Rickson Gracie: ‘It would take me longer to submit Fedor than it would [Brock Lesnar]’

ricksonFifty year old eighth degree Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Rickson Gracie has seen his fair share of controversy following his last professional fight in May of 2000.

The mythical submission specialist has claimed to possess a fighting record somewhere in the range of 400-0.

Rickson caught quite a bit of backlash following comments made to Tokyo Sports in which he stated that heavyweight king Fedor Emelianenko had “so-so” technical ability.

The native of Brazil recently revealed to The Rio de Janeiro Times that he feels confident that he would come out on top of a match-up between himself and Brock Lesnar or Fedor, regardless of his age or nine year layoff.

However, Rickson does admit that it would likely take him a little bit longer to submit “The Last Emperor”.

“[Brock Lesnar] is impressive as an athlete, but he has holes in his game like anybody else,” said Gracie. “Technically, he is not as good as Fedor.

“It would take me longer to submit Fedor than it would him

“I am not worried about his abilities. Whether he punches at me on the ground or standing, it is only a matter of time. In some ways, it is easier if he tries to punch at me standing. All the simpler to take him down. It ends in an armbar or a strangle regardless”

• cocoonofhorror says:

wow he is batshit crazy.

• shotokai_ says:

typically delusional gracie

• hindsightufuk says:

gotta love rickson, dude is still in damn good shape as well

• JBAR says:

I would watch both fights. Won’t happen though, I don’t see Rickson signing a multi fight deal.

• It would also take Lesnar a lot longer to pound out Fedor than it would Rickson Gracie.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Delusional? How about just plain stupid. STUPID! Take Brock down? This guy is a jackass. He couldn’t take a puch from Brock, bottom line, let alone “weather the storm.” Jackass

• metalmulisha says:

shotokai_”typically delusional gracie”

Well said.

• PlagueAngel says:

Good statements MMAMoneyLine/Ozz.
    I was a student at one of his schools and his family theories are the reason why I left. Gi Jiu-Jitsu is lame and the theories of Hickson are obsolute. Even though he teaches good techniques and body health, the evolution of mixed martial arts are ever changing. Hickson also had lots of time to fight when he was younger and he still can fight. He continues to judge other fighters without actively fighting which is annoying. I heard in 08 that he would fight for the “right price” which is lame. Fight, then judge.

• Gurthee says:

No offense, but I think he’s taken a few too many upside his head. Both would put him to sleep before he had a chance to try a sub. 400-0? Ok Superman. I think all of the Gracies are delusional. Sure you all are major contributors to the world of BJJ and MMA but c’mon, get a grip.

• The day MMA sites stop paying attention to Rickson’s ridiculous claims will be a happy day for me.

No one cares about the old man anymore. He should spend less time talking about how he can submit the best fighters in the world and more time trying to convince everyone that Ron Tripp didn’t drop him on his ass to beat him.

— twitter.com/sergio_tx

• Angry Mike says:

Gotta hype the family brand. Mind on his money and his money on his mind.

• edub says:

Rickson never wanted to fight Sakuraba in his prime let alone the giants of the division today.

I would pay a lot of money to see him fight Dan Severn.

• Rich S. says:

Shoot.. I believe the 400-0 thing.. I mean, it could be against horrible competition, or merely Jiu Jitsu matches.. It could even be including street fights (he seems to use random punks to prove the power of GJJ)..

I’ve only seen him fight like 2 or 3 times, and he was extremely strong, fast, and just bewildered his opponents..

But, honestly, he would lose to Fedor AND Brock.. ESPECIALLY NOW that he’s old.. I’m sure his BJJ hasn’t changed, but his chin most definitely has..

Sure, these are crazy claims as it is, but they’re even crazier when coming from an older man, who hasn’t competed in a decade..

• I want what he’s smokin’! Hits from the bong, baby.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I could do it but him…never!.

• Patrickk says:

I kind of believe him, and then on the other hand, I’m like, okay you’re 50 years old. I’d like to see them in a submission grappling match. I don’t think Rickson would last in a real MMA match against either one of them though.

• Satori says:

It is easy for people who are arm chair athletes to post comments and crude remarks about different fighters. Theodore Roosevelt once said,
    “It’s not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.”—Theodore Roosevelt

On another note… Having trained with Rickson Gracie and his instructors for over 12 years, I can tell you that he is even better than he was in 2000 during his last professional fight. I don’t doubt that Rickson could take on and beat either of those fighters. However, he has nothing left to prove to anyone, in my opinion. The hard thing about being a professional fighter is that there will always be haters no matter how many times you prove yourself. Eventually, age catches up with all of us. It is part of life. The problem with today’s generation is that they don’t “respect” the aging population the way people used to. What about his past accomplishments? That should count for something, right? Every fighter deserves the option of retirement at some point in their career. This is especially true of someone like Rickson Gracie because of all that he has done.

If Rickson were to choose to fight again, then great. If he chooses to stay in retirement then people should respect that. The man is 50 years old. Rickson is a legend and those who have had the opportunity to be on the mat with him know how good he still is. Those who have not, will keep on guessing “what if”, or hating. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t add to or take away from the man, the legend, Rickson Gracie. Show some respect.