Lyoto Machida: ‘I cried, I trained, and now I am the champion’

The newly crowned UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida was visibly emotional following his devastating knockout over Rashad Evans at last evenings UFC 98.

It’s been a long time coming for the brilliant tactician in Machida. Having watched his very first UFC at the age of 15, he worked hard incorporating jiu-jitsu and other fighting elements in with his Machida karate to create to unsolvable style he employs with tremendous success today.

“I have said before that this is a chess game. I study and I study, and I waited on what he wanted to do,” Machida was quoted as saying in a post-fight interview with UFC.com immediately following his championship victory over Evans.

Nothing was ever given to Machida. Everything he has earned in mixed martial arts, the accolades, the praise, the victories and the UFC light heavyweight championship have come to Lyoto the old fashioned way, from years of blood, sweat and tears.

“I believed all the time, all the time. Training every day hard. I cried, I trained, and now I am the champion,” said a teary eyed Machida.

The evolving process is far from over for the undefeated 205 pound champion. The win over Rashad just marks a new chapter in the constantly unfolding story of “The Dragon”.

“I am very, very happy and I will train more to keep my belt for a long time,” said the new king of the light heavyweight division.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’d just like to give give props, while i remember, to the moth that landed on Lyoto as he was celebrating. easy to miss, easy to forget, but i think it was a first in MMA. wicked knockout too

• PlagueAngel says:

Rampage has to be really looking at a gameplan at this time. Machidas style is not going to be easy for Rampage. He needs to get inside and push him to the cage and apply severe pressure. He needs to find someway to cut that range and shoot for a takedown and use his strength and wrestling to smash him. I don’t see it happening though at this time.

• neijia says:

yeah, Rampage is great but more like a diamond in the rough. Wrestlers who shoot in just get shot down via sumo slam. Machida is a true polished diamond. Only Anderson Silva and Fedor are in the same league.

• s00nertp says:

agreed neijia, but I’d feel more comfortable believing that after 2 or 3 title defense wins.
    205 is the most stacked division, anyone can get knocked out or submitted on a bad day.

• neijia says:

yeah could happen just seems unlikely. Machida hasn’t had a bad round, let alone a bad day, and is still improving. I don’t see Rampage having much chance of winning via his recent mix of more conservative boxing/wrestling. He should be aggressive and try to catch Machida with an uppercut or hook when Machida does that fast clinch exit he does, but I think Machida knows that is a risk and has an answer. Griffin maybe could do better. His striking looks good, but I don’t see him winning. Machida has 27 years of striking experience. Perhaps Shogun would be a good matchup?

• s00nertp says:

yeah, though I am scared of a matchup with shogun until he is back in his game. Shogun (not the injured one though) is by far one of my favorite fighters ever. Fedor, Wady, Anderson, ninja (great but never a gas tank), all came from that INCREDIBLE camp.

• s00nertp says:

ooops, I meant to say “scared” because I would want him to really be back & prove himself again. I wouldnt want him to fight machida too early .

• Jstew3785 says:

Bring on Machida vs Shogun. I don’t think Shogun has earned it, but the UFC hardly ever makes fights based on merit. A motivated, in shape Shogun would be dangerous for anyone, including Machida. I would love to see this match up. I’m sure Machida would win, but I bet it would fight of the night.