Tim Sylvia removed from Affliction “Trilogy” following KO loss to Ray Mercer

Previously scheduled to face off with Paul Buentello in a heavyweight clash at Affliction III: Trilogy, former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia has recently been informed that his services will no longer be required for the event.

The report of Affliction’s decision to cut Sylvia from the event comes courtesy of MMAFanhouse.com.

The announcement comes on the heels of Sylvia’s ten second knockout loss at the hands of 48 year old former heavyweight boxing champ Ray Mercer in Birmingham, Alabama on Saturday evening. Previously slated as a boxing match, the bout inevitably failed to be sanctioned and was switched to an MMA rules bout just prior to fight time. Sylvia weighed in at 310 pounds before the loss to Mercer.

“It’s his second knockout in a row, and I don’t want to take a chance on anything,” Affliction VP Tom Atencio was quoted as saying in the report. “The fight is less than 60 days away.”

Atencio also confirmed that Paul Buentello would still be competing on the card. His opponent will most likely be the winner of the upcoming June 27 clash between Gilbert Yvel and Pedro Rizzo at “Ultimate Chaos”.

• cere says:

And this guy wanted to retire in the UFC…He will be fighting in dog pits in Mexico before he gets back in the UFC.

• mma-owns says:

hahaha yea i feel kinda bad for him. but what can ya do its a tough game. nobody wants to be the first fighter cut by Affliction lol. that says a lot. Affliction is dieing to get names on thier cards and when you are a name like sylvia and you still can’t get on an Affliction card? it might be time to call it quits.

• Angry Mike says:

Sylvia was never one of my favorite fighters, but this is still kind of sad. I don’t have it in me to gloat about his misfortune. Good luck, Maniac.

• meatloaf says:

Off of the top of my head I can’t think of another MMA fighter who’s fallen so far this fast.
    With guys like Shamrock (Frank), Sakuraba, Pulver and others their decline has been slow over the years but Sylvia has gone from top 10 heavyweight to a complete joke in the matter of a year it seems.

• tigerclaw says:

For Affliction the math was simple – Sylvia was just way too expensive for them to deliver whatever he delivers.

FINALLY someone came to their senses in Affliction – not be jealous or anything but $800,000 for 36 second toss-up is just insane

• mma-owns says:

Well put, not said often enough. He’s never been a bad person, just not a fan favourite fighter. He has gone thorough endless ridicule and persecution for it.

I hope he is able to ignore all of it and I too hope he has a better future.

• edub says:

I hope he retires.

He just adds fuel to the fire for boxing purists if he keeps fighting and winning.

• Iconoclastic says:

If Affliction has any plans of sticking around they need to stop rehashing these over paid, past their prime fighters and start developing new contenders, why not give the fighters that they have over @ M1/Affliction Challenge a shot?
    Don’t get me wrong I would love to see A. Overeem added to the roster, but Yvel, Buentello, Rothwell, Rizzo, etc. these fighters were HVY WGHT gatekeepers, at best, during their prime and now they are fighting just because of the big names they have fought in their careers.