Gray Maynard vs. Roger Huerta expected for UFC Fight Night 19

A lightweight showdown between Gray Maynard and Roger Huerta is expected to take place at the nineteenth edition of UFC’s Fight Night series.graymaynard_wearingburnout

UFC Fight Night 19 is slated for September 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

The possibility of the bout was first reported by Sherdog.com and multiple sources have since confirmed that both men have agreed to the bout.

Maynard will be looking to improve upon his undefeated record in the octagon and inch himself closer to a lightweight title shot after five consecutive victories with his most recent coming over Jim Miller at UFC 96.

Huerta will be making his first return to action since his unanimous decision loss at the hands of Kenny Florian in August of 2008. He recently declined a new contract with the UFC to pursue a career in acting. The bout with Maynard will fulfill his obligations to the company.

• Angry Mike says:

Maynard is a beast. He gave Miller a beating, and imo he’ll serve Huerta in the same fashion.

• Rich S. says:

I’ve lost alot of respect for Huerta..

Mainly over the fact that he’s leaving a good record and run in the LW division behind him to pursue acting, and worse, modeling.. I suppose he has had his problems with the UFC but, whatever..

Maynard should definitely win this fight..
    He’s an absolute monster..
    He doesn’t always finish the fight, but he’s like a young Sean Sherk.. none of these guys can deal with his strength..

• ZP580 says:

The only reason I see Huerta losin is because he won’t be coming in good fighting condition. He hasn’t fought in almost a year and he has been working on film and other things that are not fighting….. Rich S, How can you lose respect for a guy for pursuing other career goals. Cung Le is doing the same thing by doing movies and working on his Law Degree. Le hasn’t fought in over a year. Grow up, the world doesn’t revolve around the UFC.

• edub says:

He pursues other things because he can get paid more. You cant hate on a guy for making better money doing something that doesnt take an extreme toll on his body.

• Angry Mike says:

Good for Huerta if he can use his MMA career as a springboard for other opportunities. A fighter’s career only lasts so long, and he should take full advantage for his future.

I assume Huerta will show up in shape and ready to fight. But even at his best he isn’t strong enough or big enough to handle Maynard.

• Rich S. says:

I suppose you’re right ZP..

• PlagueAngel says:

Rich you were right, stand by your statement. The world does evolve around MMA and hopefully Maynard will smash the his pretty little face out of the UFC. Throw him around alittle like a sack of potatoes like Machida did to Tito!

• platypus says:

haha. on one hand, being an mma fan, i agree with rich s’ very selfish worldview. on the other hand, being a realist, basically people need to do what is right for them and if he can make more money and earn a better living without putting his body through hell, then he should make the right decision. some people end up forgoing lifes pleasures and comforts and the stability of a job for more daring and challenging lifestyles, although in huerta’s case, both his choices are risky .

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If Maynard wins I’ll bet it’s by decision or hold ’em downs.

• Rich S. says:

Whoa guys, I know there’s a world outside of MMA… sheesh..

I was just saying, the guy had a great record, and only lost once in the UFC.. to the No. 1 contender, mind you..

That makes him one of the best LW’s the UFC had..

And now, because of pay and other minor issues with the UFC, he’s not going to make another run for the title.. Which actually makes HIM the selfish one -> I’m sure he has countless fans, and now they won’t get to see him fight anymore, at least not in the UFC, and not any time soon..

But, if the acting and modeling is going to make him happy, that’s fine..

• dpk says:

This fight is going to be late enough in the year that Huerta fighting for Bellator’s second season will be out of the question. I also wouldn’t completely rule out him re-signing with UFC, a bunch of UFC fighters have been in films, and work on their acting, there is no reason he can’t act and fight. That being said, I’ll pick Maynard by UD, 30-27 across the board.

• ZP580 says:

I hope he does eventually resign with the UFC.I dont think money was an issue, the UFC offered him a better deal than BJ Penn currently has. I am a huge fan of Huerta and his style. He’s only 26, he’ll be back. I’m not sure how this fight is gonna go. If we see the same Huerta that we are used to, then I don’t see Maynard being able to throw him around. Huerta is a big LW and also a former collegiate wrestler and no Jim Miller. Maynard doesnt have the hands to out box Huerta. Im gonna go out on a limb here, Huerta via TKO in the 2nd.

Cuz I really dont care to see a title bout where the contender tries to lay on the Champ…..Yawn