GSP on Thiago Alves: ‘I can stand with him’

Georges

Even though UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has faced some of the toughest men the world has to offer at 170 pounds during the course of his career, the dominant Canadian will be the first to tell you that he expects for his next title defense to be one of the toughest tests he has faced inside of a cage.

St. Pierre is just one week away from UFC 100 where he will meet one of the most dangerous welterweight strikers in the history of the octagon in Thiago Alves.

According to GSP in a recent video interview on UFC.com, the fight is his to lose.

“I have many ways to win that fight,” explained the ultra-confident champion. “I have more tools than he has.

“I’m going to be the one to dictate the pace. I’m going to be the one to control the fight.”

Alves is the most dangerous on his feet, with devastating kicks and heavy hands, but St. Pierre feels confident regardless of where the battle ends up.

“I think I can stand with him, I think I can wrestle with him, I think I can go on the ground with him, I can do everything with him,” said GSP.

Just because the defending champion isn’t overly worried about ultimately exchanging with Alves at some point, he’s no fool, St. Pierre plans on taking the fight where he needs to in order to leave the octagon with his had raised one more time.

“I’m a smart fighter,” said St. Pierre. “I’m going to fight against his weaknesses, not his strengths. The key for me is to win, and to win I’m going to do anything that I can.”

• PlagueAngel says:

He is going to stick and move and try catch Alves unbalanced with takedowns. I’m not sure if that is going to work, but he has to go to the ground and pick him apart. Maybe look for a submission or TKO. I’m curious to see if Alves can stop GSP’s takedowns. Its going to be an interesting fight with planning like Generals. It could come down to the simplest mistake on this one.

• Bad Monkey says:

If high level wrestlers like Koscheck and Fitch couldn’t stop GSP’s takedowns, Alves won’t be able to either. As long he can avoid taking a big shot on the feet, St. Pierre wins this one going away.

• edub says:

Alves is huge at ww, but wo was Fitch. I see this fight goin somewhat like the Serra fight.

GSP by dominating performance

Kinda hope im wrong… I wanna see a great fight.

• redness says:

I am totaly amped for this fight, I think its the best on the card. If GSP stands which he wont I think Alves wins. I am wondering what game plan greg jackson has for this one. Cant wait for ITS TIME………….

• Rich S. says:

If GSP stands, he’s in trouble.. I know he has worldclass striking, but Alves is very fast, and very powerful.. If he didn’t break him down with punches, he surely would with the leg kicks..

GSP knows to get this to the ground though.. And he’ll try to very early..

I suppose we’ll see if Alves can stop the takedowns.. He’s shocked me a few times before soooo..

“If high level wrestlers like Koscheck and Fitch couldn’t stop GSP’s takedowns, Alves won’t be able to either.”

Don’t forget, Alves has stopped takedowns from the likes of Koscheck and Matt Hughes, possibly the best wrestler to ever grace the WW division..

• shotokai_ says:

“possibly the best wrestler to ever grace the WW division..”
    Was the best wrestler to ever grace the WW division, now, not so much. Koscheck is in pure wrestling credentials, GSP (easily) in MMA grappling ability. And there’s a big, big difference between the two. GSP will take Alves down at any point after the first round. If you think Alves’ takedown defense is better than BJ’s, Hughes’, Fitch’s and Koscheck’s – then you’re wrong, baby. GSP by decision or 4th/5th round TKO. And Jackson’s game plan isn’t important as it will be what we all expect; 1st round shoot, shoot and shoot some more. 2nd stand a little, change levels, shoot when you feel like. And repeat. A la Fitch, a la Penn.

• edub says:

Yea new best wrestler to ever grace the ww division is GSP. With Hughes at second and Koscheck third.

• edub says:

Eventhough Koscheck is definately better at wrestling than Hughes.

• sigmund says:

alves may have fast heavy hands but I think GSP has much more technical stand up. As far as take downs go I don’t think alves’ takedown defence will be sufficient Penns wasn’t fitchs wasn’t etc… GSP all the way to the bank

• mu_shin says:

George has it in perspective. Victory is the goal. He has nothing to prove by standing toe to toe with a potentially physically stronger dangerous striker. He’ll do what he needs to do to win, however that opportunity presents itself.

Alves has the tools to meet St. Pierre in the middle of the cage and throw down, but he’s going up against a lot of big fight experience. If he can apply a his strength in the striking game, not forgetting that he is a BJJ black belt, maintain pressure but not make critical mistakes, I think this one could be a real classic.

Hoping the weight issue does not raise it’s ugly head. Last few times I’ve seen Thiago in video interviews and promos, he’s looking pretty jacked, pretty thick. I’ve seen it written that he walks around at up to 205 pounds, and that’s a long way to go to 170. I know the one time he didn’t make weight he’d been injured and had to take a cortizone shot for his ankle, hoping he takes care of business and shows up at 171, then rehydrates up to 190-whatever for fight night.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Grease me up baby.

• edub says:

Hey Mu-Shin no 171 for Alves this time baby. Title fights are 170 or bust. I think hell make it though.

On a side not I wonder which ww is bigger on fight night. Joe Riggs of Thiago Alves.

• shotokai_ says:

I’d say Alves is bigger come fight night. I know Riggs has come a long way down from HW but Alves definitely has more power and strength – huge upper body for a WW. Must be a horrendous cut for him.
    It was interesting in some UFC promo vid I watched Alves stated he weighed between 190 and 195 before the fight, and this led to GSP retorting to the interviewer that he also weighed around 190. Although I’m pretty sure Alves was referring to his training, pre-cut weight whereas GSP was referring to his between-fight weight. Although Alves is the stronger guy I really think GSP is the more effective in the application of strength/power to MMA. At best it would it would be very close. Which renders all the conjecture around Alves’ power advantage coming into this fight ultimately pointless. It will primarily be decided through technique, heart and game plan application.