Henderson, Belcher, Akiyama and Lawlor pull in $100K “Fight Night” bonuses

Dan Henderson, Alan Belcher, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Tom Lawlor each pulled in $100,000 for earning their respective “Fight Night” honors at UFC 100.

The monumental event took place Saturday evening from Las Vegas.

The $100K bonuses were the highest ever given out in the history of the promotion, with the second highest being $70,000 at UFC 97.

Henderson earned his bonus check with an enormous right hand that left Michael Bisping in an unconscious stupor, Akiyama and Belcher beat each other senseless over three rounds to pick up their “Fight of the Night” honors, and Lawlor’s guillotine choke over C.B. Dollaway earned him the hefty bonus.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

A bonus should have been given to Coleman for not expiring before the 3rd round.

In all seriousness though, hats off to Mark. It could not have been more of a perfect time or place to get that win in the UFC.

• KTru says:

• Jak says:

I had Akiyama winning but was surprised that he actually did win. Usually they just listen to who Goldberg and Rogan are hyping and go with that fighter.

However, i really could have seen it going either way. Good fight though, well worth the FOTN.

• Angry Mike says:

Henderson had the ko of the night, at least of the televised fights I watched. Interesting dilemma for the org., though. Bisping has been cultivated by UFC to be its face in the U.K. Henderson destroyed him with little effort. What does UFC do with Bisping now? Furthermore, Henderson gave Bisping a gratuitous and potentially dangerous shot while Bisping was defenseless on the canvas. And then admitted it and joked about it with Rogan. If UFC is worried about the credibility of the org and the sport and the health of its fighters, it seems to me that a penalty is in order, not a bonus.

• PlagueAngel says:

Bisping looked weak also with his striking power. I expected more of Bisping in the fight, especially when his corner was screaming at him to “Circle right”. Then in the next round he got pressured and started to circle left and Hendo timed it perfectly. The extra shot was immediately after the knockdown and we have all seen fighters who DID NOT execute after a knockdown. It happens after most knockouts Mike, people get punched after to seal the deal. He shouldn’t have been a idiot and said it was for fun. He should be fined for saying it.

• Angry Mike says:

Oh, I think Henderson knew Bisping was out when he threw the extra punch. Which, by the way, was with Henderson’s full body weight launched from a standing position. Henderson’s been around long enough to know when he’s nailed somebody, and even if he was just “sealing the deal”, he could’ve leaned over from a standing position and tapped Bisping once or twice rather than launching like he did.

Anyway, my point was more about how it’s addressed by UFC. The last thing it or MMA needs is a serious injury, especially when it’s under questionable circumstances. Henderson’s shot was exactly how that kind of a serious injury happens. If Bisping had been seriously injured, that would be the headline this morning, not the quality of the GSP/Alves fight or any other fight on the card.

• metalmulisha says:

KTru says:”Good thing Belcher got something, since the judges screwed him over. I had Belcher but I am not complaining he lost, that 30-27 score is a disgrace and once again, one judge F’s it up”

Well nothing like contradicting yourself.
    You say he got screwed, but you’re not complaining he lost. Then what are you doing besides complaining he lost?

• BillyWarhol says:

I was Happy to see Hendo Pummel Bisping! Mike’s right Bisping was the UFC Brit Poster Boy + they robbed Matt Hammill of his Win – Nice to see some Justice served by Hendo!! ;))

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fight bonuses are wrong, wrong, wrong. All money should be arranged or paid up front and disclosed. If the Rampage vs Sakuraba and Kimbo vs …? controversy tells us anything it tells us that Dana or whoever should not give their nod of approval (extra money) for a fighter fighting or finishing a certain way. they might as well say you fight the way we want and their will be extra money in it for you and if you don’t…well you might not get that title shot after all.
    As for Belcher Rd 1 =either way, Rd 2 = Akiyama, Rd 3 =either way. So no problems from me.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

MMA-LOGIC, your name once again baffles me.

If they ONLY gave out three Knockout bonues, then you’d have a point. But they give a bonus out to commend fighters who prefer striking, a bonus out to fighters who prefer grappling, and a bonus out to fighters who fight to win, regardless if they finish or not.

How is that “Dana or whoever” playing favorites?

And how in the hell could round 1 of Akiyama/Belcher go either way? That was the ONE definitive round!

• Patrickk says:

I love that word [stupor]! lmao. It really describes it when someone gets knocked out. Unconscious sounds too big. Stupor sounds retarded; which is what they look like when they get KO’ed.

Gotta love the revenge punch to Bisping! The overhand right of death. Man I flipped my lid when I saw it at the bar!

He deserved $200,000 for that KO 😀