Cro Cop vs. Junior dos Santos possible for UFC 103

crocop

Fast rising UFC heavyweight Junior dos Santos has recently revealed that he expects to face none other than Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic on September 19.

If dos Santos has his dates correct, that would place the bout at UFC 103.

The Brazilian knockout artist made the revelation during a recent interview with the Brazilian website Portal das Lutas.

He had previously announced that he would be facing Justin McCully at UFC 102 but dos Santos explained that the bout was recently scratched.

“I think I’ll fight September 19,” said the Black House fighter. “They took me off the August 29 show. My opponent’s changed. I’ll probably face Cro Cop. If I beat him I’ll be in really good standing. If that’s truly the case, I’m guaranteed on the main card and in the main event of the evening. If I were to fight now it wouldn’t be on the main card.”

It appears as though the private meeting between Cro Cop and Lorenzo Fertitta must have gone well in Croatia.

Filipovic was previously reported to be departing the UFC in favor of the Japanese DREAM promotion, but the recent news from dos Santos makes it appear as if we will be seeing the return of Cro Cop to the octagon sooner rather than later.

Cro Cop made his initial return to the UFC a successful one at UFC 99 as he stopped Mustapha al Turk by TKO in the first round, while dos Santos is 2-0 in the UFC with first round TKO’s over the likes of Fabricio Werdum and Stefan Struve to his credit.

• edub says:

Great fight for Cro Cop. Not surprising they would make this fight. Jordan Breen is probably livid somewhere.

• GetItOn says:

This is a great matchup for both guys! I think if Dos Santos keeps the pressure on Crocop he will be victorious.

• Rich S. says:

Can you say fireworks?

Dos Santos really is a monster, and deserves his spot in the HW division..

Cro Cop better bring his A game or we could see him on the floor wondering where he is..

• hindsightufuk says:

thats an odd picture of Cro Cop, didnt recognise him at first. i was wondering why Dos Santos was in the Croation colors

• metalmulisha says:

That’s an old picture of Cro Cop from back in the K-1 days.

• Angry Mike says:

This makes it official. Cro Cop is now a gatekeeper.

• Jstew3785 says:

I don’t know about gatekeeper, maybe, maybe not, but he still has a big enough name to peak a lot of interest and draw attention. I personally will be there for this card and cannot wait for this fight. To see a legend like Cro Cop fight in person is going to be amazing. This fight could go either way, but it will definitely be entertaining. I hope to see Cro Cop win by head kick. That would be sweet. I would probably Jizz in my pants. hahahaha

• mac wilson says:

Glad to hear Cro-Cop came back so quick. He needs to take a break from Japan and build a reputation as a real threat again.

He is going to have his hands full with dos Santos.

I agree that Cro-Cop could end up as a gatekeeper though. I don’t know if he has all the tools to ever rule the division.

• edub says:

Man I dont really see anyone on here agreeing with me but I think this is a horrible matchup for Dos Santos. I see him getting picked apart in a fight he is just not ready for yet.

Crocop by tko either late rd 1 early rd 2

• KTru says:

Cro Cop is a shell of his former self. Dos Santos will understand quickly that this fight will need to hit the ground and I am quite sure Big Nog will have a gameplan to take down Mirko.