Dana White: ‘Don’t wait for tomorrow’

danawhite

Dana White has been absolutely instrumental in establishing the Ultimate Fighting Championship as the premier mixed martial arts promotion on the planet.

The type of success that White has reaped within the industry isn’t just handed to you.

It’s no mystery that the president of the UFC had the good fortune of being close friends with the Fertitta brothers, but any successful businessman will tell you; It takes a little bit of luck, and a whole lot of hard work to get the things you desire in life.

According to White, insomnia has a great deal to do with the relentless drive that has pushed him throughout his career with the UFC.

“I sleep probably three to six hours a night. The great thing about me is I don’t require a lot of sleep,” said White in a recent interview with The Las Vegas Review-Journal. “I don’t like sleeping. It actually bothers me. I wake up a lot. I’m always thinking about what needs to be done.

“The only thing that’s holding this business back right now, the reason we’re not growing faster than we already are, is because there’s not enough time in the day, and other people have to sleep. That’s really our biggest enemy right now is time.”

It’s White’s passion for the sport that keeps him awake at night. Not his hunger for power, or money. Dana just loves his job, it’s as simple as that.

“I love this business,” explained White. “I love what I do. It’s not work to me; it’s fun. I literally could do anything that I want to do. I’ve obviously made enough money. There isn’t anything I would rather do than the UFC, go to work or talk about work. It’s actually pretty (expletive) pathetic, to be honest.”

It’s never been all about the money for White. Just prior to getting involved in the fight game he was pulling in a solid sixty grand a year working as a bellman at a Boston hotel.

Although Dana was making a good living working at the hotel, according to him, doing something he hated just wasn’t living.

“I hated that job,” admitted White. “One day I was standing in the lobby in the monkey suit, waiting for people to come down and take their bags, and I was thinking, ‘Is this my life? What the (expletive) am I doing here?’

“I said, ‘I don’t care about money. I don’t care if I never make a dime. If I can just make enough to eat and live, I’ll be happy.’

“If you hate your job and you’re miserable getting up and going to work every day, what are you waiting for? Do it right now. Don’t wait for tomorrow. Half the battle is knowing exactly what you want to do.”

• fanoftna33 says:

and knowing is half the battle, is how it is supposed to go.

• edub says:

GI JOEEE

• Angry Mike says:

Could be the most insightful thing I’ve heard White say. It may be cliche, but it’s also true. Living a life you hate just because of the paycheck is a miserable existence. Rise above.

• shotokai_ says:

respect.

• sigmund says:

words of wisdom… and did dana just go like three paragraphs without droppin’ the F bomb? not badd

• Joker10 says:

his work ethic is definitely something to be admired and as fans of mma we should be grateful for his and the fertitas’ belief in the sport and tireless efforts to grow it.

on a side note, if he chromed his head he could surely pass for destro or his brother :)

• Swim says:

Looking at all Dana has achieved it would be hard for any MMA fan not to be impressed. most of the negitive comments about dana are from people who compare the way Dana runs the UFC with how boxing is promoted (read: run into the ground) or other big league sports are run (massive corperations). The UFC would have died years ago if either of these business models had been applied to the UFC. i doubt there is anyone else who could have done what dana has done with the UFC and no one better to take it into the future.

• GetItOn says:

fanoftna33 says:
    July 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm
    and knowing is half the battle, is how it is supposed to go

Words don’t control us….we control them. If someone wants to put a quote a different way because that’s the way they see it in their mind then “to them more power”.

Great stuff from Dana White. This guy, although not Donald Trump, is an MMA enthusiast’s teacher of bringing wealth and happiness into your life. I look up to him for that reason. He’s very cocky and outspoken but that’s what gets it done for him. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

• cocoonofhorror says:

wow, great fluff piece on D’anus. im sure he is hard.

• cocoonofhorror says:

how many more people could he alienate and offend if they would all just STAY AWAKE FOR IT!

• Jak says:

Hopefully he doesn’t get premature heart problems from continually stressing about things.

• fanoftna33 says:

Getiton I respect Dana White a lot, its just the quote reminded me of the old g i joe psa commercials, its not a knock on Dana.