Josh Barnett scratched from Affliction card, new opponent for Fedor to be announced shortly

FedorJosh Barnett has failed a pre-fight drug test and will not be able to compete in his highly anticipated heavyweight showdown with Fedor Emelianenko at “Affliction Trilogy“, which is set for August 1.

The confirmation of Barnett being yanked from the upcoming event comes courtesy of Affliction VP Tom Atencio in a recent report published by MMAFanhouse.com.

“[Barnett] tested positive for a banned substance,” Atencio was quoted as saying. “The athletic commission will not reinstate his license.”

It has also been reported that there are four strong candidates being considered as possible replacements to face “The Last Emperor” on just over a weeks notice; Vitor Belfort, Bobby Lashley, Brett Rogers, and Ricardo Arona. Fabricio Werdum may also be a potential opponent for Fedor on August 1.

Be sure to check back with FiveOuncesOfPain.com as we will continue to keep you in the loop on this still developing story.

• Patrickk says:

BOBBY LASHLEY! Pleeeeeease let them fight! OMG that would be bananas!

• Gurthee says:

Fedor vs. Vitor is a joke. 2 weight classes apart? C’mon, put Fedor up against a legit HW please!

• Jstew3785 says:

Bobby Lashley???? Are you f-ing kidding me!!!??? What has he done to even deserve a chance at Fedor? I guess it wouldn’t hurt his career to get destroyed by Fedor, he is the #1 HW in the world after all. But at least give us a competitive fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is huge news. Hopefully Lashly takes this fight. This is the kind of test these guys say they are looking for all the time, you get a shot at the best fighter in the world, on short notice, on ppv. Win or lose the chance to fight Fedor is worth anything. Anybody who gets this fight is a true warrior in my opinion.
    The other side of this is the relationship between Fedor and Josh, they have talked of being good friends befor this event so I wonder if Fedor will se this as Disrespectful? This guy is the best in the world for a reason, but bringing in a new opponent weeks befor the event will test even him.

• fanoftna33 says:

With Barnett being a ex pro wrestler I think the old ECW chants of
    “You F*#@ed Up” would be a bit fitting here.

• metalmulisha says:

It’s gonna be Belfort hopefully. His trainer Shawn Tompkins saisd he weighs about 205 right now and would be about 215 fight time.
    If the alternative is seeing Bobby Lashley take Fedor with a double leg and having Fedor armbar him from his back all within a minute. I’ll take a fight with Belfort any day.

• I am boycotting any event Josh Barnett will be fighting in from now on.

Sorry, WVR and New Japan… but you’re shit out of luck if you hire that fucking idiot.

Is it considered fighter bashing if it’s true?

• metalmulisha says:

MMA Fanhouse is reporting that Rogers, Lashley, Belfort and Arona being considered as replacements.
    Of that group I hope it’s Arona. He should have won the decision the first time he fought Fedor.

• dpk says:

Bobby Lashley, who 4 months ago went the distance with the Legendary Jason Guida, please no. He would be submitted very easily. From what I read earlier today, I don’t think Lashley is interested anyway, so thanks for that.

Barnett screwed this up big time, 1 time and I’ll give a little bit of reasonable doubt, but 2 times is not a mistake, especially when both times were around the biggest fights of his career (Randy and now Fedor). Who knows how many of his fight in Japan he was juiced for?

Putting Belfort against Fedor would screw the entire card, why take away a great MW fight to make a joke of a main event. In this order I would be calling HWs to fight Fedor – Monson, Werdum, Rogers, Buentello, Yvel, Rothwell. One of them can answer the call, heck 3 of them are already fighting on the card.

This should put the finishing touches on Affliction, so now these guys can get out and sign on with Dream, Strikeforce, or UFC.

• Patrickk says:

Yeah, Josh Barnett is a moron. Regardless if it was one of those situations where they can claim that they didn’t know it was illegal, or whatever the excuses may be, there is really no true and legitimate excuse to failing these drug tests. MMA is pure, and the body needs to stay that way as well. Whey Protein and things of that nature are fine, but once you get into the HGH [Human Growth Hormone] and all of that craziness it’s just not right for you, the fans, and the business as a whole.

…What you do in the dark WILL come to the light!

Also, seeing Fedor against Lashley would be great.

1. They only have 10 days to prepare for each other. That makes the fight more realistic as most people only work on outdoing the opponent’s weaknesses. I wish there were more fights that were unknown of who the fighter would be facing until the fight night. It would make it unpredictable and would actually test all-around skill and not just good gameplanning.

2. Lashley is wayyyyyyyyy stronger and is an ex-wrestler and can probably stifle Fedor’s submission attempts from the bottom. (Think Lesnar vs. Mir II)

3. Even if Lashley loses, it probably won’t be in the first round. Or if it is, it will be in devastating fashion and would make for quality highlight reel repeats across the globe.

4. This will give Lashley first-hand insight that he truly isn’t ready [if he loses], or we will finally get to see that Fedor’s majestic aura was just some stinky gas floating around him.

Or if not Lashley, then I’d say Brett ‘Grim’ Rogers! He just obliterated Arlovski…extremely devastating power! Fedor would have to take it to the ground for either both of these guys.

• Hohlraum says:

Fabricio Werdum all the way!

• ctownhood says:

Patrickk..Lashley…really? The same Lashley that was almost submitted by Jason Guida? Look, everytime Feodr fights someone..they are stronger, faster, blah blah blah. Brett Rogers would be a stiffer test, but he would get submitted.

• Mike Straka reports that Josh Barnett did test positive for steroids.

Fuuuuuuuuck Josh Barnett.

Fuck him and three dudes that look like him.

• Angry Mike says:

Given his history, it’s not a complete surprise. As much as I wanted to see this fight, in my gut I questioned whether it ever would. Barnett has been unenthusiastic about fighting Fedor for quite a while. Regardless, this is a big disappointment for Affliction and MMA fans. Barnett was the only legitimate threat left for Fedor in Affliction, and throwing somebody else in the ring at the last minute won’t fix the problem.

• Angry Mike says:

Gotta agree with Sergio on this one, too.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

I say BRETT ROGERS is the most deserving of the names mentioned

• edub says:

I was racking my brain for the past couple hours about this situation. And the only thing I see making sense is having Arlovski fight him again. Yes yes I know he was just Ko d by Brett Rogers, but if anyone thinks Brett can beat fedor because of this needs mental help.

Vitor Belfort: Has great power and speed and could Ko Fedor if the right situation happens, but He has no staying power. Even If he wins all you need is a good wrestler thats bigger than Belfort to take the title away from him. You also lose a greattt Mw if you use him.

Brett Rogers: Simply not ready.The Arlovski KO asside he has not impressed me that much with his all around game.

Fabricio Werdum: Not known at all. Could sub Fedor. But I dont see anyway to market him as a decent replacement.

Paul Buentello & Gilbert Yvel: One dimensional strikers that arent that good.

Bobby Lashley: Not experienced enough yet. He is almost as big as Brock but he doesnt seem to be as fast. Dont think Brock vs Mir 2; think more like Fedor vs. Coleman 1&2.

Andrei Arlovski: Best marketing position. Give him a shot to step up on short notice(kind of like a second chance situation after two straight kos). Wasnt tooling Fedor in first round like many people say, but was quicker and landing decent shots. Is still known very well, and if he wins you have your next main event set up as a revenge match for Arlovski against Grimm Rogers. Better yet you could market him in a way to use the fact that he was winning the first round in their first fight.

• Arlovski is still on medical suspension thanks to Rogers.

Not an option.

• edub says:

Until when?

• First week of August.

He was suspended for 60 days following his KO loss to Rogers on June 6.

Not sure if the AC would allow him to fight, even though it’s less than a week before his suspension is due to be up but seeing as how Affliction didn’t bother renewing Arlovski’s contract, I don’t think it matters.

• edub says:

If hes still under medical suspension I say give him Lashley. A win win for Affliction IMO. If Lashley wins they have their new star with a big following already. If(when) Fedor wins you got more viewers out of Lashley to help build your product.

• Lashley has already turned it down.

Affliction is effed in the a.

• lemonheadzzz says:

How do you replace a top 5 HW in less than 2 weeks? Nobody on this list has any shot of beating Fedor but I say give the shot to Grim. I’m not saying he’s the best fighter on the list but I think he would be the most exciting. We’ve seen what these others can do an mostly it’s put you to sleep, and I’m not talking subs or Ko’s.

Lashley is a name so he would bring in some viewers, but he’s too green.

• Jstew3785 says:

I say give him Seth Petruzelli. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

• Jstew3785 says:

In all seriousness, it should be Brett Rogers or Fabricio Werdum.

• lemonheadzzz says:

Dana White has tears in his eyes he’s laughing so hard

• Angry Mike says:

… and pissed himself, too. If he’s smart, he’ll not comment publicly. He’ll make an overture to Fedor, or Lorenzo will. The time may be right to put some serious cash on the table.