Fedor Emelianenko vs. Vitor Belfort expected for “Affliction Trilogy”

After Josh Barnett has recently been pulled from the upcoming “Affliction Trilogy” card on August 1 due to testing positive for steroids, the company has found his unlikely replacement in the form of a Brazilian middleweight known as “The Phenom”.

Fedor Emelianenko is expected to face off with Vitor Belfort in the main event of “Affliction Trilogy”.

The news comes courtesy of a recent report from John Pollock from The Fight Network who received the confirmation of the bout via Belfort’s trainer at Xtreme Couture, Shawn Tompkins.

A shocking twist of events as Belfort was scheduled to fight on the card as a middleweight, facing off with Jorge Santiago.

No news of a new opponent for Santiago has been announced at this time.

Vitor has won his last four straight bouts, three of which have come by knockout, with his last victory coming in the form of a paralyzing first round knockout over the highly regarded Matt Lindland at Affliction: Day of Reckoning in January of this year.

• shotokai_ says:

Fedor via human demolition.
    If anyone can think of a way Vitor can realistically win this fight I’d like to hear it. Wonder what his game plan might be. Randy’s one of the best strategists in the game, no doubt, but to say he’s got his hands full here is like saying Josh Barnett is a bit of a silly billy.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Well this just might as well be called AFFLICTION FINALLY
    Their PPV numbers are going to take a beating

• TheHouse says:

Competition for perhaps a ….free tee-shirt for new name of event.

-Affliction Fatality

• metalmulisha says:

I doubt that their PPV numbers are going to take a beating from what they would have got anyway. It’s not like Josh Barnett has legions of fans in the U.S. You could make the argument Belfort has more name recognition in the U.S. than Josh.

• Ugh.

I’ll still be ordering it… well, my friend will. We all split the cost of the PPV but rest assured, this would definitely be a no-buy if I was paying it all myself.

Fedor/Barnett and Belfort/Santiago are now off leaving Mousasi/Sobral as the only intriguing match-up.

• Davey D says:

For what it is worth, I’d like to say bravo to Vitor Belfort for stepping up and saying he’d take this fight if needed. Shawn Tompkins says he is at 205 right now so he could easily bump up ten to fifteen pounds inside of 10 days. The last time I checked, that would quailfy him for a HW bout. Fedor will weigh about 230 so that isn’t a crazy mis-match by any stretch.

Again, this is Vitor Belfort. The same guy who KTFO’d Matt Linland & had him laid out for all of 15 minutes. It took Fedor a little bit longer as I recall. Vitor has been in this game a long time. He is probably one of the only Fighter’s out there with a good name & a half-decent chance of beating Emelianenko. Although guys like Rogers, Werdum, Lashley, Yvel, the Snowman are true HW’s. I would chose Belfort over all of them if I was Affliction. Granted, Santiago would get the shaft BUT isn’t he trying to go for the Dream MW strap anyway? Isn’t Rogers & Werdum both signed to Strikeforce? Lashley isn’t COMPLETELY focused on MMA nor is he experienced enough to even warrant a shot at Fedor. But, money talks…and cross promoting seems to be the go to route when these things happen.

Moving on to Gegard Mousassi (sp?)…good up & coming fighter. Says he would go up to HW and also wanted to fight Vitor at 205 (not 185) on this same card. Very game opponent for anyone right now. I’d keep the fight against Babalu if I were him. Fedor is closer to him than Barnett so that would damper things a bit & most of the “casual” public doesn’t even know him that well. He also has the Super Hulk tourney to think about too so I don’t see him filling the void.

Lastly, I’d really like to know exactly what the boys over at Zuffa are saying right now. It would suck to be in Tom Atencio’s shoes today. I hope they can find someone to step in and take the job at hand, they’ve paid a lot of people handsomely. Just kinda sad that this is the way their ship could go down without the #1 & #2 HW’s in the world fighting on their stage, perphaps even final stage. Cheers to you if you’ve stuck with me this long. Thanks!

Sergio Hernandez…that avatar you have is effn’ awesome. Oldboy is such a badass movie. Use your Wings!!!

• Angry Mike says:

So let’s have a contest to rename the event. Affliction: Brain dead. Affliction: The Replacements Affliction: I wanted a world class heavyweight match up but all I got was this crappy, over-priced t-shirt.

• fanoftna33 says:

Vitor still has fast hands and lots of power for his weight, how well that translates we will see. Remember he fought many heavyweights in his day. When compairing recent common opponents(Lindland) Vitor destroyed him in under 60 seconds, Fedor took a lot longer, had to hold the ropes a few times and caught Lindland’s arm. I think we will see a fight much like Arlovski vs Fedor, with Vitor using his speed and frustrating Fedor befor finally getting a taste of that right paw of Fedor.

• redness says:

They should have put Brett Rogers in there. Belfor is gonna get crushed.

• fanoftna33 says:

One thing that could make all of this a mma dream fight would be Zuffa calling up Affliction and loaning them one of there heavyweight fighters, maybe to help in getting Fedor to come to the ufc someday. I know it wont happen but man that would be so cool.

• Paulo says:

Is this the same Vitor that wimped out against Gegard Mousassi at a catchweight fight @195 b/c he said he had no interest in moving up. Fedor is risking alot taking this fight. If he wins, noone will care that he beat a Middle weight. If he loses, he will lose his bargaining power to get a good deal in the UFC after Afflication folds (probably after this show).

• TheHouse says:

Best Argument – Paulo – If Fedor loses, hell freezes over, Lesner feels right at home being from Minisota-A
    Best Joke – Affliction:The Replacements – thats just funny.

• shocbomb says:

I want to see Fedor fighting top HW’s not MW’s. Also now we have another fight thats gets ruined and a fight I really wanted to see Vitor vs Jorge Santiago. I have to think Atencio and crew over at Affliction could of done better then Vitor on short Notice. I myelf would of liked to see eather Werdum or Monson or even Tito would of done not this though

• neijia says:

I’m with fanoftna33. Vitor looks faster. He might be able to outbox Fedor for a bit like Arlovski did. Don’t think that’s enough though.

• edub says:

Paolo I agree fully.

You didnt want to go up in weight to fight a guy at 205 who is dangerous but is still an even match up for you. But now you jump at the chance to fight Fedor at hw.

IMO hes taking this fight because he knows hell probably lose but he did it on 11 days notice. If he wins hes a hero, if he loses its no big deal.

Fighter bashing: Dude is still a mental midget.

• PlagueAngel says:

Since they spent so much time filming Lindland unconscious and twitching, maybe we get to see Vitor spend some time in dreamland. Rogers should have been brought in if he is not taking Overeems spot. This whole scenario hurts Affliction’s chances of staying alive after Aug.1st. Why not bring Ortiz against Fedor? Didn’t the badboy himself request a matchup with Fedor a little while ago? Also, this hurts Barnetts reputation immensely. I bet Dana White is eating Lobster tonight!

• Jstew3785 says:

Who is Jorge Santiago going to fight? Did they scrap it all together? How about Matt Lindland for a potential opponent. I bet Dana White jizzed in his pants when he found out about Barnett. I can’t see Affliction recovering from this one which sucks because they have put together some amazing fights.

• “Who is Jorge Santiago going to fight? Did they scrap it all together?”

That’s what I’m saying, man! They’re screwing up a great fight to make a mediocre one!

• Jstew3785 says:

Maybe they will give Santiago a heavyweight, perhaps Brett Rogers. It’s about the same logic they used for the main event

• Kamakosmo says:

Same old story…Fedor is too Smart and too Strong to let Vitor inflict anything….2 weeks from now, the discussion will continue, Fedor vs. Brock…Wake me when the ink is dry (especially these days…)

• Rich S. says:

Argh, I was hoping this wouldn’t happen..

Vitor’s just starting to get back on the path to being a contender again at his new, faster weight of 185.. Now, he’s going to go up to HW, a weight at which he’s never fought (correct me if I’m wrong), and fight the best Heavyweight in the world?

He’s on a such a role, I don’t even want to think about what a devistating KO loss would do for him right now..

And if he can somehow keep away from Fedor’s power on the feet, we’ll still be looking at Couture/Belfort 3 all over again..

I guess, as a fighter, when you get the opportunity to fight one of the greats like Fedor, you have to take it.. But in this case, it’s a horribly, HORRIBLY stupid decision..

On the other hand, if Vitor wins, it’ll be the greatest day of my life! He’s a long time favorite of mine. His story is so touching, and I want nothing more than for him to find success, and someday, a title..

• fanoftna33 says:

Rich S
    Vitor started out at heavyweight just check out any older ufc tape past #11 or 12, I really think this will be a better fight than most are giving credit.

• Rich S. says:

Alright, I had forgotten if he was actually Heavyweight or if they were open weight bouts, thanks..

• Well, those “Heavyweight” bouts were anything over 200 lbs.

Which isn’t to say Vitor wasn’t a legit HW then but it doesn’t prove it outright, either.

Regardless, this match-up sucks for so many reasons.

• edub says:

He was also a HW in Pride. (See Heath Herring fight.)

• rediknight says:

Even though this is disappointing, I would watch rather watch Fedor fight Urijah Faber than to not see him fight at all.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think the heavyiest he fought at was 215, but back in the old ufc days he was fighting guys that were 280+, and doing very well. I understand that was many years agobut he is still a young guy. I agree with you Rediknight, I would watch Fedor vs anybody.

• Jak says:

This was going to be the first Affliction i ordered. 3 solid fights, Fedor, Mousasi and Belfort fights…

This is no longer a worthy card to order. instead of 3 fights(plus some decent other ones) it has one fight i want to see Babalu/Gegard and that is it.

Boo-urns!

• Ryder says:

This card was really legit before Barnett didnt clear. In all actuality, it is almost for sure their last event. It will probably be Vitor vs. Fedor and Fedor wins in 1st with a overpowering submission.

• Patrickk says:

Wow! This is beyond ridiculous. I just can’t believe this. If the main event really is with Vitor Belfort, you may as well cancel the event. No one is going to buy that. If it is Lashley or even Grim then that gives it a better chance. Belfort is wayyyyyyyyy too small for Fedor!

• GetItOn says:

Davey D – I don’t know if you remember or not but Lindland KO’d himself by landing on his back in the UFC so a KO on him is pretty simple. Not to take anything away from Vitor Belfort but of all the guys to step up to fight Fedor, I am surprised. I really expected Brett Rogers considering his recent KO of Arlovski and for weight reasons as well. Vitor better keep his distance, throw like Arlovski did and get out of the pocket. Unfortunately that’s not really his style. He likes to stand and bang. I don’t see this going well for Vitor. Sorry buddy, I love ya Phenom but you gonna get turned into hamburger. : P

• theinfamousjmo says:

It’s a money fight for Belfort. Plain and simple.

Rumor has Affliction’s going to pay Belfort $500,000 now.

• Jstew3785 says:

Vitor Belfort will win by tiger uppercut.

• Jstew3785 says:

But seriously, this fight will be somewhat competitive, but more than likely Fedor will take him down and submit him quickly. Fedor by armbar in under 3 minutes. Vitor will land a few shots on the feet and then get taken down. Can you imagine what would happen if Vitor did win? Not saying he will, but think of the repercussions if he did. Would Vitor move up and defend the WAMMA HW title? Maybe then and only then would we see Gegard vs Belfort. If he somehow pulls it off, it would be f-ing insane.

• Jstew3785 says:

I know who Jorge Santiago should fight, and he’s on this webpage. I’ll give you a hint…… ranger up

• lemonheadzzz says:

Still 2 good fights, Mousasi/Sobral and Fedor vs. whoever. I still would love to see Fedor fight Grim though. Not because he has the best chance but because he’s a legit HW and he’s fun to watch.

Also, it’s like Rocky, the guy was changing tires for a living not too long ago and he goes on to beat the guy a lot of people think is p4p the best fighter in the world.

• Austin says:

I wonder if fedor could take out babalu.

• Jstew3785 says:

He already has beaten Babalu

• Bullylover says:

i wonder if mousasi wins if he’ll try to accuse belfort of ducking him. I recall Barnett saying that he would kill his mother for this fight. I guess he didn’t want it that bad. The only intriguing matchup left is the mousasi/sobral fight.