twitter google

Jason MacDonald confirms his release from the UFC

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has released Jason MacDonald from its roster of middleweight fighters.

MacDonald confirmed the news on Monday in a column for the Sportsnet.Ca website.

“I received an e-mail Saturday from the UFC, from their legal department, saying ‘my services were no longer needed’ and ‘my contract has been terminated,'” wrote MacDonald.

Nicknamed “The Athlete,” MacDonald started off his UFC career strong with consecutive guillotine choke submission wins over Ed Herman and Chris Leben in 2006. However, MacDonald had struggled as of late, losing three out of his last four fights.

MacDonald’s most recent defeat took place at UFC 97 last month in Montreal, Canada, where he was TKO’d by Nate Quarry due to elbows just 2:27 into their fight. His previous fight during the live finale for the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter also ended in a loss following a first round submission against Wilson Gouveia due to elbows.

It appears as though MacDonald is taking the setback in stride.

“I spoke with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva and we are still on good terms,” said MacDonald. “He said to go out there and put together some wins and they’d like me to be back. I’ve always had a positive relationship with the UFC, and even Joe said I was always a pleasure to deal with.”

2 COMMENTS
  • RU486 says:

    This really sucks. I enjoy MacDonalds fights. His fight with Demien Maia is one of the best grappling matches I’ve ever seen in MMA.

  • fanoftna33 says:

    his match with maia was great, the good thing about macdonald is he is always fun to watch, the guy puts on exciting fights. and he did not lose to chumps out there, he went toe to toe with franklin and we all know goveia hit very hard and is a tough fight. unlike some middleweights(bisping, grove) macdonald did not get any easy fights.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.