Report: Nate Diaz vs. Joe Stevenson signed for TUF 9 finale

A lightweight matchup between former winners of The Ultimate Fighter Nate Diaz and Joe Stevenson has been signed for the live finale for the upcoming ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter on June 20.

The UFC has yet to officially announce the matchup but MMAjunkie.com has confirmed the fight with sources close to the bout. MMAMadness.com was the first site to report of the matchup’s possibility.

Both Diaz and Stevenson will look to rebound from recent losses during the TUF 9 finale at the Pearl at the Palm in Las Vegas.

Stevenson, the welterweight winner of TUF season two, suffered his second consecutive defeat last month at UFC 95 in London, England. Facing TUF 1 middleweight winner Diego Sanchez’s in what was Sanchez’s first-ever bout at 155 pounds, Stevenson lost a unanimous decision. The defeat dropped his record to 29-10 and served as his third loss in his last four fights.

Diaz was the lightweight winner from the fifth season of TUF and suffered his first-ever defeat in the Octagon during January’s UFC 94 event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Diaz’s perfect 5-0 lifetime record in the UFC was spoiled by Clay Guida following Guida’s split decision victory over him. The loss reduced Diaz’s record to 10-3.

In addition to Diaz vs. Stevenson, the June 20 finale will also feature the lightweight and welterweight finals from the upcoming season of TUF as well as a welterweight matchup between Anthony Johnson and John Howard.

• Kernal44 says:

Stevenson is in for a long night if he fights the same way he did against Sanchez.

• mmaking says:

Joe Stevenson = Gatekeeper

Penn – Choked out
    Florian – Choked out
    Sanchez – Unam Decision
    Diaz – ?????? my prediction: Triangle choke

• Brandon says:

I think this is a make or break for Stevenson, if he loses this then it would be hard for the UFC to keep him around…

• ZP580 says:

Are yall kidding me here? Stevenson is a much better wrestler and boxer than Guida. Diaz is gonna get his a## handed to him. The only fighters who beat Stevenson are top LWs, nobody else. So to go along with u “mmaking,” Stevenson=Gatekeeper. And Diaz is not a top LW. Stevenson via TKO 2nd round.

• PlagueAngel says:

I’m alittle tired of seeing Stevenson in the main event. Watching him smile at Diego and fighting like a sparring match pissed me off. Why would he smile? He is losing and not doing much about it. I like Diaz, but you have to expect Stevenson to be fighting for his life. His strength might be too much for him, but Diaz’s BJJ skills look much better then Stevensons.

• ZP580 says:

Yo PlagueAngel, this isnt the main event. And as far as Diaz BJJ, it is better, but there is no way he can take Stevenson down.

• Jstew3785 says:

PlagueAngel is my dawG! I completely agree with everything you said man. But to answer your question about Joe Stevenson smiling, it’s like the t-shirt says ” I smile because I have no idea what’s going on….” hahahaha

• ZP580 says:

About the smiling, Sanchez better check his power. He hit Joe with some shots and he never looked stunned.