Josh Barnett issues brief statement

On Wednesday, the California State Athletic Commission released a statement to the press confirming reports that Josh Barnett would not be granted a renewal of his license in anticipation of his Aug. 1 heavyweight title fight vs. champion Fedor Emelianenko during Affliction and M-1’sTrilogy” event.

The reason for Barnett not being granted a license was due to the fact that he has allegedly tested positive for the use of anabolic steroids. Up until now, Barnett had yet to issue an official statement regarding the matter. However, he posted the following comments regarding the matter late Wednesday night on his official MySpace account:

“Many of you are wondering what’s happening,” he began to write. What I can say is that when applying for my license, the CSAC asked for me to submit a urine sample for testing prior to granting my license as they do with everyone, I believe. It was not a random test. I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my sample at the earliest possible opportunity on June 25th. I never once thought there would be a problem.

“My representatives and I are working to gather as much info as possible and handle this situation as best as we can. I am embarrassed and want for nothing more than to resolve this issue and receive a license from the State of California as I have done many times already and for other states as well.

“I am very thankful for all the great family, friends and fans that still support me.

“Sincerely, Josh”

• GetItOn says:

Maybe Sylvia, Sherk, Leben, Shamrock and Bonnar all slipped a little of their urine into Barnett’s sample. WAR UFC lol

• cocoonofhorror says:

it is clear now that barnett is terrified of Fedor. they will never fight.

• Kamakosmo says:

No mention of “I did not take any Steroids”, just “I had no reason to believe there would be any issues”. I guess his masking agent didn’t work too well, eh?

• Austin says:

Sincerely,
    Josh “My Career is Fucked” Barnett

• ace328 says:

I guess there’s always Japan for Josh.

• Jstew3785 says:

I had no reason to believe I would get caught. Nick Diaz taught me a few tricks, but I guess they didn’t work.
    Sincerely,
    “Juiced” Josh Barnett

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder if anybody has ever been cleared by having their B sample tested? He sounds like he has accecpted that he wont be fighting.

• ctownhood says:

“I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my sample at the earliest possible opportunity on June 25th. I never once thought there would be a problem.”

Let me translate: “Damn..I thought I had cycled of the roids by now”

• Patrickk says:

This is horrible. It sounds insincere and like he tried to mask the drugs or he thought he cycled off of the roids. Terrible way to go down in history!

• Austin says:

His statement should have been: “:((((((((((((((((“

• fanoftna33 says:

Lets not forget that these two never really wanted to fight in the first place. Maybe this was just a easy way out for Barnett. It’s hard to fake a injury, and Shamrock already took the cut befor the fight excuse, so maybe this was his olny option. You know it’s a win win, take the steriods and if caught oh well if not then he has a huge advantage. Either way it could be justified in his mind.

• Angry Mike says:

Assuming that Barnett really did take steroids, I doubt his motivation was to avoid a fight with Fedor. He could have claimed an injury of some kind in order to duck the fight without the long term damage to his reputation and career.

• fanoftna33 says:

He could claim a injury but dont doctors have to check it out? Let’s say he did claim a knee injury and within a few weeks it comes out he was faking, who is going to belive he did it because he was friends with Fedor and not scared of him. This way he can always claim that he didnt take any drugs(see his last positive test) and still not fight Fedor.

• edub says:

Who knows? Maybe the athletic comissions are just out to get Josh Barnett, Sean Sherk, Stephan Bonner, and every other guy who tested positive for Anabolics…

But I doubt it. I dont believe you Josh and I probably wont ever watch you fight again.

• PlagueAngel says:

I know I’m going to get some shit for this, but I do think that Sherk could have been innocent because of the proof of steroids in his supplements and his two polygraph tests which he passed. Barnett was probably using the steroid for recovery. This is the second time for him so he is probably guilty.

• edub says:

I dunno Plague. I know I was almost sick when i heard he(Sherk) failed. It just made me think of the pace he would push and the unbelievable shape he was always in. I always thought it was just hard work, but then/now I just dont know.

• mu_shin says:

It is entirely possible that Sean Sherk used legal (at the time) pro-hormone supplements and tested positive for nandrolone, as several of the androstenedione compounds metabolize as nandrolone, but if that’s how it happended, he still should have known what he was putting into his body, and how it might effect his career.

Read up on drostanolone at mesomorphosis.com, which stated that Masteron passes from the system within ten days, much faster than most other steroids, and that body builders use it to prepare for contests. It enhances strength and explosive endurance, without aromatizing to estrogen and causing bloating, water retention, and gynecomastia. Thinking Barnett miscalculated his cycle, and just blew it, but I have also wondered if he didn’t really want to get beaten by Fedor who is a well known friend of Barnett’s. You would think however that he could come up with a way to pass on the fight without ruining his career, if that’s what’s really happening here…

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Sherks defense about his supplements and the fact that they are not monitered by the fda. These companies can put anything they want to in a container then claim it does anything. Nobody really checks. Just look at all the lawsuits against hydroxycut, people are getting seriously messed up from things like this. This is the one part of his denial that really hit home with me. I mean how many of us take suppliments, every one of them has a warning on the side that says “these statements have not been proven or evauated by the fda”.