Shane Carwin vs. Cain Velasquez set for UFC 104

shane carwin

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned from sources close to the fight that Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez will face off for the #1 contenders spot in the UFC’s heavyweight division at UFC 104.

UFC 104 is set for Los Angeles, California on October 24.

Carwin will be making his return after he suffered a severely damaged nose in his knockout destruction of Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96 in March. He has strung together a perfect record of 11-0 during his fighting career, with all three of his wins in the octagon coming by way of knockout or TKO.

Velasquez will be coming off of the biggest win in his young career as he recently defeated the highly ranked Cheick Kongo by unanimous decision at UFC 99.Velasquez has put together a perfect record of 3-0 with the UFC, with a career record of 6-0.

The winner of the bout between the two is expected to face off with the winner of UFC 100’s Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir II at an event yet to be determined.

• Jstew3785 says:

All I can say is “FUC# YEAH!!!!!!” I just wish it was at UFC 103 in Dallas so I could see it live. I live 20 minutes from the AA center. Carwin is going to knock him out in the first round. Cain has already shown a suspect chin against Kongo, who doesn’t hit anywhere near as hard as Carwin. I can’t wait for this matchup!

• cocoonofhorror says:

warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Cain!!!!!!!!!

• Sans_Peur says:

I agree – this will be awesome. I have to question your appraisal, though, of Kongo’s punching power… I won’t dispute that Shane Carwin hits like a Mac truck, but Kongo has a pretty deep savate and kickboxing background… dude hits awful hard himself. Personally… I don’t want to be on the receiving end from either one of these guys.

• PlagueAngel says:

I wonder if Carwin is training full time yet? Cain has a great all around game and could pose a few problems for Carwin. The fight could go to decision if it goes to a wrestling match. The power advantage however has to go to Carwin, but we will see how things shape up until the fight.

• Jak says:

This is definitely the fight people want, and Junior dos Santos will have dispatched with Justin McCully in the first round by that point, so he will be right on the cusp of taking the next step to contender status as well.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m not saying Kongo is weak by any stretch, I just don’t think he hits anywhere near as hard as Carwin. He is definitely a talented fighter and kickboxer and I am a fan of his, but Carwin is definitely the stronger guy. Cain will not be able to control Carwin like he did Kongo. Carwin will have about 30 pounds on him come fight night and will be the stronger fighter. They’re probably about equal in wrestling and Carwin definitely has the advantage in the standup.

• redness says:

Wow this will be a barn buner for sure. I think that Cain in his last fight showed he could take a punch from anyone, I mean how much stronger can Carwin be then Kongo. Good to see the new blood moving up to get title shots. Cain by decion.

• Jstew3785 says:

I guess I am just not as impressed with Cain as everyone else. I think I’m the only one who believes Carwin is going to knock him out. I don’t think Cain sucks, I just think Carwin is better. But to each his own and I respect everyone’s opinions. This is what makes MMA the best sport out there though.

• munche says:

I don’t see Cain having the advantage in any area in this fight. Carwin is the better striker, the bigger, stronger fighter, and I don’t see Cain outwrestling him either.

• Kamakosmo says:

“Redness”, watch the Cain/Kongo fight again. Everytime Kongo landed a flush punch on Cain, he went down. His wrestling saved him in the fight. Everyone knows Kongo is weak on his back, so that worked out for Cain. Carwin is a beast on the ground and an accomplished wrestler. That will not matter. Once he makes contact with Cain’s face with a punch much more powerful than Kongo’s, show is over. Cain will try to take it to the mat, where he loses. 2nd Rd. stoppage due to strikes. Lock it in!!!

• RU486 says:

Agreed, that Cains standup sucks. Carwin was also a collegiate wrestler and has about 35 pounds on Velasquea, so I see no advantage there for Cain. This could be a very lopsided fight. With both having a wrestling background, the wrestling will be nullified and result in a standup battle. I haven’t yet seen any serious knockout power or striking skill in Cain, yet Carwin has ended 11 fights in 13 minutes total. No way to argue with that one.

• PlagueAngel says:

Does anyone know if Carwin is training full time? Who does he train with? You would think he would consider fighting a full time gig by now or perhaps he sees fighting a part time gig and engineering his retirement job? I don’t think Cain’s standup qualifies as “sucks” as this stage of his career. You hear all the time that his training staff and other fights are amazed at his progress. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cain come into the fight heavier and more prepared in his boxing.

• Kamakosmo says:

A weak chin is a weak chin, can’t fix that.

• Kamakosmo says:

“PlaqueAngel” Besides, UFC 104 isn’t until Oct. 24th. Is 4 months not enough time to train?

• PlagueAngel says:

Its tough to say if Cain has a weak chin after the Kongo fight. I think its put into question because he went down a few times. Cain has finished all his fights from strikes/TKO before Kongo. His striking has looked above average in most of his fights. I think four months is enough time to get heavier and improve on boxing. I think both fighters will be put to the test on this fight. Carwin went down like a ton of bricks from Gonzaga right away and recovered, so I wouldn’t jump to conclusion that he has a weak chin. I will admit that Carwin will be the favorite coming into the fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

Carwin didn’t go down… he was taken down. Big difference. He was hurt by the punch obviously, but he never went down until Gonzaga swept his leg out from under him. Cain got hit on the chin and was dropped to the mat.
    Carwin trains with Greg Jackson’s camp. I think his main training partners are Nate Marquardt and Eliot Marshall. Not sure if he is training full time yet though if he isn’t, he should start for this fight.

• sigmund says:

i kinda figured it was a matter of time before this one went down. Better late then never i spose. this is gonna be a hell of a fight. I think Carwin will win this one. although I can see a younger Cain holding stronger if the fight makes into later rounds(which i doubt it will) but who knows havent seen carwin go past the first. Can’t wait either way

• edub says:

Cain by de. when Carwin tires out. Write that down.

• PlagueAngel says:

Just talked to Brett Rogers tonight. He will fight Overeem for the title and it will be Aug.15 or October.11. Great fight

• meatloaf says:

October 11th is a Sunday.

Strikeforce is going to have events on Sundays during football season?

• cocoonofhorror says:

if you guys really believe that Carwin doesnt train full time, i got a real estate proposal for you….

• PlagueAngel says:

Carwin is an engineer who works full time. Maybe he uses that to “fool” other fighters. I suppose he could train full time and work, but he has a family and children so you have to wonder how much time he puts into his MMA training. Now about that real estate proposal…hmmm.

• dpk says:

This is an awesome fight, and will establish a ranking among the up and coming HWs in the UFC. I’d like to see Dos Santos fight Gonzaga or Herring when he is done KO’ing McCully.

I see Carwin winning by KO, his power is just going to be too much, and he has shown that he can take some punishment, come back and only needs to land once. Velasquez doesn’t have the 1 punch power to match Carwin, and while I think Cain has better wrestling, I think Carwin’s is good enough to stuff some of the takedowns and get back to standing.

• Jstew3785 says:

What’s that real estate proposal? Ocean front property in Arizona…….

• Ft. Dub says:

Can we get a decent f-ing headline fight for UFC 103 in Dallas? I’m so excited they’re finally coming to DFW, but it seems like they’re stacking the card with third rate fighters.

• cocoonofhorror says:

LMAO!!!! the man spends 3 to 4 hours every fucking day in the gym. great, hes an engineer, so what? many engineers work from home. SC is training full time, period.

• edub says:

Not Ocean front property in Arizona, a ski resort in Texas.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I predict that Carwin will win by head kick or triangle choke. LOL

• DansMuayThaiMMA says:

I’m thinking Carwin will end up winning via ground and pound. I’m a big Shane Carwin fan, I hope he destroys him and gets a title shot.

• Kickastronaut says:

I didn’t finish reading the comments, so I don’t know if this was answered. PlaqueAngel, I believe he’s been spending time at Greg Jackson’s camp. Although I’m not sure for how long and for what amount of time he trains.

But this is good for him and the other fighters there imo. Carwin before entering as a competitor was sought after by others in his area to help them train before being convinced to compete himself. I’m sure he has alot to offer fighters like Rashad, GSP, Marquardt, etc. And they’ll probably help back as they all specialize at certain aspects of the sport. Plus a stratagist like Greg Jackson could set his game up well.

Against Cain, I don’t think Cain can do it, which is fine. I really like Cain and have jumped on his hype train, but where Kongo couldn’t stuff a take down, if Carwin stuffs 2-3 and successfully follows with hard shots coming out of a clinch situation, he’ll put him to the floor. Cain needs more time to develop his game, but keep giving him tough opponents and the ufc will watch their investment in him pay off.

• […] were mixed emotions among the mixed martial arts community when 5 Oz. recently revealed that fellow undefeated heavyweight prospects Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez would be butting heads […]

• bizzarmg says:

Cain is garbage. I hope Shane knocks him out. But I think Brock would rock Shane or Cain whoever fights him out of the two. Who could beat Brock Lesnar right now since he beat Mir? Opinions anyone?

• Patrickk says:

Sorry guys, Cain isn’t ready for the big league yet. He has horrible hands. Unless he develops a fighting style like GSP or Brock, he’s destined to be a upper-middle-tier fighter.

Carwin is going to thrash him.

Carwin by KO 1st round