Dana White: ‘I want Fedor’

Fedor

The greatest fighter in the world not currently fighting for the UFC may be a little bit closer to winding up with the promotion in the very near future.

It’s no secret that there have been multiple failed attempts to acquire Fedor Emelianenko on the UFC’s part in the past.

The UFC claimed that Fedor’s demands were beyond what they were willing to do, and Fedor’s management has claimed that the UFC’s contract was far too constricting.

UFC president  made it no secret at last night’s post fight press conference to UFC 100 that he wants to see “The Last Emperor” in the octagon sometime very soon.

“This whole Fedor thing that has been going on, and on, and on,” explained White. “I keep saying this and that about him, and he keeps waiting.

“Eventually Fedor’s going to be here. I want Fedor. I want him to come to the UFC.”

All of that sounds fantastic, but how realistic is it that Emelianenko will truly end up inside of a UFC cage?

According to Dana, it’s not even a question. As a matter of fact, he already has the legendary heavyweight’s first opponent picked out for him.

I’ll give you a hint, he has a large tattoo on his chest and he loves his beer.

“We’ll get that deal done, and then it will be Brock vs. Fedor, and it will be a huge fight,” said White.

• sigmund says:

Didn’t really sound like Fedor was commin to the UFC anytime soon on his interview with Bas on inside mma on friday. Well here’s to hoping anyway. I would love to see that fight

• Angry Mike says:

After Affliction Trilogy, Fedor will be at a cross roads. I assume he’ll beat Barnett, and then who does he fight outside UFC? Nobody credible that I can think of. At that point he can come into the UFC, clean out the heavyweight division,and eliminate any doubt that he’s the greatest ever. And make a pile of rubles in the process.

• JOEgun says:

Fedor could get smashed. Hope a deal gets worked out in less than a year. Cant wait.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think if he does go to the UFC, he shouldn’t fight brock first. He should fight Randy. Thats the fight everyone HAS been wanting to see.

Then again, if he retains his WAMMA Championship belt, it would be an indirect slap in the face for him to not directly fight for the UFC Title.

I pick him beating Randy, but in all honesty, he wouldnt just get beat by Brock, he would get steamrolled. He’s just not big enough. Enter the arguement for Hong Man Choi– well, guess what: Choi doesn’t move ANYWHERE near as fast and just doesnt have the athleticism, so a size arguement about, “He’s fought big guys in the past” is null and void. Brock moves not just fast, but scary fast. Just my $.02

• PlagueAngel says:

Fedor has no fights left after Barnett. I don’t know what more he has to prove outside the UFC. I wonder if the cage will prevent him from over walking into the UFC? The money will be there for him in the UFC. Maybe he signs with Strikeforce for a Catchweight matchup with Ortiz(as requested by the badboy himself)?

I’m not so sure Lesnar is ready for Fedor. I think that he has the tools to beat him, but a few more years would be much better for Brock.

• Orwell says:

I’m willing to facilitate a compromise. If Fedor can give up Sambo for the duration of his UFC contract, the UFC won’t hold exclusive, perpetual rights over his fighter personage. Oh, and if he’s undefeated he can leave at the end of his contract. Is that an OK trade?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Carwin, Valasquez, Lesnar, Kongo, Dos Santos, Mir.
    or
    Overeem, Monson, Kharitonov, Rogers, Werdum, Buentello.
    Hmmmm I think there are just as credible opponents out of the UFC thanks Mike.
    But I agree it would be great to see Lesnar fight Fedor…in Affliction. Oh that wont happen will it…so why should it have to happen the other way around?.

• Austin says:

Can you guys PLEASE start using this picture for fedor: http://mmanytt.se/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/fedor_wanderlei_hats_hair.jpg

• redwire says:

@Austin

I was very hesitant to click on your link, but after doing so, I am forced to agree with you. That photo should be the official Fedor shot. Wand too, for that matter.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“Overeem, Monson, Kharitonov, Rogers, Werdum, Buentello.”

The winner of Overeem/Werdum would be a good opponent. The loser falls to the wayside.

Kharitonov is coming off a loss and a fight with Monson would be as interesting as watching grass grow.

Please tell me you’re kidding about Rogers and Buentello. Please.

• dpk says:

Unlike most people, I don’t blame UFC for not signing Fedor, I blame Fedor for letting his management make stupid demands. For the amount of money that UFC has offered Fedor in the past, Fedor could hold underground Sambo tournaments in his basement if he really wants to compete in Sambo that much. The contract that they offered Fedor is what set off the contract dispute with Randy (Read Randy’s book if you don’t believe me). Randy was pissed that they offered Fedor, who has never fought for UFC so much money, around $1.5 million a fight, not to mention how much he could make in sponsorship with the Zuffa promotional machine behind him. I want this to get done, the best fights for Fedor are going to be UFC. Lesnar, Randy, Carwin, Mir, and Dos Santos could all be big time fights for Fedor over the next 18 months, assuming he beats all of those guys. The fights in UFC I find much more interesting than those outside of UFC.

To Sergio Hernandez, I understand what you are saying on Buentello, I have no interest in seeing him fight Fedor, but Rogers is big, strong, confident, and improving, he is a legit fight for any HW right now, even though I am anxious to see his next fight to make sure he passes his “Houston Alexander” test, that is his big fight after winning a big fight.

• Angry Mike says:

Rogers is an interesting prospect, but you can’t seriously believe he’s ready for Fedor at this point. Buentello isn’t in the same league as the top tier in UFC, and neither is Monson. Fedor handles the rest without breaking a sweat. Maybe that’s how it turns out in the UFC, too, but he gets more exposure and probably more money.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“Rogers is big, strong, confident, and improving, he is a legit fight for any HW right now, even though I am anxious to see his next fight to make sure he passes his “Houston Alexander” test, that is his big fight after winning a big fight.”

Rogers is currently a victim of a disease the Internet Fighting Community constantly suffers from: What’ve You Done For Me Lately-itis. His KO of Arlovski is fresh on everyone’s mind but his humiliating display against Abongo Humphrey seems forgotten.

I have nothing against Rogers, personally. I’m sure he’s a great guy and he trains hard. But having watched the latter half of his career, I can tell you with utmost certainty that he is in no way ready for Fedor and he likely never will be.

• Miguel Antonio says:

The answer to this is one word, its a word that makes big, fan favorite fights possible in Boxing all the time, it literally happens all the time. Co or cross promotion!!! The UFC wont let it happen because they too greedy, period.

• Miguel Antonio says:

Its sad but true.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I wasn’t saying that Buentello and Monson were as good as Fedor but they have more cred than Kongo or Dos Santos.

• Patrickk says:

Dana, believe me, you’re going to have to give up something in order to get Fedor. He is getting paid MILLIONS on just the pay for fighting, I’m sure that doesn’t include any gate revenue or things of that nature. Then, when you look at the fact that they pretty much get to run the other organizations by doing Sambo and having rights to their videos, it gives them so much freedom that they don’t want taken away from them just to be in the UFC.

Come to a conclusion so we can get Fedor in the UFC and stop all of this madness!

• fanoftna33 says:

the last time they tried to get fedor dana stated that he offered him the largest contract ever, and still fedor wouldnt take it.