Gurgel vs. Evangelista on tap to headline October Strikeforce Challengers card

A lightweight bout between UFC veteran Jorge Gurgel and Billy Evangelista is expected to be the main event at a Strikeforce Challengers card in Fresno, California on October 25 that will air live on Showtime.

The news of the tentative match-up was reported earlier by Sherdog.com.

The winner of the bout would likely be in very good position to challenge for the Strikeforce lightweight championship in the near future.

Evangelista is a blue chip prospect with a record of 9-1. The sole defeat on his record came in the form of a disqualification due to kneeing a downed Mike Aina in May of 2009. He currently trains out of Team Buhawe in Fresno, California.

Gurgel is no stranger to fans of the UFC as he was recently released from the organization with an Octagon record of 3-4. He bounced back and looked impressive while edging out Conor Heun in an amazing battle that took place at Strikeforce Challengers II in June of 2009.

• metalmulisha says:

Gurgel is a tough guy but Evangelista should get back on track here with a win after that bullshit DQ against Aina thanks to Mike’s acting job and Herb Dean seeing something that didn’t happen.

• Patrickk says:

I don’t know who would win this match, but I would like to see it. I really need to get Showtime and HDNet, because I am missing out on some great fights.

• fanoftna33 says:

Jorge is a very tricky guy to fight, espacially for Evangelista who is stil a little new. In his fight with Aina he looked solid but Jorge is quite a leap in compition.

• Jstew3785 says:

Maybe, just maybe, Jorge will use just a little jiu jitsu. But he’ll probably keep it on the feet and slug it out for 3 rounds. It’s been over 4 years since he submitted someone or even finished a fight. I’m sure it will be an entertaining fight though. Patrickk, you must get Showtime and HDNet, it’s almost mandatory for any MMA fan.

• Snoop Dogg says:

Gurgel please use your ground game you couldn’t KO and ant with your power.

Why buy Showtime and HDNet when you get fights for free on the net

• Angry Mike says:

@Patrickk

I was a Comcast customer for years and finally switched to a satellite network because I couldn’t get HDNet. What a great move. The picture is better, it’s cheaper, and the MMA programming on HDNet is terrific. The recent Dream welterweight Grand Prix was awesome. Well worth the investment.

• edub says:

Probably gonna be a great back and forth fight between two top 30 lws.

Im gonna say Evangelista dec.

• edub says:

Nevermind top 40.

• metalmulisha says:

If it’s a great fight are you going to be thinking about where each guy is ranked on some website while you’re watching?

• edub says:

Not on a website in my own head. While itll be a great fight(I think); I will be thinking that these guys are good but not champioship material(thats where rankings come in for me).

I say this because in the article it points out that the winner would be in line for a title shot.

• metalmulisha says:

Well OK…
    I guess we just have much different thoughts going through our heads when we’re watching fights.

• Jstew3785 says:

I see what you mean edub. The guy that gets cut from the UFC is championship material in Strikeforce? What does that say about their lightweight division? This fight will definitely be entertaining, but that doesn’t mean these are 2 world class fighters.
    Completely off topic… Does my gravatar appear on these posts?

• metalmulisha says:

Nope.

• Jstew3785 says:

I can’t figure this shit out. I set it up last night. Oh well.

• edub says:

Metal I see what your getting at and when Im watching a fight I m not directly thinking of the pecking order of a certain division. Now at certain points where you start to think “man this guy looks really improved” or the commentator says “his Jiu Jitsu is among the best in the world” I take a step back and realize Im watching a particular fight for entertainment value and not seeing to contenders for the belt go at it.

Make sense at all?

• fanoftna33 says:

I would just onc like to watch Jorge fight and not have to hear about how good his Jiu Jitsu is and how he never uses it. Let him fight how he wants to fight and enjoy the show he put’s on.

• metalmulisha says:

Oh I understand where you’re coming from edub as far as Gurgel goes with regards to him being in the title picture IF he wins, because if he ends up emerging as a #1 contender Strikeforce better raid Japan for some lightweights,because either Thomson or Melendez will wipe the floor with him, but I think you might be underestimating Evangelista a little.