Greg Jackson: ‘Hit him with your groin!’

Georges

One of the biggest victories in Georges St.Pierre‘s decorated fighting career didn’t come easy for the UFC welterweight champion.

An already tough fight got a little bit tougher for GSP in the fourth round of his UFC 100 title defense against Thiago Alves as he unexpectedly tore something in his groin.

According to St.Pierre on his UFC 100 blog for Yardbarker.com, the pain was excruciating. Luckily for him, he had one of the best trainers in the business to go back to between rounds, and Greg Jackson had some Yoda-like words of wisdom that helped GSP to push through the pain.

“The fight is going well until the fourth round when I try an arm-bar from his back and something happened…I felt my right abductor cracking…something went wrong. I hear the noise of the ligament ripping. I end up in my guard and Thiago Alves landing big shot on me. I hold his head down, I wrap his arm, protect myself and I make a prayer in my head: “Please God, help me to get out of this situation, I work so hard to win this fight and give me the strength to keep going and fight well.” I found a way to stand up – I pushed my thighs and pushing in his hips and I stand back up, and even though I’m in a lot of pain I keep fighting.

“Round four, when I came back in my corner I told my trainer Greg Jackson that I pulled my groin. All of my trainers are very worried. Greg Jackson answers back to me, “I don’t care! This is how champions are made! Fight on it and hit him with your groin! I thought I was kind of funny (afterward) but it was not funny during the fight.”

Humorous or not, St.Pierre found the testicular fortitude between rounds to propel him onwards to victory.

Would something as petty as a grotesquely torn groin prevent the welterweight champ from partying like a rock star following his most recent title defense? Forget about it. GSP is a warrior in more ways than one.

“The next day I went at a pool party at Rehab with all my friends who came to support me. We had a booth (cabana) and it was great spot in the place. I drank so much that I forgot my whole name. It was very cool because at one time, Thiago Alves showed up with his entourage and came in my booth (cabana) and drinking with me and congratulate me for the fight. I thought he was a class act and that prove that he was a real professional athlete and a real good person and a gentleman. I really appreciated it, he’s a great fighter and also a great gentleman, and we had a good time drinking together. John Fitch showed up as well, and we celebrate together our victories.”

• Kamakosmo says:

Tough Guy and a class act.

• mikefab says:

I wonder if the drinking is a new thing. In the “Penn-St. Pierre Countdown” shows GSP said that does not drink. Maybe he meant only during training. I just hope he was drinking Bud Light.

• edub says:

Thats awesome that the three of them were partying together. Woulda been even better if I was hammered partyin with them too.

• Rich S. says:

My friends and I thought we heard him say “Hit him with your groin!”..

We all started laughing, but then we just wrote it off, we figured he said something else..

that’s hilarious..

• russony84 says:

Sweet article! GSP is the man!! i have so much more respect for Alves now!!! He da man too!!!!

• Angry Mike says:

I always hear fighters say they learn from their losses. Hopefully Alves will reevaluate and work on his wrestling and submissions. If he could add that to his ridiculous striking power, he’d be a much better all around fighter. GSP’s wrestling makes everybody look weak, but even allowing for that Alves looked one-dimensional.

• PlagueAngel says:

I think Alves should have pushed the pace a bit against Georgie. When he did he was successful, but the takedowns really changed the pace. Now Alves and Fitch can fight and we can see how well Alves will learn wrestling after his training and also with Fitch and his technical boxing. The rest of the blog is also good and you can get the link on Joe Rogan’s twitter page.

• notdanawhite says:

“I drank so much that I forgot my whole name”

my nig

“hit him with your groin”

a new classic

• Hitman Hartnell says:

Good to hear stories about old foes drinking together, though I cant see anyone having Lesnar into their cabana in the near future.

• dpk says:

Yeah, I laughed out loud when I heard Greg Jackson say that.

Alves and Fitch are both still young and good, they could fight for the title a couple of years down the road, they just need to get back on some quality win streaks. Good to see that they are true sportsmen and can separate what happens in the cage from outside of it.

• Patrickk says:

A true business man is GSP. Greg Jackson is a true coach. What else could you say to a man in another huge and pivotal fight in his career? You don’t wanna sympathize, because then in the fighter’s head they will realize they are injured. The main point was to have GSP not think about it as much as possible. So what better way to not think something is hurt than to tell someone to hit them with it???

Lol…now I don’t know if he said it unvoluntarily as he was probably like omg GSP doesn’t need to be saying that right now, or if he has situations like that already rehearsed, but it is hilarious that he said that. And it must have worked, because I never knew GSP was hurt at anytime during that fight.

Although, I must say, I am now questioning GSP’s ability to defend himself once he gets taken down.