Report: Couture likely to face Nogueira at UFC 101

Former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion Randy Couture appears set to face former PRIDE and interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at a yet-to-be announced UFC 101 event to take place in August.

The news was first reported by MMAWeekly.com, which is citing sources close to Couture’s camp. A location for UFC 101 has yet to be finalized, but MMA Weekly added that Portland, Oregon is a potential destination.

The 46-year old Couture had been rumored for several bouts in recent months, including a possible fight vs. Mirko Cro Cop this June in Cologne, Germany at UFC 99.

If finalized, the fight would mark Couture’s first bout since losing the UFC heavyweight title to Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 this past November. Fighting for the first time in nearly a year and a half, Couture was TKO’d at 3:07 of round 2.

Nogueira is also coming off a loss in his last bout, a fight in which he lost the interim UFC heavyweight title after suffering a second round TKO against Frank Mir this past December at UFC 92.

• I was hoping that Couture would fight on UFC 100. He is a staple and one of the biggest stars the organization has. I guess with his movie schedule he couldn’t get a full camp in by July. This fight should be a good one.

• Jstew3785 says:

Two fighters way out of their prime going at it. I couldn’t care less.

• hindsightufuk says:

couldnt care less? kids these days, ass

• Jstew3785 says:

Kids? Trust me dickhead, I’m not a kid. I’ve been watching MMA since 1996 and I’ve never cared for either guy. If that makes me an ass, oh well. I understand that they are legends in the sport and I respect what they’ve done, but that doesn’t mean I have to care for them as fighters.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“Kids? Trust me dickhead, I’m not a kid. I’ve been watching MMA since 1996 and I’ve never cared for either guy. If that makes me an ass, oh well.”

I’ve been watching MMA since Rickson was choking out Zula blah blah blah.

That old argument? Shut it, really.

I can’t wait to see these two square off.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sergio Hernandez, I wish the lord would take you now.

• Jstew3785 says:

Also, I’m not using the same argument that these old geezers use. I like MMA much more now than when the Gracie’s and Shamrocks fought. I don’t sit and reminisce about the glory days, which is exactiy why I don’t care about this fight.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“I don’t sit and reminisce about the glory days, which is exactiy why I don’t care about this fight.”

Yeah? UFC 68 and Shockwave 2006 are the “glory days”?

Wow. Before I just THOUGHT you were an idiot. Now I know for sure.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sergio, what the hell are you talking about? You made some stupid comment about Rickson choking out Zulu. You hear all these people say that the real fighting was back when Royce Gracie was fighting and Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and so on. That’s what I was saying. The fighters now are much better and more entertaining. I really don’t care about a 45 year old Randy Couture fighting a washed up Minotauro. Like I said, I don’t care for either guy, never really have.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sergio, if you want to copy and paste more of my posts, copy this 8=======D and stick it up your ass

• KTru says:

Then quit wasting your time on commenting. You come in to say you do not care, but you care enough to argue about it.
    Make up your mind, and let all of us have a grown up conversation.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

KTru: Thank you!

And LOL at Big Nog being washed up. Holy shit, one loss to Frank Mir and these fairweather kids claiming to be MMA fans jump off and set fire to the bandwagon.

• Lord Faust says:

I think this would make for a great fight. Two legends with good stand-up (say what you will, Randy’s dirty boxing is solid) and superb grappling skills. Consider me pre-emptively $50 poorer.

• dpk says:

I agree with most people on here, that I am looking forward to this fight. I just wish it had happened a year earlier. This could be the last big fight for one of these legends of the sport, and it should be a great match.

• PlagueAngel says:

People age and get older and some fighters are younger, but these two guys are not at the “washed up” stage like Ken Shamrock(sorry Ken-its true). Yeah, the fight would have been better three or five years ago, but its not. Randy did farely well against Brock. I heard that Nog was sick in his last fight. It will be a good fight hopefully!