Nick Diaz vs. Joe Riggs II will be for Strikeforce welterweight championship

nick-diaz1.jpg

A previously announced rematch bout between Joe Riggs (30-10 MMA, 3-2 Strikeforce) and Nick Diaz (20-7 MMA, 2-0 Strikeforce) has now taken on a new meaning: it will be for the first ever Strikeforce welterweight title.

The news of the recently created welterweight title came in a report on MMAWeekly.com and FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently confirmed the championship match-up with sources close to both fighters. An official announcement from the Strikeforce promotion is expected soon.

Riggs and Diaz first met back in 2006 at UFC 57 where Riggs pulled out the unanimous decision victory. In an infamous situation, both fighters were brought to the hospital in Las Vegas to be examined after the bout and continued their brawl. Needless to say, the bad blood between this two is real and can only have grown over the past three years.

Since his departure from the UFC, Riggs has gone 5-2 in fights outside of the organization. Riggs’s latest victory was a unanimous decision over Phil Baroni at a recent Strikeforce event. Since departing the UFC, “Diesel” has made the cut down to 170 pounds from 185.

Diaz, arguably the most controversial MMA fighter on the planet, has also seen a great deal of success and development outside of the UFC. He has most recently had two very dominant performances with victories over Scott Smith and MMA legend Frank Shamrock. Diaz boasts a 6-1 (with one No Decision) record in his past eight bouts.

The lone “no decision” came after the Nevada State Athletic Commission overturned an initial submission victory over Takanori Gomi. In the post fight drug tests, Diaz had tested positive for Marijuana at astonishing levels. So much so that the commission concluded that Diaz must have been under the influence of the drug during the fight.

Diaz vs. Riggs II takes place at “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” on August15. The event will be held at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

The addition of Diaz/Riggs makes for four title fights on the card: Gina Carano vs. Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos (Women’s 145-pound title), Champion Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez (world lightweight title), Champion Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum (world heavyweight title).

• cere says:

I think Diaz will take the win, but if Riggs can pull it off, maybe Shields will stop ducking him, since a title would be on the line.

• vonkrieger says:

So what is up with the “Bad-Ass” Cung Le? Is he only doing really bad movies now?

• Rich S. says:

Diaz should, without a doubt, win this.. and that’s good..

He’s long been one of the best fighters in the game and it’s due time he gets a belt for it.. Hopefully, after winning this (if he does) and defending it a couple times, we can see him make a return to the UFC..

• edub says:

Noooooo stay at MW Nick. Your so much better there. If Nick wins who does he fight next.

• edub says:

NM KJ Noons would be the perfect opponent(media exposure, storyline wise) as his first defense.(If he wins of course).

• redness says:

No way Riggs can hang with Diaz in this one.

• meatloaf says:

Rich S “Diaz should, without a doubt, win this.. and that’s good”.

redness “No way Riggs can hang with Diaz in this one”

I’m beginning to think most people who post comments on mma sites think the sport started like yesterday.
    Riggs WON the first time these guys fought. If you think that Diaz is going to win this time fine I’m not arguing with you, but the comments seem to suggest you not only didn’t see the first fight which Riggs clearly won, but have no clue they even fought before.

• cere says:

meatloaf: if any of them read they article that they commented on, they are aware that they fought before and that Riggs won. Having said that, Diaz just seems to have evolved much more as a fighter. Riggs is very inconsistent and has had his own personal demons to overcome. I really think Diaz will overwhelm him.

• redness says:

Pretty funny that the guy tring to blast doesnt even read before posting. Maybe the dash board light wasnt on or something. Anyway i didnt think a long read was called for so I kept it short and sweet.

• Rich S. says:

Actually, meatloaf, I saw the first fight live..

It was tough, but I thought it could go either way..
    He lost that the same way he’s lost all of his fights.. and that is, he just took too long to mount his attack..

He’s a different fighter now..
    I mean, since that fight, he’s gone 10-2, with quality wins over guys like Tibau, Neer, Scott Smith, and more.. Not to mention Takanori Gomi and Frank freaking Shamrock..

He’s been consistent in showing up in shape and ready to go, for the first time in like 5 years.. and he’s been finishing his opponents in devastating fashion..

Riggs had a few bumps in the road there for a while, but he seems to be back on track now..

• JollyDV says:

Nick has developed the ability to pick his opponents apart. His jabs have won him his last few fights. The only way I see Riggs winning this is if Nick closes his eyes in a delayed blink and Joe gets a huge over hand right in. I would have to check Riggs reach to be sure but I see Nick winning this one by multiple jabs to the face.

• edub says:

Jolly his reach is below average for a guy his height, I do remember that. However, I think his best chance against Diaz is the GnP. I dont see it working out for him though.

• JollyDV says:

Edub, neither do I. He won’t get the chance to take Diaz down, and if he does, Nick’s ground game will nullify anything he can do.

• hindsightufuk says:

much as i love this fight i’m slightly confused as to why Jake Sheilds isnt the one fighting Nick Diaz? does it have anything to do with his open desire to join the UFC?

• Sergio Hernandez says:

hindsight, they trained together.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Or rather, TRAIN in the present tense.

• edub says:

Yep.

I wouldve also liked to see Shields vs Riggs for the ww belt instead of Diaz. Considering I think Diaz is better at MW and Shields is better at ww.

Also does this mean the only ww outside of the UFC that is ranked inside the top ten isnt gonna compete in the ww division anymore?

• edub says:

On another note:

I hope im not being sexist here but I really do not see Carano vs. Cyborg being a capable headliner of this event anymore. It should really be changed to either Overeems fight or this one.

• JollyDV says:

I hope you are not being sexist either. lol. I am as girly girl as they get and I don’t think they should be headlining. Someday, hopefully sooner than later, when the field is deeper and has built a stronger following I can see females legitimately headlining a card, but I just don’t think it is there yet.

• JollyDV says:

Don’t get me wrong, I am not knocking female MMA fighters. I love to watch them and they are amazing. I would never be able to take a shot to the face regardless how much money I could get paid.

• edub says:

Yea dont get me wrong I think itll be a great fight, and Gina is on par popularity wise with every fighter on this card. I just think they maybe should have waited for a little more competition in the strikeforce womens division to make this a title fight let alone a headliner. Who are they gonna have challenge the winner?

• metalmulisha says:

It’s a good thing you two aren’t the promoters for this event lol, because people have been wanting to see Carano/Cyborg ever since Cyborg smashed Shayna Baszler a year ago.
    I mean Gina Carano is every where on magazine covers, video games, and on TV. Hardly anyone in the U.S. knows who the fuck Alistair Overeem is and you want him to headline the card? That’s just crazy.
    This event will sell out and be the most watched mma show ever on Showtime because of Gina Carano’s fight.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“I hope you are not being sexist either. lol. I am as girly girl as they get and I don’t think they should be headlining.”

It’s all about ratings. But of course, I’m sure you know that.

And to be honest, mainstream MMA fans don’t really know Overeem or Werdum. In the latter’s case, they might as they guy Arlovski beat and a no name knocked out.

• Angry Mike says:

Diaz has evolved and improved since he lost to Riggs. Meanwhile, Riggs has had numerous injuries and has struggled. Nothing against Riggs, but it’s Diaz’s fight to lose, and I don’t think he will. If Diaz pushed the pace he could end it in the first round. He doesn’t usually press his opponent until later in the fight, so imo it’s over in the third, and possibly in the second.

• edub says:

Metal you very well could be right. Except I was more leaning towards this fight being the headliner considering the run Diaz is on.

But I was just saying anyother of the title fights on the card could headline,and IMO should headline it. I mean cmon you think the Carano/Cyborg fight is gonna be better than Thompson/Melendez. I think from a promoter standpoint you are walking into a trap having Carano/Cyborg follow a like Thompson/Melendez.

• JollyDV says:

For all the fight fans who don’t know who Alistar Overeem is, there are twice as many who think females shouldn’t be in the cage. When was the last time Gina made weight for a fight? Cyborg missed it on her last fight. Yes, that is credibility to bank a fight card on.

I know it is all about the ratings and the almighty dollar, I accept that.

I also don’t think Carano/Cyborg will get higher ratings than Frank Shamrock. I will watch it and love every minute of it.

I also think part of the reason that Gina gets so much publicity is the media uses her like a pink elephant. Not taking anything away from her, she is great, beautiful and the future of female MMA, my earlier comment was that it is just too early in female MMA to have women headline a show. But the proof is in the pudding and the numbers will tell the story! Personally I want to see Cyborg get the KO.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“my earlier comment was that it is just too early in female MMA to have women headline a show.”

They gotta pull the trigger on this one now, though.

Strikeforce is sort of in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

• edub says:

Jolly you make some great points. If either of these fighters miss weight for this fight it will put a cloud over wmma for a while.

ps.Marry me