Dana and Tito Bury the Hatchet

danawhite

One of the deepest and longest running feuds in the history of mixed martial arts has officially met it’s end.

Believe it or not, there is no longer any bad blood between UFC President Dana White and former UFC champion Tito Ortiz.

Ortiz spoke of a recent meeting between the two during Thursday’s edition of TapouT Radio.

“I had a conversation with Dana last week, me and him spoke,” revealed Ortiz. “We were really, really good friends at a point. We were best friends at a point. Everything got mucked up because of the fight game.

“I wanted to be a man and kind of squash things between me and him, and wish him luck in his journey, and he did the same to me. So we kind of amended with each other and squashed things. Which is great because Dana showed the type of person he is by apologizing to me, and vice versa.”

Tito’s comments were confirmed shortly thereafter by Dana White himself via his Twitter account.

“Yes, Tito and I made up,” tweated White.

So that’s it, Tito’s returning to the UFC, right? Not so fast says Dana.

“Doesn’t mean he’s back,” he posted on his official account. “It means we aren’t smashing each other anymore and we don’t hate each other.”

So what’s up with Tito? Where’s he fighting next?

According to Ortiz, anything’s possible in the near future, but he did say he expects to fight before the end of the year.

“I’m in negotiations with Strikeforce, and of course I would love to get the deal done, I’m still kind of waiting,” explained Ortiz during his recent appearance on TapouT Radio. “The UFC’s not out of the picture, Affliction’s not out of the picture. I’m just kind of sitting back and playing the free role right now.”

In other news, hell has frozen over.

• GetItOn says:

Damnit to Hell!

• dpk says:

yeah, Hell might have just frozen over, but it doesn’t really sound like Tito coming back to UFC right away. I think it would be a good fit at this point though. I could see Tito v Franklin at 103, Even though I’d rather see either of those guys against Cane. I’m sure Dana is looking for a big name headline to put up against the Mayweather PPV the same night.

• MMASwami says:

So many really good fights left for him in the UFC so it’d be great if he can get something done with them. If not, there are still a couple of intriguing matches than can take place in Strikeforce or Affliction, like against Babalu, Moussai, Nogueira or maybe even King Mo 😛

• antone3x7 says:

Tito Ortiz sells fights, so a reconciliation with UFC would be best for both. If they give him an easy fight to win, that could get the Tito Ortiz hype wagon at full speed again, so any fight they do afterwards would sell big. Franklin would be a dangerous opponent for his first fight back.

• s00nertp says:

I havent been a Tito fan as far as his fighting style for years… i think he sucks to watch.

As a coach on the show, he was incredible. His personality seems good, he respects his fans, loves the sport, etc.

It is like hearing nails on a chalk board when I watch him fight though. I cant take it.

• s00nertp says:

It is worth noting… I saw some of his earliest matches & he was a beast! His G&P was sick aggressive and I couldnt get enough. Somewhere the style changed and didnt appeal to me anymore.

• redness says:

The UFC is where he belongs and should stay. He should also be put into the the HOF with the next class.

• redness says:

I would like to see him fight Babalou but.

• shotokai_ says:

They should keep him in the UFC. Whatever Dana thinks/thought, whatever the fans think, however he has performed recently, whatever he has lost in ability: Tito Ortiz will still sell tickets.
    With the alternative of Strikeforce and their lacking LHW div, I think the UFC would be able to negotiate a new contract for considerably less than what he was paid before. Maybe 100/100, or 150/150. Which is worth his appeal, in my opinion.
    And another thing to keep in mind – he may have changed his style, become much more boring etc, but his most recent poor performances in the UFC have been against fighters who were peaking in his division; Forrest Griffin – future champ. Rashad Evans – future champ. Lyoto Machida – future champ and looking unstoppable. Although Ortiz definitely looks more beatable now I think he’d still be a top 7/8 LHW in the UFC should he sign. So it makes sense for both parties, do it!

• Jstew3785 says:

PlagueAngel…… Where you at? I can’t believe you haven’t been bouncing off the walls when you heard this. I know how much you hate Tito

• PlagueAngel says:

I have been out of town! Up North at the cabin in MN enjoying the wildlife! I think its great to makeup feuds. However, I do believe the best future for Ortiz would be out of the UFC at this point in his career. His fight game needs evolution and I think he could pose a few problems for many fighters outside the UFC which include Sobral. He could rack up a couple of wins and get some things going and then perhaps make a big return to the big show. Plus I don’t think he is worth the pricetag at this point without any wins in almost three years. Trying to be optimistic here…what do you guys think?

• Kamakosmo says:

I was just wondering when you were gonna be making a quote ’bout your boy Ortiz? LOL! Bottom line with Ortiz is, who is going to pay him the most. Let’s not mince words here, he’s way past making statements and wanting to prove crap. He’s in it for the money. He was AWESOME as a coach on TUF, probably the best. But right now, IMHO, he wants the cash, and who can blame him.

• bizzarmg says:

Tito does sell tickets but he hasn’t shown much promise in his last couple fights. If he comes back that’ll be cool especially against a guy like Rich Franklin but I think he would lose. I kinda wanna see Tito fight Rampage for some reason, I think he would lose that too, I just think it would be a good fight.

• Patrickk says:

I read it on the twitter. I don’t necessarily care to see Tito inside the UFC anymore though. It’s so many great fighters that have great draws, they don’t need Tito.

• […] this week Five Ounces had reported on the fact that Dana and Tito had met amends, but at the time White was quoted on his Twitter account as saying, “Doesn’t mean he’s back. […]