Dana White: ‘[Brock Lesnar] just went nuts and flipped out’

brock_lesnar_wins_ufc_title

UFC President Dana White had his entire world flipped upside down inside the octagon at UFC 100 as his heavyweight champion, and biggest draw in the history of the UFC, took the opportunity to bash the promotion’s top sponsor for the event.

“I’m going to go home, I’m going to drink a Coors Light,” said Brock Lesnar following his recent mugging of Frank Mir. “That’s a Coors Light, because Bud Light won’t pay me nothing.”

According to White during a recent interview on espn1100.com, the outburst left him more shocked than anyone.

“Listen, I don’t tell people how to talk or what to say, but there was two things that I don’t like,” said Dana when asked about Brock’s post fight antics. “Obviously going after the sponsor was out of left field and the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard. I don’t know what that was all about.

“The second thing is, going up and getting in Frank Mir’s face after you’ve already decimated the guy, it’s not what we’re about. I never tell anyone how to act or how to be, but that’s out of line.”

When questioned about Lesnar flipping off the crowd and playing the villain after the bout White said he’s got no problem with that, just leave his sponsors alone.

“If you don’t want any of the fans to like you, I could care less,” admitted White. “You want to be a bad guy, be a bad guy, I don’t care. Don’t be the bad guy that did what you did to Bud Light out of the blue for no reason.”

Of course when most of us heard Lesnar’s off the wall statement about celebrating with a Coors Light because Bud Light wouldn’t pay him anything we assumed there had been some behind the scenes negotiations that may have fallen through between Lesnar’s people and Bud Light. According to Dana White, that’s the true shocker of the whole ordeal; they never even spoke.

“You want to hear the crazier part of this whole thing,” asked Dana. “His people have never even talked to, or approached Bud Light, ever. That’s the crazier part. I could see if Bud Light had disrespected him is some way and he just went nuts and flipped out.”

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Brock = Idiot

He thinks he is the baddest man on the planet right now and I cant wait to see someone put him to SLEEP.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

…and THAT is why Lesnar is making $500,000 per fight and has captured the public’s fascination. Whether you love him or hate him you STILL want to see him. Booing or cheering, if a fighter puts asses in the seats he’s done his job.

• GetItOn says:

I don’t remember Dana White saying anything about Cole Miller getting in Junie Browning’s face after he beat him. Weird!

• rediknight says:

I wonder if Brock’s camp talks to him at all about post-fight antics and interviews. This is not the first time he has been criticized. Either way from a fan perspective, I try not to let little things like that affect me too much.

It cracks me up when some fans say they are done with the UFC all because of one fighters actions after a win. You never know what you would do really unless you are in that situation and in their shoes.

• redness says:

Cant wait for Carwin to smash him.

• s00nertp says:

I’d also like to see him vs Carwin… I want to see Lesnar to get tested against a real striker.

• bizzarmg says:

You all know that when he said that stuff it was hilarious. He sounded like a retard. He still has so much WWE in him its unbelieveable, but he apologized for all the stuff he said in the post fight interview and said that he didn’t mean to get in Mir’s face and that he’s got nothing against him except for the fact that he beat him once. I want to see Randy vs Brock 2. I think Randy would beat him if they fought again.

• Patrickk says:

Brock is a beast! Congrats on the victory! However, I agree 100% with what Shane Carwin has said about Brock. Man that was not a good thing to do at UFC 100…and really at any UFC event. Especially with the sponsors man. You just don’t do that. Bud Light is funnelling in heavy millions to be the biggest sponsor in the center of the canvas! If I was Dana White I’d at least put him on a suspension so that way it will be somewhat saving face for the situation.

…That’s just my opinion though.

• cage_rage says:

The guy has no class whatsoever nor does he understand what being a champion is all about. They shouldn’t give him a microphone.

Also, I don’t think Randy would win a second match-up. Brock’s size and strength overpowers skill and technique. However, Carwin is big enough to even things out little and test that suspect chin.

• mu_shin says:

Can’t really see how anyone would say Brock’s chin is suspect: no one has hit him hard enough to knock him down and test it. Randy cut him, but I can’t remember anyone else connecting that hard.

Personally, couldn’t care less about the antics before or after the fight. Interested exclusively in what happens from bell to bell in the cage, and so far, Brock Lesnar is taking care of business in the octagon.

Very curious about how Lesnar will approach a match with Shane Carwin. Carwin is an experienced wrestler, a powerful striker as we all saw in the Gonzaga fight, and Shane can take a punch. It will be interesting to see if Brock will try and stand with Carwin and trade punches and kicks, or if he will try to take Carwin down and apply the ground and pound as he did in the Mir match. Carwin is closer in size and strength to Lesnar, and hits much harder than Mir, so perhaps we’ll get to see a fighter confident enough to stand in against Brock and try to lay some heavy leather on that big mug. Always a risk however, because getting close enough to hit means getting close enough to get hit…

• shotokai_ says:

Agreed; Brock has been hit properly once – the Faber-esque knee by Mir – and it landed flush, and he faltered for about half a second before regaining his composure enough to take Mir down, almost instantly. There is no way anyone can realistically call his chin suspect. If I had to, I would actually predict that Lesnar has a very solid chin.
    Mu_shin I too am very curious about the Carwin vs Lesnar fight. Safe to presume that you are picking Carwin over Velasquez, then? Big Shane would be mine. The only way he will lose is if his cardio is much than worse than what he says it is. But I think he can go three rounds, just.
    I think against Carwin Lesnar would come in to the fight planning to stand, as he did against Mir, but after taking a shot will attempt to take the fight to the floor, as he also did against Mir. I imagine it will be a brutal grappling contest between two giant dudes. I do however think that Lesnar is bigger (just), more powerful (just) and considerably more athletic and quicker than Carwin; and so after a first round stalemate I think Lesnar would be able to dictate where the fight takes place. But Carwin could always catch him on the feet, and he’s got some sick power. I want this fight now.