Shane Carwin: ‘[Brock] has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a champion’

Shane Carwin Pic

There are one of two people that will be facing UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar in his next outing.

Heavyweight wrecking machines Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez have a date with destiny on October 24 at UFC 104 as the two undefeated¬†goliaths will face off with one another to determine which is the decisive threat to Lesnar’s crown. The winner has been promised a title shot.

According to a recent blog posting on shane-carwin.com, the powerhouse from Colorado was far from impressed with Lesnar’s antics following his UFC 100 destruction of Frank Mir.

“I cannot say I was surprised by anything that night other then Brock’s reaction to beating a very tough Frank Mir,” Carwin was quoted as saying in the blog. “Frank is a legend and a great guy who got out powered not out classed. The sponsor issue, you need to talk to your manager, not the fans or Dana.

“The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just LAME. He may be a Champion but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a Champion. The fans are why we do this Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama, it is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night. It doesn’t matter how much money you make if you can’t earn your peers respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world. We have no scripts in this sport, no pre-determined earning amount and no pre-determined outcomes. It doesn’t matter if you win or loose it matters how you win or loose.

“Every autograph I give, every hand I shake I am thankful that you give me the opportunity to be a part of your world. This is the greatest sport int he world and most of the athletes in it deserve the love and respect they get and some just don’t get it.”

• thunder okami says:

troof right thurr

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“The fans are why we do this Brock”
    Rubbish! like I try and drum into everyones heads (without success), It is not a popularity contest.
    If the fans boo you I think giving a finger to them is fine…but like I said, it shouldn’t matter what I or Shane ” I’m such a goody 2 shoes” Carwin thinks.
    I mean get some balls you are beating another human being up for Christs sake, you don’t have to be polite.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Let’s face it. Not every champion can be GSP. I know that’s hard for some people, but why, WHY is it that a champion has to act a certain way. These people will be themselves.

Jeez, just let it go. Watch the post fight press and see for yourself. Lesnar himself apologized to Bud Light (funny as hell) and even said he had nothing against Mir. Let’s just get over it. Either that, or go watch The View

• Austin says:

I don’t understand why everyone is getting so butthurt.

• metalmulisha says:

He lost me when he called Frank Mir a legend.

• ace328 says:

They’re butthurt because Lesnar’s hype has people believing that they truly hate him and forget that this is just a sport and a form of entertainment. He’s kinda like the Iron Sheik was in the 80’s in pro wrestling. You just wanted someone to beat the crap out of him.

Lesnar’s probably going to have the belt for a while but it will be that much sweeter when someone eventually steamrolls him imo. I defiantly don’t hate him but can’t wait to see him ko’d!

• G-DUB says:

I don’t disagree with Carwin’s opinions at all, but my advice to him would be to shut up and go about his business…quietly. If anything can be learned from Sat night, it’s that you don’t want to piss off a mean-spirited beast of a man.
    If Carwin handles his business against Velasquez, he too will have the opportunity to be a victim of Lesnar’s. It’s amusing to me that people see Carwin as the next savior, prone to take the title away from the big bad man. What has Carwin done in his professional career to make anyone believe that he has more than a puncher’s chance against Lesnar?? Lesnar is way too quick and aggressive for this turtle. Even with Carwin’s wrestling background, I have no doubt that Lesnar will be able to take him down with ease and mash him to a bloody pulp like he’s done to the rest.

• dpk says:

Carwin needs to focus on his fight with Velasquez, once he handles that, then he can worry about getting into the trash talk with Lesnar.

Not to mention if, UFC is able to sign Fedor, that just means that Carwin will probably have one more fight (maybe against the Cro Cop v Dos Santos winner) before he gets his title shot.

• gy614x says:

First of all, Carwin has a great chance of winning against both Cain and Brock, this isnt a wrestling match people, we all saw Cains chin against Congo, and Carwin not only has never been beat, but none of his fights made it past the first half of the first round, 11-0 is no joke, i also believe that Carwins Div II wrestling is enough to defend brocks famous double leg.

but regardless of what i say about Carwin, ive given up doubting Lesnar still my predictions are

Carwin over Velasquez by ko/tko in round 1
    and Carwin over Lesnar by ko/tko round 2

• Mbreckles49 says:

Man for all the people slamming Lesnar, how come Lesnar has never talked smack via the internet, yet every other fighter does for press?

“You want sportsmanship? Take your ass to church.”

• Angry Mike says:

Sports in Church? I guess it makes some sense. A minister would have to carry a baseball bat to deal with some of the knuckleheads on this site, and never mind the fighters.

• elkymbo says:

Even if Carwin makes it past Valesquez Brock will destroy him he’s a snail.

• PlagueAngel says:

Yawn, since when is Shane Carwin opinion news? His outspokenness lately or the press covering his words closely have been interesting. The media and fans might paint a future fight with Carwin and Brock into a hero verses villain fight. Since when is 29/30 year old Frank Mir(12-4) a legend?

• egad81 says:

I know I am barking up a tall tree but I think there are a few guys that are going to test Brocks very suspect chin.
    Brock reminds me of the Bob Sapp of years past… a scary to look at type guy but once you find that weak spot it will be there every time.

I see Brock winning 1 or 2 more before losing to smaller guy with a bad ass reputation……

• cocoonofhorror says:

well Brock IS the champion, so i guess we would have to ask him if he respects himself, eh Shane?

• PlagueAngel says:

I suspect that Brock has a descent chin that has been tested already from Couture/Mir. To assume he has a “weak chin” or “suspect chin” is rapidly declining. I do think that a huge punch in the heavyweight division could take out almost everyone though. I’m not trying to single you out “egad81”, but I have a few questions for you!
    1)Where is Lesnars weak spot?
    2)Who are some of these “smaller badass” guys?

I just don’t think of Lesnar/Sapp as similar.

• edub says:

I dont see Brock losing for a very long time. Hes better than Carwin, Velasquez and pretty much every other fighter in the HW division(in all MMA);
    except Fedor.

• Patrickk says:

I totally agree with what Carwin says. We don’t NEED that type of stuff in the UFC. While it is kind of funny and adds a villain to the shark tank of fighters in the HW division; it just doesn’t add anything necessarily GOOD to the UFC. It may get more attention, but it ends up being negative attention because it gives critics an okay to downgrade the caliber of the UFC.

Brock needs his ego broken…please please please bring Fedor into the UFC…and after that, give him Carwin!

• fanoftna33 says:

I think carwin vs brock would be a pretty quick fight, basically whoever landed the first good shot wins the fight.