Alistair Overeem Out of Title Defense with Injured Hand

Current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem will be unable to compete against Brazilian submission ace Fabricio Werdum after having re-injured a hand during preparation for the bout.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has recently received a press release from Strikeforce relaying the bad news.

Overeem was recently forced out of previously anticipated match-up with Brett Rogers due to a broken hand from an altercation at a night club that sent five bouncers to the hospital.

It has been reported that a replacement fight for the cancelled heavyweight contest will be announced soon.

Even in lieu of Overeem’s absence on the card the August 15th event will still feature three title fights.

Headliners Gina Carano and Cris “Cyborg” Santos will face off to determine the first Women’s 145-pound Champion in Strikeforce history, while Nick Diaz and Joe Riggs re-visit their rivalry with the company’s welterweight belt on the line and Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez will attempt to reclaim his lightweight strap from current champ Josh “The Punk” Thomson.

• edub says:

Fukin Overeem man.

Should just have Rogers step up, keep the title in contention, and strip Overeem of the title.

• metalmulisha says:

The guy’s injured and you want him stripped?

Why strip him when Cung Le is perfectly healthy but can’t defend his title because he’s pretending to be Chuck Norris.

• Jstew3785 says:

This is so similar to the Jamie Varner saga in the WEC. Create an interim belt, have Rogers and Werdum fight for it, and then when Overeem is healthy, have a unification match. Problem solved.

• Austin says:

I love Overeem, but they really need to interim this shit.

• theinfamousjmo says:

JStew, I agree. They really need an interim heavyweight title.

This is two title defenses that Overeem’s had to miss. Have Overeem and Rogers (who should have gotten the title shot in the first place) fight for it. Whoever wins that can fight Overeem to unify it later in the year. It’d be a great headline whenever Strikeforce does a CBS card.

• Jstew3785 says:

You mean have Werdum and Rogers fight for the interim title? That’s what I’m assuming you meant. A unification match on CBS would be pretty sweet. Overeem is a beast and that would be some good exposure for him.

• theinfamousjmo says:

…yeah, that’s what I meant (I just now noticed I said Overeem instead of Werdum). It’s been a long day. Posting your opinion on little sleep is not a good idea haha!

• Patrickk says:

Man I was pretty excited for this fight. I wanted to see Overeem knock out Werdum! Well, yeah, I agree with doing the interim title thing until he is healthy. It wouldn’t be fair to take it away from him, ya know?

Get better Overeem! Us fight fans are waiting upon your return!

• fanoftna33 says:

Strikeforce has been very good about putting on fights people want to see, I cant wait until they announce who is taking Overeem’s place againt Werdum. Rogers would be great. Some of the other fighters they have taht could make a pretty good match for Werdum are Trevor Prangly, or Kevin Randleman. The other thing I would really like to see would be Bobby Southworth step up in weight to fight Werdum, that could be exciting, and we all know strikeforce dosent mind messing with weight classes.

• Tough break for Strikeforce.

I definitely agree an Interim title needs to be created and contended between Werdum and Rogers if Overeem can’t fight by Strikeforce’s NEXT card.

Unfortunately, we don’t know if Rogers can take this fight on three weeks notice so an Interim fight on 8/15 might be out of the question.

Still a hell of a card, though.

• edub says:

Mulisha:

The reason I said strip him off the bat instead of the Interim title angle is this is the second defense he has missed this year. Guys who are fighters need to be held responsible for their actions. He broke his hand in a bar fight he should pay the price now by having his title stripped. He can still fight for the title whe he finally heals up.

• edub says:

Oh and I also think Le shouldve been stripped after he hadnt defended the title for a year.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is exactly why the ufc makes its fighters fight for them olny, and in cases where the champion cant fight(Matt Sera, Frank Mir) they put the top contenders in for a interim belt. I think Strikeforce needs to toughen up a little and keep these guys fighting. Really the mma world will be o k if they take the belt off Le or Overeem.