Four fights official for UFC 103 in Dallas; still searching for a main event

efrain escudero

Four bouts including Tyson Griffin vs. Hermes Franca, Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg, Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller, and Mike Swick vs. Martin Kampmann have been set in stone by the Ultimate Fighting Championship for UFC 103.

The event is set to take place in Dallas, Texas on September 19 from the American Airlines Center.

UFC President Dana White has also recently confirmed a heavyweight bout between Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Junior dos Santos for UFC 103 to Yahoo! Sports.

Griffin will be looking to win his sixth fight in the UFC’s lightweight division in his last seven bouts as he takes on Franca who will be looking to win his second straight fight in the UFC after suffering back to back losses.

Koscheck hopes to get back in the win column following his shocking knockout defeat at the hands of Paulo Thiago during UFC 95 when he faces off with Trigg who has won his last four fights outside of the octagon. This will be Trigg’s first return to the UFC since suffering a submission defeat to current welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 54.

TUF 8 lightweight winner Escudero hopes to keep his undefeated record intact as he butts heads with a dangerous submission artist in Miller.

The winner of the welterweight bout between Swick and Kampmann will likely be pushed that much closer to a future title shot with St. Pierre as both men have racked up multiple impressive victories at 170 pounds.

The UFC has yet to announce a main event for the card.

• Rich S. says:

all great fights..

• mmajosh says:

I really wish Swick would get a title shot already, he’s deserved it for a long time now. This looks like it will be a really good card. Also I wish we would see more HW and LHW fights, it seems we’ve kind of gotten away from them in the past few years. Cards are stacked 170 and 155, decent amount of 185 and then a 205 and up here and there. Just my opinion though…

• I racked my brain for a potential opponent for Franklin at 205 that would generate interest and I only came up with one: Tito Ortiz.

Hey, it could happen.

— twitter.com/sergio_tx

• edub says:

Rich vs. Luiz Cain would be a great fight, but I dont think it is main event worthy because Cain is not known well enough yet.

Rich vs. Shogun would’ve been perfect IMO.

• PlagueAngel says:

No more Tito in the UFC! The badboy needs to revamp his career in Strikeforce. Luiz Cain has all the tools to give Rich a tough night.

• edub says:

agreed.

• metalmulisha says:

Tito Ortiz was banned from the UFC 100 Fan Expo. He’s not going back to the UFC.

• Does Tito still fight?

• PlagueAngel says:

Where did you read that the badboy was banned from the fan expo? I think Ortiz could be back in the UFC if he dominates everyone outside the organization. But that whole scenario is highly unlikely. Tito claims he wants to fight for the right organization and fair money offer. How much did he make against the loss verses Machida?

• PlagueAngel says:

Jesus, I just checked how much Tito made on the lackluster performance against Machida. 210k for the loss. That has to be the reason the UFC dumped him, that is a lot of money.

• shotokai_ says:

@ biggmoney21: Tito is still going to fight but hasn’t since he lost to Machida in the UFC. He underwent a heavy back surgery operation and in recovering from that has been negotiating with different org’s, and is favoured to sign with Strikeforce.

• shotokai_ says:

And a suggestion for the main event:
    A Chuck Liddell retirement fight against Houston Alexander! Haha, won’t happen but I’d love to see Chuck knock someone the f*ck out one last time, announce his retirement and then get a standing ovation as he walks out.
    Alexander and Brian Stann are the only two LHW’s I can think of off the top of my head that would stand up, lose the fight and aren’t/haven’t been tied into any other fights.

• metalmulisha says:

PlagueAngel “Where did you read that the badboy was banned from the fan expo? I think Ortiz could be back in the UFC if he dominates everyone outside the organization. But that whole scenario is highly unlikely. Tito claims he wants to fight for the right organization and fair money offer.”

• Patrickk says:

It goes Griffin, Koscheck (even though I don’t like him), Escudero, and hopefully Swick.

…At least that’s what I’m hoping.