Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson II set to headline UFC 103

The UFC’s second venture into Texas officially has a main event! rich-franklin

According to an announcement made on their website, former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin has been given an opportunity to avenge a razor-thin split decision loss to Dan Henderson from this past January.

Henderson is freshly off a UFC 100 highlight reel knockout of his foil on last season’s Ultimate Fighter, Michael Bisping, while “Ace” last thrilled fans in Germany for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99.

UFC 103 will take place on September 19th in Dallas, Texas.

Other announced bouts on the card include Mike Swick fighting for welterweight title contendership against Martin Kampmann, Josh Koscheck welcoming veteran Frank Trigg back to the Octagon, and a lightweight clash between Tyson Griffin and Hermes Franca.

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Sean Sherk are also reported to be in action at the event.

• edub says:

Damn two of my favorite fighters have to fight again.

Again I ask…

What weight what weight what weight?????

• PlagueAngel says:

A second fight makes absolutely no sense. Especially when there is nothing to gain for either fighters and no title on the line. Who made this decision?

• shotokai_ says:

Why? I mean, why?! I understand it from Franklins point of view – he’s pissed at the decision – and I admire Hendos ‘I’ll fight anyone anytime’ attitude, but, really, what does he have to gain from this? A title shot yes yes; but he should have that anyway. A big risk in my opinion, the first fight was clooose.
    edub as for the weight I reckon it will definitely be at 205, thats what Franklin will want and Hendo has said on numerous occasions how much he hates the cut.

• edub says:

Yea I guess.

You know I have a sneaking suspicion they would make this fight for the inaugural 195 lb title. Eventhough it would be useless.

• Kamakosmo says:

Whoa…a bit too soon, don’t ya think? As the other’s have said already, what’s the point? UFC that desperate for a Main Event for this card?

• antone3x7 says:

Dan Henderson deserves a middleweight title shot against Anderson Silva, so a rematch with Rich Franklin at 205 doesn’t make much sense at all, especially since Franklin’s move to 205 seemingly is permanent. If Hendo wins, he finally gets the shot he deserves. If Franklin wins, we lose yet another contender at 185. I guess, if anything, it clears the way for Yushin Okami or Damien Maia.

• edub says:

Or Marquardt.

I would hope Okami finally gets the shot though.

• cage_rage says:

Hendo should have a MW title shot regardless of the outcome.

This probably will be a LHW fight. The only person who would gain anything from a win is Franklin.

• PlagueAngel says:

This fight is complete bullshit. Any fight that happens twice should ALWAYS happen for a title. Plus a fight like this MUST go five rounds to make it interesting. Franklin is moving up and Hendo is moving down in weight so this fight is so stupid that it hurts to be alive right now. Both fighters are going to be cautious and it will end in another decision.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

It baffles me as to how any MMA fan can be upset at the announcement of two all-time greats fighting again after their first match resulted in a close split decision.

• PlagueAngel says:

@Brendhan
    Wake me up when its over. Let me know the relevance of the “heated”(yawn) matchup between these fighters and I’ll show you the pillow I will be laying on when these guys fight again. I’m interested in fights that make sense and move forward in weight classes, not last second decisions on fighters who don’t want to cut weight because its too difficult. This is going to be a cautious affair with the winner proving nothing to the fans in any weight division. When asked about possible fights for both fighters recently, both of them failed to mention each other as a exciting opportunity. This fight makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.

• shotokai_ says:

lolzzzz @ plagueangel

• Rich S. says:

This is really weird..

As if Hendo/Silva 2 didn’t seem totally perfect, there’s STILL much better opponents for Hendo right now (Okami, Marquardt) and much better opponents for Rich (Cane, Coleman)..

Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s always great for the fans when two legends of this caliber, with infinite heart and ability, get in the cage and battle.. But the timing is just bad.. And there’s no real importance to this fight.. That’s what gets me..

If Hendo wins again, that’s just another notch on his record, and I guess he couldn’t be denied the title shot then.. But really, nothing would change.. The loss would hurt Franklin pretty badly.. And if Hendo loses, two straight wins over Silva and Hendo would put Franklin right where he wants to be, title contention, but kind of wipe clean all that Hendo has done with the show and the road back to the title..

Eh, I would watch these guys battle any and every day of the week, but right now, this just doesn’t make sense, and these constant ups and downs in weight for Franklin (and/or Hendo) can’t be helping anything..

• Kamakosmo says:

A. Soup Sandwiches? Very nice, never heard of that.
    B. 100% right about this fight. Makes no sense other than $$$. (Plus peeps complaining about there not being a Main Event, and I think this was done last minute)
    C. No mention of Tito Ortiz by you? Easy, just kidding!

• GetItOn says:

I have to say that this fight is really unnecessary from a veteran mma fan’s point of view, however Henderson did receive a great amount of applause at UFC 100 before and after the fight. Rich Franklin is a huge crowd favorite as well. Their first meeting did take place outside the USA so I am sure that there are plenty of fans, new and old, in the US that would love to see these two face off live; regardless of their previous fight. I for one would like to see Franklin avenge this loss so he can move up further in the LHW division for that title shot.

I am a huge conspiracy theorist so I think that the UFC is betting on Franklin winning this fight, which will in turn possibly remove Henderson’s chances of a title shot against Silva. This way, after GSP beats the winner of Swick vs Kampmann and Silva beats the winner of Marquardt vs Maia, they can finally setup the superfight of GSP vs Silva.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I guess I’m just a sucker for world class competitors facing each other.

• metalmulisha says:

I think a lot of people are missing the point of why this fight was made. I mean they needed a main event yeah, but Rich Franklin just renegotiated a new contract with Zuffa and I guarantee when they ask him who he wanted to fight at this event he said Hendo. He felt he was robbed in the decision the first fight and he’s the only person on earth who was clamoring for this rematch.
    Dan’s not going to say no, because he made a point after the Bisping massacre that the UFC has been really good to him and who he fought next was up to them. Plus they just gave him an extra 100,000 dollars.

This was Franklin’s call hands down. Dana and Joe Silva weren’t going to say absolutely not even though the fight makes zero sense to anyone other than Rich because Zuffa has always catered to guys like Rich Franklin, Matt Hughes, and Chuck Liddell. They are Zuffa’s lackeys.

• Patrickk says:

Now I know Franklin vs. Henderson was a very exciting fight. But I myself don’t understand why they did a rematch within the same year. There are so many other top contenders in this weightclass that these two could have been paired up to fight other fighters on the same card or something.

• dpk says:

UFC could have done worse, but they also could have done a lot better with the main event. I would rather have seen Rich v Cane, and seen Hendo keep fighting at 185 but this isn’t a bad fight by any stretch. This whole card is stacked, I am really interested to see who ends up on the TV portion.

Rich v Hendom, Cro Cop v Dos Santos, Swick v Kampmann are the easy choices
    But then you have to decide between
    Kos v Trigg
    Efrain v Cole Miller
    Tyson v Franca (Fight of the night potential)
    Sherk v Tibau

• hindsightufuk says:

sounds like a great card and i’m stoked at Rich and Dan facing off again. Two fighters of that calibre should be fighting over 5 rounds anyway. In a way the first fight was pointless, it didnt didnt tell us anything we didnt already know and ended too soon. plus i reckon had it gone 5 rounds rich would have taken the win.
    dont care if it doesnt makes sense, or if its just for $$$, i just wanna see these guys fight. and the thing is, its gonna be a hell of a lot more entertaining than some main events recentley in the ufc – rampage/jardine silva/leites lesnar/mir silva/cote spring to mind.
    it is a bit to soon for the rematch but these guys arent getting any younger.

• Jstew3785 says:

Completely, totally off the subject… I just read that Kimo Leopoldo died of a heart attack.

• ultmma says:

The rematch nobody wanted. I would of rather seen Wandy vs. Franklin go at it again. So is Henderson now fighting at 205 again? I don’t see what either fighter has to gain here. They are both going in different direction in their respective fight careers, Franklin at 205 and Henderson at 185.

This is a huge letdown after hearing rumors of a possible Tito Ortiz versus Rich Franklin main event.

• manny says:

This ufc 103 card SUCKS! I’m form Dallas and was very anxious to see my first ufc live event. Now that I see the main event along with the other crappy fights i will NOT be attending this event. Why pay to see the same fight twice that will end up on a split decision for franklin which will set up a III fight in the next 6 months, makes no sense. I will be skipping this event and not even order it on paper view. All the great fights are scheduled around the dallas event 101,102,104 are all good fights. Dana freakin pay Fedor to whoop lesnar’s arse you cheap bastard otherwise he’s going back to Japan.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m from Dallas too and I will definitely be there for this event. How can you say this card sucks? It’s not as stacked as the other cards, but there are still quite a few quality fights. Regardless of if the fight makes sense or not, Dan Henderson and Rich Frankin are both badasses and anytime they fight it will be worth watching. And by the way, Dana White offered Fedor around 1.5 million per fight, so he’s not being a cheap bastard. Do a little research before you go bashing somebody

• fanoftna33 says:

This card has shaped up to be pretty decient. Swick vs Kampmann has dont blink written all over it but I predict second round tko for Swick.
    I cant wait to see Trigg back in the ufc, this gives the ww divison a much needed shot of attitude. Hpoefully fighting at the higher weight class will prepair him for Koscheck’s power.
    Tyson Griffin should be able to take decision over a returing Hermes Franca, who’s olny chance looks to be his big right hand. I just dont see Griffin getting tapped out.
    Cro Cop has a tough fight ahead against Dos Santos, but dont forget how much hype was behind a untested Houston Alexander, look for Cro Cops experience to take over.
    Sherk vs Tibau should be fun I hope Sherk gets back to his winning ways, but Tibau wont be a easy fight, he may be able to match Sherks strength and with his reach this could be a upset.

• edub says:

I got Swick by tko 1 round.

Kos by dec or late tko. (I have no idea why they would make this fight for Franks first back at 170.)

Griffin by dec.

CroCop by tko in a lopsided affair.

Sherk by late tko. I think this ones gonna be a beating.

Oh and Franklin by dec.

• metalmulisha says:

Kimo is in fact alive. I think you guys might want to put a piece up about it.
    You posted he was dead before the facts were even in. At least now post he is in fact among the living.

• bizzarmg says:

I would rather see hendo vs silva 2…their first fight was kinda boring if you ask me. Nothing against either fighter, rich is one of my favorite fighters and hendo just coming off that win over bisbing made me like him a little bit more but everybody else is right. This fight wouldn’t really do anything for Hendo if he wins. As for rich, the UFC usually lets a fighter get a shot at the title after two wins over top contenders. So if rich wins this it would be cool to see him fight Lyoto Machida again. Maybe he’ll beat him this time.

• bizzarmg says:

p.s. if rich were to move to back down to MW then it would be cool to see him fight silva again and really change it up and beat him since he lost twice. Its possible it happenend with rampage.

• Jstew3785 says:

Bizzarmg- Rich, the UFC, Anderson Silva have all said that they have no interest in Silva-Franklin III. Did you see the first 2 fights? Not too cool for Franklin if you ask me. I like Rich but he’s really in a crappy position right now. He doesn’t want to cut weight to fight at MW and he knows he can’t beat Silva so what’s the point. I really don’t see him doing anything at LHW either. Lose-Lose situation if you ask me

• Being from Dallas, I was hoping they’d pull out all the stops for their first trip to Big D (Columbus got Sylvia/Couture, Philly got Penn/Florian and Forrest/Silva, Portland got Big Nog/Couture).

What we got is a really solid card with some interesting, albeit shortsighted matchups.

I’m still excited and I’m hopefully still going to go.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sergio- My thoughts exactly. I was hoping they would do something huge, but instead we get an entertaining, albeit the most pointless main event ever. I’ll see you up there though. I wouldn’t miss this one for anything.