Tapout Founder Charles “Mask” Lewis killed in car crash (UPDATED)

In recent hours a video depicting images of a fatal car accident in Orange County, Calif. have appeared on the website for MyFoxLA.com.

One passenger was severely injured in the crash and is currently in critical condition. Published reports indicate that the driver of the car died from injuries sustained as a result of the accident.

Multiple sources within the industry have contacted FiveOuncesOfPain.com indicating that the identity of the deceased driver is that of Charles Lewis Jr.

Lewis is better known to the mixed martial arts community by his alter ego “Mask,” one of the founding owners of the popular MMA lifestyle apparel label TapouT.

When contacted by Five Ounces of Pain, Los Angeles County police officials declined comment, stating that next of kin had yet to be notified. However, TapouT has issued a formal statement confirming Lewis’ death.

“It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we must regretfully confirm the passing of our beloved friend, brother and co-founder Charles “Mask” Lewis following a car accident that occurred last night,” the statement reads.

Charles Lewis Jr. was 45.

Five Ounces of Pain would like to express its condolences to the Lewis family.

• themyth says:

R.I.P Mask God Bless

• Brandomania says:

RIP indeed. He will be missed in the MMA community.

• GetItOn says:

awww sad day! Mask was a crazy funny mofo and he will be missed for sure. I hope you’re in heaven brother.

• Davey D says:

This is just awful. I am so sad about this, Mask was a good person and had a lot great words of encouragment not just for the Fighter’s but for EVEVRYONE. All you have to do is believe in yourself and you can touch the sky. Just believe.

R.I.P. – Charles “Mask” Lewis Jr., you will be missed dearly. You are now with your Father again.

• Angry Mike says:

Further on up the road. RIP.

• ZP580 says:

This is a terrible event. . . . Sorry but you would think fiveouncesofpain.com would have enough respect for the family not to post this until the next of kin has been notified. Where’s the professionalism.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

WOW… this is probably the biggest hit to the MMA world in a long long time.
    Mask was one of the guys that helped push MMA to the front lines.

I am TRULY devastated by this news. Not only was he a pioneer for the MMA industry he was also a pioneer in the world of fashion & marketing.

Dont taken a minute for granted…. you dont get to many.

• Jstew3785 says:

Fiveouncesofpain.com is not the first website to report it. It’s all over the web. It happened around 1am today, so I’m sure by now a next of kin has been notified. I really don’t think this article is in poor taste or is meant to be disrespectful in any way. My thoughts are with Mask and his family

• imgoing_crazy says:

this sucks man

• screwface says:

man this news is sad, you will be missed brother. rest in peace. lived hard and your legacy to the world will forever live on. thx for being you.

• breds88 says:

What a horrible day for MMA.Tapout and Mask was not only a pioneer in making the finest mma colthing line, but it is a company that was started by true fans of MMA. Tapout is MMA and without their support many of the fighters we fan’s love to watch battle in the cage may have never realized their dreams of being fighters. It is with great sorrow that I wish the family and friends of Mask much love in their time of grieving. RIP Mask you will be missed………..

• TerribleT says:

UNBELIEVABLE! This really caught me off guard.I’m still stunned on reading about this.It just doesn’t seem fair at all.I mean i was just watching a video blog of him doing a photo shoot yesterday and he was happy as he’s ever been,laughing and joking all through the shoot High on life!!!! He was always high on life.He touched many lives and will certainly be missed by millions of people all over the world!!!!
    RIP brother you are gone but you will never be forgotten……..

• notdanawhite says:

he followed his dream and made the world a better place.

• MMAsubb says:

I was never really a fan of his but he did so much for the sport and this is such a tragic death. R.I.P man, start getting MMA going upstairs amigo.

• Amigop says:

Does somebody have the url for the picture used in the featured content section?

• king mah mah says:

Wow, I just read this. I hope his family is doing alright. God bless and R.I.P.

• BigDave says:

Bro you will be missed deeply by anyone that had the pleasure of spending even a breif moment with you as i did. May you get all the delights of heaven and i will see you again in the mma heaven in the sky.

• Angry Mike says:

There are pictures of Mask’s Ferrari on a least one other site. It was torn in half, and the halves were 20 or 30 feet apart. Maybe the car was cut apart during extraction, but it doesn’t really look like that. The other driver was in a Porsche and has been charged with vehicular manslaughter. Apparently he blew a .13 two hours after the accident. The legal limit in Cali is .08, so the guy was about two times over the limit at the time of the accident. Sad situation all around.