Lorenzo Fertitta meets with Cro Cop in Croatia; Return could be on the horizon

crocopJust when you think you’re out they draw you back in.

It appears as though Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic may very well be making his return to the UFC after all.

Shockwaves were sent through the MMA community after it was reported that the feared Croatian knockout artist had plans of signing with the DREAM promotion in Japan following his recent stoppage of Mustapha al Turk at UFC 99. UFC president Dana White had reportedly done a verbal agreement for three fights with Cro Cop prior to his return to the UFC.

It has been reported on the Croatian website Index.hr that UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta flew out to Croatia this morning on a private jet to have a two hour conversation with Filipovic on his own turf.

The article goes on to state that both Mirko and Lorenzo were all smiles following the meeting and it is reported that Cro Cop was made an offer that would be difficult to refuse.

Credit to Fighters Only Magazine for the find

• egad81 says:

I would like to see Cro Cop drop down to 205… 6’2 220 is and easy cut to 205 and he would be NASTY!

• edub says:

I like his speed at HW. I know the end of the fight against Al Turk was controversial, but he really did look nasty picking Al Turk apart before that.

• redness says:

Always like to watch Cro Cop fight. He was putting it to Al turk in that first round.

• PlagueAngel says:

He will not cut down to 205 even though he could and should. The Al Turk fight should have been a N/C if the ref would have caught it. I think the UFC wants all beasts from the heavy weight division to lure Fedor. It could be Antonio Silva, Brett Rogers, Lashey, or Overeem next. They might have to wait awhile for Fedor, because Tito Ortiz wants to fight him at Catchweight in Strikeforce for the “king of the world title” which Ortiz currently holds. LOL

• meatloaf says:

PlagueAngel your obsession with talking about Tito Ortiz when the subject matter has nothing to do with him is not only annoying, but a little disturbing to be totally honest.

• PlagueAngel says:

Im just having a little fun. I remember, I didn’t say he wanted to fight Fedor, he did. Its going to be interesting to see if Cro Cop can compete with the bigger heavyweights. He speed and striking will have to be pin point precision IMO to be effective in the new UFC HW division.

• Angry Mike says:

I don’t understand the reasoning. His first tour through the UFC was unimpressive at best. Why would UFC want to throw big bucks at him?

• shotokai_ says:

I agree with Mike. And from CC’s POV there are so many terrible match ups for him in the UFC HW div. He will get handled by any decent grappler/wrestler where he can’t use the ropes to keep it standing. If Gonzaga can get him down and pound on him then so can Cain, Brock, Randy, Carwin etc, maybe even Herring. What are they just going to feed him with below par stand up fighters until he gets a title shot; I won’t buy that. Although I’d like to see him and Barry slug it out, that would be a war. CC if I was in your position I’d hightail back to Dream and take on some guaranteed W’s.

• Iconoclastic says:

“DREAM has yet to announce a bout for Filipovic, and it now appears very likely that Mirko will pick up where he left off in the UFC.” I thought he was set to fight Mighty Mo in the upcoming Dream?

• redness says:

They want Cro Cop back for the UK draw.

• mac wilson says:

Cro-Cop is not really a UK draw, but more importantly, he is a huge draw for fans from Japan.

I was not impressed by the fight against Al-Turk. Al-Turk has no striking whatsoever and Cro-Cop wasn’t able to get the finish when he had him hurt. I bet Al-Turk was expecting the ref to jump in when he turned around and walked away holding his eye… too bad for him it was Miragliotta in charge.

He’s a guy I’d like to see take Big John’s course. It’s called C.O.M.M.A.N.D.

• ultimoshogun says:

Wonder what kind of deal was made. I’m looking forward to seeing Crocop where ever or whom ever he fights next. The Mighty Mo fight still on?

• notdanawhite says:

yep must be mainly about the expanding euro market.

anyone with an elite level ground game will maul cro-cop. he’s great if his opponents stand directly in front of him and slug it out. beyond that, he’s not an elite level pro.

i’d like to see him fight Chuck.

• dpk says:

I guess this is all about the draw in Europe and Japan, because I don’t see how Cro Cop will ever compete for the title in UFC. There are too many top notch grapplers in UFC that will be able to control him at this point in his career.

• GetItOn says:

Mirko is a HUGE draw for DREAM and without one of their prized fighters they will not do as well. The UFC is in it to win it. They have no interest in CroCop, everyone knows he’s pretty much done. They want to take over Japan again and DREAM is in the way. Good move on the UFC’s part.

• […] appears as though the private meeting between Cro Cop and Lorenzo Fertitta must have gone well in […]