The UFC hasn’t cornered the market on disparity when it comes to fighter’s salaries as Frank Shamrock led the pack by earning an astounding $369,790 while the man who defeated him Nick Diaz earned a paltry $39,950.
The California State Athletic Commission released the entire list of fighter salaries from this past Saturday’s Strikeforce event which took place at the HP Pavilion Pavilion in San Jose, CA. The event also marked the debut of Strikeforce on the Showtime network.
According to a report by MMAjunkie.com, total fighter salaries came out to $634,415 and the attendance was 15,211 with an approximate gate of $750,000.
It should be noted that the final salary numbers for Frank Shamrock and Hitomi Akano might be significantly higher than was disclosed by the commission.
While not confirmed, it is believed that Shamrock also will receive a portion of the total gate receipts from Saturday night’s event held in his adopted hometown of San Jose, Calif.
Additionally, FiveOuncesOfPain.com has heard from sources independent of the California State Athletic Commission that Akano was paid beyond what her documented salary. According to sources, Akano not only received 10% of Cyborg’s purse but received additional compensation from Strikeforce. It is believed that Akano made as much as $20,000 for her fight vs. Cyborg.
The full list of salaries are listed below please keep in mind the usual disclaimers: the published figures do not include undisclosed totals such as signing bonuses, locker room bonuses, sponsorship earnings and any other forms of compensation to the fighters that are not disclosed to the athletic commission as a matter of public record.
1. Frank Shamrock: $369,790 (no mention of a win bonus reported if he had been victorious)
2. Scott Smith: $49, 940 ($24,940 to show and $25,000 to win)
3. Gilbert Melendez: $49,890 (no win bonus offered)
4. Nick Diaz: $39.950 ($29,950 to show and $10,000 to win)
5. Brett Rogers: $39,940 ($19,940 to show and $20,000 to win)
6. Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos: $18,000 ($8,000 to show and $10,000 to win)
7. Benji Radach: $16,940 (No win bonus reported)
8. Eric Lawson: $9,950 ($7,950 to show and $2,000 to win)
9. Rodrigo Dam: $9,190 (No win bonus reported if he had won)
10. Raul Castillo: $7,890 ($4,390 to show and $3,500 to win)
11. Luke Rockhold: $6,000 ($3,000 to show and $3,000 to win)
12. James Terry: $3,940 ($1,940 to show and $2,000 to win)
13. Abongo Humphrey: $3,205 (no win bonus reported if he had won)
14. Waylon Kennell: $1,950 (no win bonus reported if he had won)
15. Buck Meredith: $1,540 (no win bonus reported if he had won)
16. Brandon Michaels: $1,500 (no win bonus reported if he had won)
17. Zak Bucia: $1,500 (no win bonus reported if he had won)
18. Hitomi Akano: $1,450 (no win bonus reported if she had won)
19. Shingo Kohara: $940 ($940 to show and was not given a bonus for winning)
20. Jeremy Tavares: $940 (no win bonus reported if he had won)