Miguel Torres reveals aspirations to compete for the UFC

Miguel Torres apparently has aspirations beyond just being the number one bantamweight fighter on the planet. In a new interview with VERSUS.com’s Ariel Helwani, the Chicago native revealed that he has designs on eventually bypassing the WEC featherweight division and advancing directly to the UFC’s lightweight division.

“I can’t fight forever,” Torres told Helwani. “I can dominate 135 for the rest of my career and be comfortable, or I can test myself and be out of my comfort zone and try to make more money. I think fighting at a higher weight class, there will be bigger purses, bigger paydays and more high-profile fights. So, I am looking to do that in the future.”

Moving directly from 135 to 155 might be confounding to some, but the 28-year old Torres indicated that such a jump could be dictated by economic factors.

“To go to 145, I wouldn’t get a huge bump (in pay),” Torres is quoted. “But if I were to go to 155 and get a three-fight deal (in the UFC), I am sure I could get a huge increase in pay. And then (I can) always come down to 135 or 145.”

Torres is also quoted as telling Helwani that he believes the future of the WEC’s bantamweight division looks bright and that it could be another two or three years before he considers moving up.

Torres, 35-1, is 4-0 since entering the WEC with notable wins over Jeff Bedard, Chase Beebe, Yoshiro Maeda, and Manny Tapia. Currently on a 16-fight win streak, he is slated to defend his 135 pound title vs. Takeya Mizugaki at WEC 40 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Ill. on April 5.

• crantis says:

I think Miguel Torres could be successful at higher weight classes. He is very tall for 135. If he could get with a good strength and conditioning coach, and nutritionist, it is scary to think what he could be capable of at lightweight. The UFC should take advantage of Torres and other WEC champs. Imagine Miguel Torres V. Penn for the lightweight title, the winner of that V. Varner to unify the titles. The belts could move back and forth between these two organizations in a series of Champion V. Champion fights. It would make money, be exciting, and I think Torres could come out on top.

• GetItOn says:

I would love to see Miguel Torres fight for the UFC at 155! I don’t forsee BJ Penn being the title holder when this move does happen.

• wardog says:

I wonder how it would translate since he would have to gain while others cut. But I like the idea. First stope though a fight with Brown or Faber, then 155 I think.

• sicmma says:

I’m all for hime making more money, but i’m thinking jumping up 2 weight classes might be a bit much. Most of the other 155 guys are cutting way down to 55. Miguel just doesn’t look like he would have the strength to compete against top level 155’rs

• Angry Mike says:

I agree with sicmma. Torres would actually have to bulk up to 165 or 170 without losing speed and mobility, and that’s a big challenge. He’s very good at 135, but he hasn’t blown out everybody he’s faced. Maeda was a much tougher fight than I expected. Fighting at 155 may be too ambitious.

much as I hate to say it, the real issue here is that WEC fighters don’t make as much as their counterparts in the UFC, and that’s because WEC doesn’t have ppv revenues. The guys in WEC need to make more, and that means paying for WEC instead of watching it for free.

• s00nertp says:

Miguel is logical, I’ll give him that.

I think ever fan on the planet would want to see him jump to 155 as long as he could maintain the same level of talent, knockout power, and versatility.

I only wish him the best and follow him closely

• Ft. Dub says:

This would make for great fights, but I have the same reservations as other posters. I would feel differently if he was 23 now instead of 28, but usually by 28 some natural weight increase has already happened. That doesn’t bode well for him naturally carrying the weight.

At the same time, I would agree with Angry Mike that this is going to continue to be a problem for Zuffa as long as the pay levels are so different between the organizations. The big name WEC fighters are always going to want to step up to the UFC for the pay and the challenge.