Mauricio “Shogun” Rua Wants a Rematch with Forrest Griffin

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, coming off a first round knockout of former light heavyweight kingpin Chuck Liddell, has an opponent in mind for his next fight.

In an interview he did with the Brazilian website Tatame, Rua said that although no opponents have been offered he would like to fight Forrest Griffin again.

It has been about 18 months since Rua made his much ballyhooed debut against the winner of The Ultimate Fighter season one at UFC 76. Griffin was a decided underdog but wore down the then #1 ranked light heavyweight in the world and frustrated him for almost the full 15 minutes until choking Rua out with 15 seconds left in the fight.

Griffin went on to star opposite Quinton “Rampage” Jackson during the seventh installment of The Ultimate Fighter and the two then met at UFC 86 in July of last year for Jackson’s UFC light heavyweight championship where Griffin was victorious via unanimous decision.

Rua meanwhile had two knee surgeries and was not seen again until January of this year where he looked flat once again in defeating a 44 year old Mark Coleman via third round TKO at UFC 93. It was his second straight lackluster performance and the start of his UFC career was not looking good.

Fast forward to this past Saturday night, while he was victorious, none of the questions regarding his cardio were answered and he defeated a man who was 1-3 in his past four fights and approaching 40 years old.

Rua stated that he was very motivated right from the very start as he trained for Liddell and that he had prepared very hard physically and mentally for this fight. He also said that he was anxious to introduce himself to the American fans and show them the real “Shogun” Rua.

As he prepares for a two week vacation with his wife Rua is already focusing on his next fight no matter who it is against, although if he has his way it will be against Griffin.

Forrest does have to get by Thiago Silva at UFC 101 in August for this match-up even to be realistic. Rua complimented Griffin and called him a good fighter and said it would be cool to fight him again.

• Jstew3785 says:

In my opinion, Shogun would destroy Forrest Griffin if he shows up in the condition he did against Liddell. I am a big fan of both guys, but to me, Shogun is on a completely different level. I know Griffin beat him the first time, but it’s kind of hard to be competitive with a torn ACL. Just my opinion, but I would love to see this rematch.

• Bullylover says:

yeah a rematch would be tight. I still see Griffin pulling off the win though. Either way it still make one hella of a fight.I’d really like to see the rematch between Rampage though. I think Rampage has what it takes to Knock Rua out.

• Handover Fist says:

Not sure we can say Shogun’s conditioning problem is in the rear view mirror after a 4 minute and 28 second fight.

• PlagueAngel says:

I said this before and I’ll say it again, no more rematches if the title is not on the line. If one of them gets the title again(which probably won’t happen anytime soon), let them have a rematch. Why would anyone want to see the same fight again with no gold on the line when there are great matchups to be had at 205.

• s00nertp says:

I too am still concerned about Shogun’s conditioning.

I’d LOVE to see Shogun fight anyone. Forrest is just as good as anyone else.

• Jak says:

Errgghh! Why do we need to see rematch’s in the LHW division, there’s so much talent to keep all the top fighters busy for a while. Krystof, Cane, Cantwell and Rua ALL looked very impressive… why waste 10-15 quality guys on doing rematch’s… and even though i was rooting for Jackson, i really didn’t need to see that rematch either.

• JJ Docker says:

I completely agree with Handover Fist. Even more so; I don’t think we can say that the old Shogun is back after 4 minutes 28 seconds against an aged and uncomfortable looking Chuck Liddell.

I also see problems with a rematch with Forrest. Rampage is set to fight winner of Evans/Machida and, if he wins that fight, his first defense is likely to be against Griffin, should he get past Thiago Silva. In fact if Griffin gets past Thiago Silva I would expect him to face off against whoever is the champ after the two title fights. However, if he doesn’t get past Silva, a Griffin/Shogun fight might make sense, at least rankings-wise; but Shogun would face a fairly long wait, possibly to UFC 104 or 105 – which to be honest, I also find unlikely.

• Angry Mike says:

Regardless of who’s next in line for title shots, Griffin might be a tougher fight for Rua than Liddell. Liddell used punches almost exclusively, but Griffin will use plenty of leg kicks. You have to believe that he’ll target Rua’s rebuilt knee(s) to break Rua down, at least mentally.

• Bullylover says:

I guess we’ll see if the old Rua really is back in his next fight. Still i’d love to see Rampage eventually get his revenge on Shogun one of these days. Maybe Shogun should face Jardine or Franklin next.

• Rich S. says:

Yup, i’m thinking that if Shogun showed up in the same condition he was in for Liddell, Forrest/Shogun 2 would go more like people THOUGHT it would the first time..

• wardog says:

It just shows that Liddell even in a bad defeat still has some clout in the cage. I would like to see these two go at it. There needs to be some straightening out of the LHW division, as there is no dominant fighters including Rampage! Time for Dana and others to make matches for the next couple of months and establish a true number one contender. No more Leites type fights!

• RU486 says:

It’s pretty obvious at this point that the contenders at LHW are at this order:

1. Quinton Jackson (couldn’t fight so #2 steps in)
    2. Lyoto Machida
    3. Forrest Griffin
    4. Mauricio Rua
    5. Keith Jardine
    6. Luis Cane
    7. Thiago Silva

*Wanderlei Silva would be somewhere between #3 and #6 depending on if he stays at LHW although he seems intent on fighting Anderson Silva now at 185.