half.
    I’d much rather see him fight Belfort if it’s between the two.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rogers has fought some good wrestlers and shown above averag takedown defense so far. Now I am not comparing them to Fedor but with Brett’s size and power I think this would be a very intiiguing. I would love for this fight to happen, for Fedor’s possiable opponents I would like to see
    #1 Rogers
    #2 Belfort
    #3 Lashly
    #4 Werdum
    #5 Monson
    I think Lashly should take this fight but after reading comments from his camp it seems like he is more into the money and keeping a perfect record as long as possible than fighting the best fighter in the world and gaining that experience. If he wnats to keep fighting guys like Sapp great, but he will never get over with the fans, or get the experience to give a legitimate claim to the top 10.

• Patrickk says:

Gotta love Finkelchtein, he gives it to us very straight-forward.

I will love to see ‘Grim’ Rogers in there against Fedor.

He hit every nail on the head with this one.

…NO ONE wants to see Belfort get his behind handed to him against Fedor. And heck, Rogers may even knockout Fedor…it beats trying to see Belfort beat seemingly impossible odds.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Fedor vs Rogers is my vote.

• Davey D says:

I’d rather see Fedor fight against Vitor Belfort. Has anyone seen Fedor vs. Gary Goodridge? Emelianenko beat him down in short order. If they signed Brett Rogers to fight him. I believe we will see a contest that will not last 3 minutes. Seeing reports that he is asking for $800,000 just adds to the reasoning that Belfort would give a better performance for the money at stake.

Affliction is apparently offering $500,000 for someone to fight Emelianenko. That is a lot of money. Jeff “The Snowman” Munson would take that offer I’m sure. If people are demanding a person who regularly competes at HW, I’d go with him before Rogers.

Mr. Tom Atencio…do the right thing. Put Belfort opposite Emelianenko. Find a suitable opponent for Santiago, ask Strikeforce for a MW or quickly find someone else. Best of luck.

Mr. Fedor Emelianenko & his Advisor’s…I hope someday you’ll be able to come to an agreement with the UFC. Myself & almost everyone who watches MMA would like to see Fedor compete against their roster of Fighter’s. I believe that Fedor is & has been #1 for a long time. To see him enter the Octagon would be excellent. He has the power to show us all how this game is played. Not just inside the ring but on the outside as well. His attitude will show people just how good someone like him can be. NBA Basketball had Michael Jordan. Fedor Emelianenko could be that person for the UFC. Please consider joining their Leauge.

• edub says:

Fedor vs. Brett Rogers should be the fight to see.

• Angry Mike says:

The names that are being floated are quality fighters, but anyone other than Barnett is a distant second place. None of the replacements has his size and skills, which make him such an interesting match up with Fedor. This ppv is going to be like a closing call hook up. Yeah, I’m going to do it, but I already have regrets.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

WOW

This was news on Junkie @ 9:15am today. A little late, don’t you think?

• edub says:

So dont post on the site if your gonna hate on it.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Calm down. I post a lot on both. I’m just saying…

• ozz_the_powerful says:

If it’s any consolation I DO like this site better

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I know this can be debated to DEATH, but here is my opinion:

I like Jeff Monson.

He beat Roy Nelson March 21st (Boxing/MMA Card “March Badness”), Sergej Maslobojev March 29th (Cage Wars) and immediately went to Japan and beat top Russian Heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov on April 5, 2009 (Dream 8), giving him

3 wins within two weeks!!

How the Hell could anyone NOT want to see this? The guy is willing to take way less money. He just wants the fight. I respect that, and I’d also say he’s got half a chance. He definately has the heart. Monson is great on the ground, and would give Fedor a challenge. I WOULD BUY THIS FIGHT

• edub says:

I agree with some of the points Ozz I just dont know if Monson can get the fight there. Fedor has great reach for his height, and he is extremely fast for a hw.

I feel that if Monson were able to drag Fedor to the ground that he would be to beat up by then to mount any type of offense.

That is unless he gets North/South. Than it would be ovaaa.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I agree, he just has to get the fight there. That in itself could be the hardest part. At 5’9″ though, his height disadvantage may actually be an advantage. Lower hips = lower center of gravity; May prove to work in his favor.

I just think that in the end, it would be an interesting fight. Better than Rogers, that’s for sure.

• PlagueAngel says:

The best thing about Rogers/Monson getting the fight is that it won’t scratch Vitor from his fight on that night. Nice Slipknot mask ozz, although I do like the drummers mask the best.

• Iconoclastic says:

Gotta love Fedor, he is willing to give the fans the best possible match.
    Even if that means fighting someone has a good chance if knocking him out. B. Rogers is a BEAST, after his fight with Andrei, most hvwght’s wouldn’t want to fight him even with a 3 months notice.

It’s easy to say Fedor could just take him down and submit him, (Fedor v Randleman style) but Randleman is a runt compared to Rogers (6’5″, 265lbs.) I would def. pick Rogers to win via KO.

Mainly because Fedor’s defense has obviously been lacking (hands by his waist, throwing haymakers, and getting easily back up into the corner (vs Andrei).

He (Fedor) would obviously go in there looking to takedown the bigger man (Rogers) and while attempting to do this he would get caught with a barrage of heavy punches or a big knee to the grill to end his night and reign as hvwght champ.

With all this said I think we will see Fedor vs Belfort. Rogers has stated that he doesn’t want the fight (right now) and I think Affliction would prefer to keep the WAMMA belt in house (Belfort has mentioned that he would prefer to cont. fighting for Affliction) as opposed to Rogers being a Strikeforce fighter.

Fedor vs Belfort I think would play out a lot like (Belfort vs Couture 3) only with more judo throws and an eventual submission victory by Fedor.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if Fedor vs Belfort is the main event as Fedor is a small (6ft) for a heavy and Belfort’s quick hands could be trouble for just about anyone.

• Jak says:

Sucks if Rogers only gets a week to prepare for Fedor.

• TerribleT says:

• Iconoclastic says:

Yeah, it does suck but like I mentioned b4 he (Rogers) does have Rogers his own advantages (height, wght, speed) which outweighs what Fedor brings to table. Fedor is a great fighter but I think fighting someone that big and fast to too much to overcome, similar to how easy Lesnar dispatched of both Mir and Couture where it just seemed that they were fighting out of their weight class…..

• metalmulisha says:

TerribleT says “This is what happens when you fight at HW for a cracker jack promotion.There are no fights for you other than ones that are so one sided that they probably won’t even bother putting any odds up for them but Fedor doesn’t care.He could care less what his legacy in MMA will be.As long as he can participate in Sambo for Russia he’s happy which obviously means more to him than money or his legacy.”

This is either Dana White or a clueless 13 year old fanboy.

• Iconoclastic says:

There are plenty of VERY GOOD HVWTS out there that are NOT in the UFC.
    And Fedors willing to fight them! I think Rogers is underestimating his advantages. Props to fighters like Monson and even Don frye (although I have a better chance of beating Fedor than he does) for stepping up n willing to fight Fedor…..

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, I would absolutely KILL to see Don Frye in the cage with Fedor!!