Baroni on Riggs: ‘I’m planning on blowing right through this kid’

Joining Lawler and Shields on the recent Strikeforce conference call on their June 6 event was the one and only “New York Bad Ass” Phil Baroni.

Baroni, who will step into the cage against Joe “Diesel” Riggs on the televised portion of the card, made sure to remind fans of why he’s always been known as a fighter who isn’t afraid to speak his mind. Riggs found himself directly in Baroni’s crosshairs, especially in regards to his apparent absenteeism from the call.

“The guy is a no-show for the conference call,” said Baroni. “He’s got a real big problem. I’ve been telling you since day one you better have someone else lined up because I don’t think he’s going to show up. We’re all busy and we’re all training right now and we don’t want to do this but we’re all big and professional except that (expletive). It’s up to him how long the fight is going to last. I want to show everyone in MMA that I’m for real. All roads lead through Joe Riggs. I’m planning on blowing right through this kid.”

The outspoken Long Islander, who is 3-0 since making the move down to 170 pounds, made it clear he’s going to be especially agitated on Saturday night and it will have nothing to do with cutting weight.

“(Dropping to welterweight) has been real comfortable,” explained Baroni. “Losing sixteen pounds of muscle helped a lot. I feel great. I feel like I’m nineteen years old again. I have tons of energy. I feel like I should be on a box of Wheaties and doing cereal commercials.

“I’m on edge right now. Don’t cross me now because I haven’t had sex in four weeks and I’m on a diet. I’m ready to kill someone. This is going to be a war and I’m in total fight mode. I don’t even know what I’m talking about right now. Next question!”

In closing, Baroni expressed excitement about the opportunity he’d been given and continued to hype the fight as only he can.

“I’m just ready to go,” Said the animated Baroni. “It’s a coming out party for me. I’m a different person out there. Joe Riggs is underestimating me and making a big mistake. The talking is done. It’s time to do it in the ring. I can’t wait to get in there and show the world I’m a legitimate contender and can do this. Better later than never.”

It sounds as though fans in St. Louis are in for a treat this weekend when Strikeforce rolls into the Gateway City. In fact, it sounds like all MMA enthusiasts are.

• kidneybeans says:

I sit just me or is Phil Baroni one of the dumbest sounding guys of all time? I’m sure the accent doesn’t help but I think it’s more the attitude and the things that actually come out of his mouth. Anywyay, Riggs wins this fight easily in my book. But it’s usually the fights I’m most sure about that I get wrong so who knows.

• GetItOn says:

They’re both washed up but this still makes for an interesting fight. I give it to Baroni because he’s the “NYBA” lol. He’s a character that’s for sure.

• Kamakosmo says:

This is my first comment on this site, why I choose this guy to rant about i’ll never know. He’s obviously hyping up his own fight (understandable) because he’s merely just a blip on the MMA scene these days. Yes, he’s won his last 3 fights, however they were against virtual nobody’s (no offense). Joe Riggs can be a mystery at times in that you ‘re not sure which Riggs is going to show up. While on paper this seems like it could be an exciting fight, the weight cut will take a lot out of both fighters. I do not see this fight getting out of the 1st, to the delight of both fighters as they both won’t be able to go full bore for 3.

• hindsightufuk says:

brilliant! i could give a fuck if Baroni is for real or a steroid nut, the guy is fucking entertaining, and i wouldnt want mma to exist without characters like him.
    anyone remember the interview when fighting Minowa for the second time? it was classic, comedy gold.
    ‘what could he have learnt from that last fight? dont foget your shine box?’

classic baroni, i’ll be rooting for him.

• PlagueAngel says:

Hearing Baroni on older UFC and MMA talkshows has been difficult through my years of MMA watching. When he talks, he breaks his sentences up into strange segments. The shinebox comment was classic however, also when Joe Rogan did commentary with him, you could tell Joe did not care for him and made fun of him a lot.

• TerribleT says:

Maybe I’m wishful thinking but to me it sounds like Baroni has matured quite a bit now and it sounds like he’s training with a lot more drive and dedication.I think Baroni’s gonna take Riggs in this fight and I think it is going to be one hell of an entertaining fight.I can’t fuckin’ wait!!!!!!!!!!